Author Topic: Berkshire?  (Read 837 times)

Jason M.

Berkshire?
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
Then there was the one up the road from B3, The Berkshire Truckstop?  It was a out of the way place, never really crowded, quiet place to sleep.  You can see it through the trees on I90, pretty grown over now.

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
Re: Berkshire?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »
This one closed up about 10yrs ago or so.  When alot of places were being closed down (gas stations, fuel stops, etc) for environmental hazards like dumping oil underground, this was one to go.  I use to run the MassPike to get to my grandmothers and the family would make the trip 5 times a year.  I always remembered this place when your eastbound, right off on the left between the trees after you go past the "Welcome to Massachusetts" sign and go over the overpass.  Few trucks were in there and as the years went on, the place was roped off then the excavating crew was in there to clean up.  Hasn't been used since.  It's a shame, there use to be some decent places from Albany all the way to Worcester for trucks to stop/park.  B3 and Sturbridge are about it.

Jason M.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »
Yeah, the place was kinda hard to get to, for a place that was right beside the big road, you had to drive all over hell to get to it.  I went by last week and everythings been torn down and hauled off.

Rick Sousa

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Back in the day it was a big Scheidner hangout I am going back to when Scheidner had union drivers.

twostickmutt

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
a tornado hit the place in the mid-70's (?). i remember a volkswagon beetle halfway up a tree and an old piel bros. brockway(brooklyn,ny) all twisted up in the parking lot. i think a couple of people were killed there that day too.

mstrdinan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:19 AM »
4 KILLED AND 31 HURT IN BAY STATE TORNADO.

West Strockbridge, Mass. (AP) -- Four persons died and 31 were injured Tuesday as a tornado swept across eastern New York and into western Massachusetts, state police said.
Trees and utility poles were uprooted, and debris was scttered half a mile away from the three-building Berkshire Truck Plaza complex here, where the tornado leveled the State Line Diner.
Three of the dead were identified as ROBERT HOAG, 56, of New Hartford, N.Y.; LOUIS J. PASCALE, 28, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and CONSTANTINE DELMOLINO, 37, of West Stockbridge. A fourth victim, a man, was not immediately identified.
"I heard a snap and looked up and saw the whole roof divide down the middle and blow off," said KEITH LOVELESS of Stockbridge, who was having lunch at the diner.
"I thought I was dead," said another person, ROSA GILRONA of West Stockbridge. "I thought the whole city had been destroyed."
More than 30 state police from Massachusetts and New York and more than 60 volunteers from area fire departments and rescue squads were called to the scene.
The injured were taken to three Pittsfield hospitals. State police said some were treated and released, but there were several names of the danger list.
Lt. Gov. DONALD R. DWIGHT and ROBERT J. BOULAY, western Massachusetts Civil Defense director, flew to the scene to survey the damage.
No estimates of total damage was immediately available.
About 20 trucks and cars were overturned, and gas pumps from the truck complex garage were ripped off their stands.
The tornado apparently struck first at the Berkshire Farm for Boys in Canaan, N. Y., where DONALD J. COX, assistant executive director, estimated damage of $250,000. None of the farm's 225 residents were reported injured.
Electric clocks at the farm stopped at 20 seconds after 1 p.m. It was about 15 minutes later that the storm hit here.

twostickmutt

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:02:49 AM »
i think the piel bros. driver was one of the ones killed. trying to jog the old memory but sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate.