If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Diamond In The Rough (A Thread for The Progress on My Big Truck)  (Read 75306 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Re: Diamond In The Rough (A Thread for The Progress on My Big Truck)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »
Ryan, maybe everyone can keep an eye out at truck shows for the Diamond Reo COE's and bring back some ideas (and photos)

This one was at the Baltimore ATHS show a couple of years ago.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »

ParkinLot

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 04:25:44 PM »
"Diamonds Are Forever"  :-D Cool! That red one is a handsome unit...good paint scheme, just trade the colours to suit. That would look good.  8-)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
Well, got to clean some of the grime off of the passenger side yesterday. I also took some detail shots of random things. :wink:
These marks will not wash off with soap and water. Floor is ready to throw the diamond plate in. The lighter plug is missing on the passenger side along with the face and handle of the ash tray. What would shine the fake wood grain stuff up nicely? The lower part of the doghouse is leather. Would shoe polish help this look better?

The little silver handle is the inside door handle (which is missing on the driver's side, I have to roll down the window to open that door) and the little black "T" handle is for the passenger side tool box. I CAN'T get it open! The latch is broken somewhere and the box won't open no matter what I do with the handle. I can't remove the board where the bed was because you've got to go at some of the bolts from the bottom (which are IN the toolbox I guess). I'm counting on finding a fortune inside when I get there. Any ideas?

The sleeper... I need to find something to fill the two holes in the cieling (probably speakers) and I think the sleeper can stay original (after a new matress). I need knobs for both of the vents though and need to figure out something with the one seatbelt strap that was cut. The dome light works though!

This is the driver side tool box after removing the garbage, but before vacuuming. I threw away a BUNCH of crap... mostly empty bottles and cans of various automotive fluids. I kept some pipe that I can use for leverage when jacking up the cab, a spare electrical plug, a bungee cord, a spare fuel cap, and the reflective triangles.

One of my clearance lights is peeling. Any way to fix that or do I need to replace it?

Here's the odometer... don't know how many times it's been turned over.

What would this be? Hour meter maybe?

Gauges... the top row doesn't work, the only factory gauges that work are the speedometer and tachometer. However, there's an aftermarket water temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge that work. I don't know what the bottom-left button is supposed to do.

More gauges, the stop engine switch and hazard switch are broken, but the hazard switch on the steering column works.

Buttons... the window button doesn't work because the passenger window has no regulator in it, I believe it is air operated, but the old owner said electric. The headlights need some bugs worked out... the switch doesn't work quite right.

More buttons... I'm missing a knob on the temperature controls and I don't even know what the two toggles on the far right do. Any ideas?

Random tag I found in the driver side tool box.

Found the information tag!

Looks like it IS a factory turbo.

Model CO8864D.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

five_oh18

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Looks good so far, always nice to see someone save a classic truck.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
I believe the 318 actually had 304 hp @ 2100 rpm and the 318 hp was reached @ 2300 rpm.

If so, your engine would probably be the one that was known back then as the "350" Detroit.
Jim

ParkinLot

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »
You asked about something to clean the woodgrain...I have used Armor All, Mother's, and even Pledge furniture polish and have been pleased with them all. Usually once I use a product in a vehicle I stick with that same product for the duration rather than switching back and forth. I would use Mother's on that leather and vinyl too, of all those types of products Mother's is my personal preferance. I use a lot of Spray Nine when cleaning, nuthin' beats it! Then I "dress" vinyl and leather with Mother's. Bon Ami is my favorite glass cleaner and Autosol is my favorite polish for wheels, tanks, etc.
It's great to see you makin' progress and if you find that gold in the sidebox be sure to share!  :-D

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm not getting much accomplished lately. I'm busy dealing with insurance stuff for the Ford. However, today I went out north of town to Traction Truck Parts and found that they have ALL KINDS of fun things. It's much cheaper than chrome shops and truckstops and they said with most things, if they don't have it, they can order it or make it. I'm gonna go out there and grab some quarter fenders, mudflap hangers, mudflaps, stainless tips, horn covers, exhaust flappers, and convex mirrors. Hopefully you'll start seeing some progress pictures soon as I add the small stuff. There's a couple knobs and a button that I need for the interior that I wonder if I can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm also thinking I might be puting the diamond plate on the floors soon because I've got the passenger seat out anyway and the driver's seat will come out when I get that far in cleaning. I need to cut a length of wood long enough to brace the passenger window all the way up as a shortcut since I can't find a window regulator. I still need to cut a length of wood to brace up the cab too. I'm gonna buy some seat covers at Wal-mart instead of re-upholstering the seats. I think I can have my friend weld me a step that's a pretty close match to the factory one to mount on the driver's side. Also, I need to get a seat belt for the driver's side (broken) and replace one that goes up in front of the bed (cut). I found in LMC's catalog I can buy Ford factory lap belts of any color and that might be what I do since I don't count on being able to find Diamond Reo seatbelts. In short, I'm taking a lot of shortcuts in this restoration because I'm poor and because of the rarity making it near impossible to find factory parts (at least for now).

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 04:59:15 PM »
Here's two handles on the floor (don't pay any attention to the twigs and torn-up insulation). I think they are supposed to look identical, but the arms were broken off the one. My question is this, which one of these is the kill switch and what does the other one do? The original owner said that the handle just pulls off because it's out of adjustment, so I haven't even tried either of them (since I don't know which is which)... I've just been killing it by puting it in top gear and letting the clutch out the few times I've started it.

Hayrunner

• www.westcoasthay.com
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
Thats where the kill cable is on the F. And if I recall I did route it down into the fuel box to kill it.
"CHANGE 08" What the hell is the world comin' to. Sheriff Bufford T. Justice

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »
Do you know which handle though, or do I need to go trace the cables from them tomorrow? I know you mentioned one of them closing something off that's difficult to reset or something and that's what has scared to try them so far. :-P

I figure once I discover which one is the regular kill switch, it'll probably be an easy job to adjust it and solve the problem.

jpgraphiks

• That's Headly Lamar.....
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:27 PM »
Hi, Ryan

thought I would post this over here, too....
The truck is really coming along nicely. All this detail work will pay off and then comes the fun of putting the new stuff on!

best of luck and keep the pics coming

JP

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:04 AM »
Thank you very much. I hope to have a few updates for you guys soon... yesterday was another interior cleaning day. Still have a long way to go though. :roll:

Phill

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
hey PB, did you ever get that tool box open ?

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Actually, yes. Yesterday, I was about to cut through the wood into it and me and my friend gave it another try. I pulled the handle out until I heard a pop (like I've done several times before) while he was pulling on the door. I got angry and slammed the handle back in with the palm of my hand and the door popped open. Not much other than a couple of useful interior pieces and a BUNCH of garbage.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »
Well, had to move the truck out of the way to get the camper out. It'll be parked behind the camper I think until it's close to road-worthy. It leaks a little oil and the walking beam suspension leaves some tire tracks. :roll:

Got the Reo backed all the way to the rear and the Ford still in the garage where the insurance guys can't get it! :x

The reason the Reo now goes in back is because it's experiencing some problems right now, which I believe may be caused by sucking sludge out of the diesel tanks now that the fuel level is getting lower. I'm gonna treat the fuel when I get back from vacation. Kind of a bummer to have a truck run so great and then just start acting up out of nowhere. :|

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs