If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Hank, you know a lot about trucks: I don't...can I ask you a question?  (Read 6837 times)

hank

• Administrator
    • http://www.hankstruckforum/htforum
This was an email I received on September 22, 2009. I'm still not sure if this was a serious email or someone with a really funny sense of humor. I'll let you judge it after reading it.

Here goes...

Subject: Hank, you know a lot about trucks: I don't...can I ask you a question?  I was a passenger...

Hello,

I was a passenger in a great big transport truck and when I got out, the driver did not stop the engine or pull over to a place where I could safely 'unload'.

The result: I fell as I was getting out, not realising how high up I was.

My question: is it normal for a driver getting out of a transport to use a step ladder or something? That cab seemed pretty high up. (Do you know how high?)

If you were driving a cab and someone was a passenger in a truck for the first time, would you tell them anything special about getting out? Would you help them out?

If they fell, would you drive away?

The driver in this case (In Ontario Canada) drove away, says he didn't realise I was hurt, but told his employer anyway. The employer did not tell his insurance company but got someone to call me and ask if I were going to sue.

At the time I didn't know what was going on. (I had a terrible head injury and my head hurt too bad to think....that was 3 years ago, and I still feel the pain!).

Tomorrow is a 'discovery' at the court house. (Wednesday, September 23).

I believe that the driver cannot be telling the truth, but just so that I might have another driver's opinion, would it be normal to help a first time passenger out of the vehicle? Or at least provide a step ladder or step stool?

Can you help me please? I thank you for any help you can provide.

Name withheld (just in case it was for real).

Hank Suderman

cdntrucky@shaw.ca

Hank's Truck Forum

Sean

• Future trucker in America
Re: Hank, you know a lot about trucks: I don't...can I ask you a question?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
Thats a tough one Hank, IMO it seems around 65% real and alittle bit humurous  :| Not sure Hank....

Sean

-My baby, 1997 F250HD XLT, RCLB, 4x4, 7.3L Powerstroke.

D. Steven

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
I think it's someone with a sense of humour, but who knows?

jrtrucker

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
i dont have a clue what to say. :|

Ray F

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »
Uh If This was real, IMO This Person Really needs To Stay away from a Truck, Because If they Dont see the Steps on The side of the Truck To get Down, They Need to Open their Eyes  :roll: :roll: Just another "IDIOT" Uh I Mean Person Just trying to SUE Somebody, IMO These "LAWDOGS" As I Call Them Need to Stick The Lawsuits, Where The Sun Dont Shine  :x :x :evil:

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:12:48 AM »
Hmmm......, very interesting, but lacking a great deal of detail which would be helpful.

I'm thinking that this person is not on the up and up from what I read.
How can one climb up into the cab of a 40 ton semi, ride in it for who knows how long, and not realize that they are four feet off the ground?

Unless they are genuinely intellectually challenged, perhaps have little life experience, might have no sense of the world around them, or they were really high on some kind of drug, or not taking their prescribed medication properly.

If the driver had shoved them out of the truck, it might have been more believable.
Then again....,  there's always a slim chance that they are legit.

If this person wins their case, I want to know who their lawyer is, to represent me.
He/She would have to be a real shark, which I could have used when the bread truck hit me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:22:36 AM by Wee Willy »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

michael

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
I'm wondering if this person took a tumble while trying to descend from the cab of a cabinover? They aren't the handiest truck to get into or out of on the best day IF you aren't familiar with them. Another reason why a 3 POINT contact is so important while entering/exiting a truck.

Paccar 105

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »
the most common mistake people make who aren't familiar with cabovers is to get out facing out.You have to exit like decending a ladder,facing the inside.Whenever i have had someone in the truck , who aren't familiar with cabover, that is allways the problem.

I do have to say that the mail is very strange.It is allmost like the driver didn't want him in his cab,so what was the guy doing there?And why sue?Moneyhungry?I don't know.

Very strange

JakeQ

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »
My question is this...... Since you asked if truckers use a stepladder to get out of their trucks, HOW THE HECK did you get in the truck in the first place? Also... What were you doing in the truck in the first place? Was it a friends truck? Family member? I dont know too many truckers who would drive off without making sure I was safe and clear from the truck, Well except my friend Sean but hes a different story all together :-o :roll:

Ray F

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »
If this was a True Story, Then The Person who was the Passenger must Really Lack Those 2 Little Words "COMMON SENSE"  :roll: :roll:

All I Have to say on this Matter is, I Guess when They Said BRAINS, That Person Thought They Said TRAINS!!!!!!  :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: or Better Yet, That Person is about as Dumb as a "Bag of Hammers"  :lol: :lol: :evil:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:12:01 PM by Ray F »

Pipeman

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »
I would have thought that  you would have reversed your movements getting into the truck.

LocalCoilHauler

• A Dirty Truck is a Working Truck
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
i dont have a clue what to say. :|
Me neither :o :o :-\
It's Appearance might be Half yours but it's Reliability might be Twice yours!!

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs