If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: INTERNATIONAL Scout Prototype  (Read 4033 times)

Put The Hammer Down

INTERNATIONAL Scout Prototype
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:23:08 AM »
If International didn't discontinue the Scout the next one would have looked like this prototype

/i]

I saw it at the Auburn - Cord - Duesenburg Museum in Auburn, Indiana

Hank's Truck Forum

INTERNATIONAL Scout Prototype
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:23:08 AM »

WesV

Re: INTERNATIONAL Scout Prototype
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »
That is the IH SSV

The SSV ("Supplemental Scout Vehicle") was a late-1970's developmental program in which a lot of things were tried as they worked to come up with a vehicle to add to the Scout line. Nothing was really finalized about the design. Hence there are some significant differences among the photos and specimens known to exist.

There were probably ten or a dozen prototype SSV's built over several years, probably no two of them identical. They came in various colors, some molded in--I recall white, orange, and an ugly green, and some were painted. I believe the one at the Auburn-Cord-Dusenberg Museum (pictured below) is painted a bronze color (not orange as I remembered) and was the one that was taken to various shows around the country to get customer reaction.

I would think the one at the ACD Museum was probably close to what might have been the final design if it had reached production. Therefore, it was probably the most complete one that existed.

The project first started out as the Scout 85, because of a planned 85-inch wheelbase. Then it grew to about 90 inches, and finally ended up on the standard 100-inch wheelbase. I recall some variations in rear end design -- some opened, some didn't, and other variations.

Most of them were cut up when testing was completed as they were not vehicles that could be certified for highway use and sold.

I am aware of the 2 complete vehicles remaining: one at the ACD Museum and the one that JB Hunt reportedly acquired. There is also a body and a lot of the unique parts that were collected by a Road Test Mechanic when IH auctioned off a lot of suplus parts at the end of the Scout program. He said he was going to build his own SSV, but I have yet to see it.

Information courtesy of Howard Pletcher.

This was copied from the BinderPlanet Wiki found here: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Default:main+page

Howard Pletcher is one of the most reliable sources of information regarding the IH truck production lines as he was fairly high up at the Fort Wayne Scout plant administration.

Put The Hammer Down

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
Thanks for adding that information, it's a shame a lot of prototypes get cut up.

I found this article interesting:

Another area IH could have succeeded in was the Van type vehicles as they had designed the 1st of this type machine in the early 70ís, only to kill the program and layoff the group responsible. Most of the people went to Chrysler in Detroit with the idea and design. In short, Chrysler is not the original designers as they say they are. IH was. The rest is history.

Don Abel-Waterloo, Iowa

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:37:25 PM by Put The Hammer Down »

WesV

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:14:52 AM »
Thanks for adding that information, it's a shame a lot of prototypes get cut up.

I found this article interesting:

Another area IH could have succeeded in was the Van type vehicles as they had designed the 1st of this type machine in the early 70ís, only to kill the program and layoff the group responsible. Most of the people went to Chrysler in Detroit with the idea and design. In short, Chrysler is not the original designers as they say they are. IH was. The rest is history.

Don Abel-Waterloo, Iowa

It might take me a bit, but I should be able to come up with a pic of the van prototype.  The name has slipped my mind but it was another ___star style name.

Put The Hammer Down

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »
I can't find the name of that van either, if you do please post it.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs