Author Topic: MACK R model pick up conversion  (Read 1530 times)

NYC GARBAGEMAN

MACK R model pick up conversion
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »
Anyone have any info and pics on how to do it....I was goin to do an autocar but I think the nose will be too heavy compared to a fiberglass mack hood

Jason M.

Re: MACK R model pick up conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
A man by the name of George Sprowl in Searsmont, Maine has built several, a couple of B's and at least one R.  Looks as though the R conversion uses a uncut R cab, where the B  uses a chopped and channeled cab.  I've seen his R conversion up close, not bad looking, set up on a Ford 1-ton chassis.  The hood, as you might suspect, is heavily modified, shortened, and the fenders are reworked to match the smaller wheels and tires of a 1-ton.  He goes by "Antique Express" also his family runs a lumber/truss operation in Searsmont.  A US Mail hauler in Bangor, ME has one of his R's His name is McEvoy, I think.

Reliable Randy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
I would use a short wheelbase motorhome chassis rather than a pickup chassis, seems like less work. But that's just me.

NYC GARBAGEMAN

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
I was thinkin bout using a dodge 3500 single cab dualie with a cummins......Im looking for som pics of some finished

ThaddeusW

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
NYC Gman,

If your thinking of doing a Mack then please head over to www.bigmacktrucks.com and start there. Barry, the sites administrator runs the watts Mack parts department and helped source parts for one of the best B model pickup conversions I have seen. Plenty of members have tons of experience and can help you start off on the right foot.

Where in NYC are you? I am in Ozone Park, Queens.
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
|==ASCII Trucking =====|'|""";,____,
|__,,,_,,,__________====_____|....,]
***(@)'(@)*******#|(@)(@)*****(@)

NYC GARBAGEMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:43 AM »
I live in the 5 towns.......my trucks service brooklyn,manhattan,queens and nassau......we pick up the mandees and annie sez stores in ozone park...rockaway and cross bay

ThaddeusW

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
I live in the 5 towns.......my trucks service brooklyn,manhattan,queens and nassau......we pick up the mandees and annie sez stores in ozone park...rockaway and cross bay

That's just two blocks from where I live! Which company?
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
|==ASCII Trucking =====|'|""";,____,
|__,,,_,,,__________====_____|....,]
***(@)'(@)*******#|(@)(@)*****(@)