Author Topic: Johnson Feed Inc. (JFI) - Canton, SD  (Read 831 times)

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
Johnson Feed Inc. (JFI) - Canton, SD
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
I've posted trucks from this company off and on.  In looking through my recent pics I found 5 JFI trucks caught on various local Highways/Interstates.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:59:54 PM by norseman »

norseman

• Administrator
Re: 5 Johnson Feed Inc. (JFI) Trucks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
JFI trucks always look good! And these five aren't exceptions - I especially like the T660s, and particularly the first one. The 386 is also very nice, too bad it tried to hide from your camera.  :roll:

Btw, I finally got a JFI DCP model at Walcott this summer.  :-)

Jan.
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." -Mark Twain

wbache

Re: 5 Johnson Feed Inc. (JFI) Trucks
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »

This is an old thread but all the pics are from the same carrier

On I 605 north 3-17-14 ---Cerritos CA

norseman

• Administrator
Re: Johnson Feed Inc. (JFI) - Canton, SD
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
Nice catch, Walt! Very sharp and clean T660 there. :) I notice the truck has a different company name on it, can you by any chance read what the lettering on the door says?

Jan.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:08:28 PM by norseman »
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." -Mark Twain

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
I'll add a 4-pack of my own, from my August 2013 trip. All T660s, all on I-29 in either Iowa or South Dakota, except for the first one, which was on I-80 just west of Omaha, NE.

The I-29'ers.

Jan.

wbache

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
No luck on the tractor ID  but the web site indicates that they have owner operators and it is not unusual in that part of the country for someone to have several trucks leased out and even have their own authority.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
Walt - oh, definitely, I was just curious as to the identity of the truck! Thanks for checkin' for me!  :)

Jan.

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
Great pics!

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
1st time I've seen JFI pulling a curtainside flat/van for Building Procucts Inc.

justin8842

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
1st time I've seen JFI pulling a curtainside flat/van for Building Procucts Inc.

Johnson Feed Inc took over logistics for Crystal refrigerated warehousing in waterloo and Building Products Inc in Evansdale I heared from BPI that it was cheaper to "lease" on a company rather than have company trucks also it was much like Swift and Star Transport they wanted newer trucks so they got 20 Kenworth T660s daycabs all with BPI logos and a few jfi daycabs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:49:19 PM by justin8842 »

wbache

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
I heared from BPI that it was cheaper to "lease" on a company rather than have company trucks also it was much like Swift and Star Transport they wanted newer trucks so they got 20

Private fleets are pretty  much a thing of the past with all the regulations piled on by the DOT-OSHA and others a private fleet needs a compliance officer to sort it all out and that is where the extra expense comes in.  the big truckload carriers like SNI-Swift-England and others already have that in place so adding more trucks to service private accounts spreads out the expense.  See my Shot of the Day post today--SNI  pulling for Emerson Electric.  Emerson had a nice fleet and paid the drivers good wages but running their own trucks didn't cost out anymore.  I drove for General Cable and Johnson Controls and they disappeared years ago both paid union wages and benefits and I still get a pension check from both(Teamsters & UAW).

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »
In the last couple months, I've started to see more and more owner/operators for Johnson Feed Inc.

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
This one caught me by surprise.  There was a company out of Mankato MN that closed their doors, Kristico, that used to have alot of the bulk convenience store gas station deliveries of the softner salt, windshield washer fluid, bundles of lumber, etc...anything that would go on pallets.  Kristico had the Moffet's on the back to assist in unloading too.  That appears to be what this Johnson Feed flatbed is hauling, I wonder if they got some of that business that Kristico doesn't do anymore.  I haven't really seen who has been delivering that stuff to our local stations recently.

Justin, do you have any insight...this doesn't appear to be that Building Products Inc product, or is it?