If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Overnite  (Read 4624 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Overnite
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:09:53 AM »
The thread below reminded me of Overnite. This isn't the same as the US carrier with the same name but a Quebec based carrier. They had a short hood Sicard that I would see fairly regularly during the 1960's. They had a terminal in Agincourt in far east end Toronto. They were aquired by the CNR owned carrier Husband Truck Lines and that merged carrier was Husband-Overnite.
The equipment I remember was painted black and included International fleetstars and Vee liners as well as the Sicards.

Where was their head office; Montreal?
How much of La Belle Province did they serve?

Hank's Truck Forum

Overnite
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:09:53 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

carl_roy

Overnite
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 04:19:06 AM »
If memory serves me right  I believe they towards the end didn't they share there yard and operations with Speedway and Bellechase.

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
Overnite
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 07:46:31 PM »
Overnite Express had their main office in Hull Quebec. They were running Montreal -Ottawa-Hull passing by St-Jerome & Lachute. They also had rights in Ontario to Toronto, Pembrooke and Hamilton . Sometime in the beginning of the eighties they have been bought by Ren? Bussi?res who was at this time they owner of  Speribel (Speedway , Rimouski & Bellechasse )   . I think that he sold all the outfit to the CN later.

When I was student in Montreal in the middle of the sixties, Overnite trucks were passing by my window  on their way to or from Hull. They were running at the time  dark green International Loadstar  with yellow inscriptions.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Lachute Quebec
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 04:50:08 AM »
Quote from: G. Laplante
Overnite Express had their main office in Hull Quebec. They were running Montreal -Ottawa-Hull passing by St-Jerome & Lachute.
When I was student in Montreal in the middle of the sixties, Overnite trucks were passing by my window  on their way to or from Hull. They were running at the time  dark green International Loadstar  with yellow inscriptions.

My grandmother lived Lachute. She lived in the large house right by the bridge over the North River.
I also remember Boyd's Express trucks running on (wasn't it Highway 8) the main street through Lachute.
Do you remember the large railway water tower in the west end of town? That was the sign for a small child that we were nearly there.
I haven't been to Lachute for 40 years.

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
Overnite
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 05:38:20 PM »
I am sorry , but I never went  in Lachute or nearby. But I have an activity  next spring in this area and I will certainly  visit the region.

I have in from of my eyes two advertisements that have been published in Transport Commercial  in 1959. It is a Quebec trucking magazine that was published in the fifties.

One of these advertisement is for  Highway Trailers and is illustrated by a Boyd's Express truck . The truck is a GMC two axles tractor from the mid-fifties and we can clearly read on the door that they are from Lachute.

The other one is from Mack trucks and is illustrated by a Mack B, I guess that it is a B-61 from Overnite Express of Hull Qc.  The president of Overnite, M.E.Noel say in the text that is company have tried  various brands and models of trucks and that their Macks are the best. It is funny because between 1964-66 I have seen  quite a few Overnite trucks passing by my window  and I have never seen a Mack. All of them were International . As for the Sicard, they may have bought them later . Sicard started to built highway truck only at the end of the sixties.

Barclay T. Bennett

Overnite Express
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 11:24:48 AM »
I remember Overnite Express in the early 70's when they were going strong , Hull,QC . They were on my route for Parts Delivery. I believe at the time they were owned by the Grey Nuns ?? I'd walk through their repair shop to get a signature and was impressed on how well they would completely rebuild a Tractor from the ground up.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: Overnite Express
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:07:57 PM »
Quote from: Barclay T. Bennett
I remember Overnite Express in the early 70's when they were going strong , Hull,QC . They were on my route for Parts Delivery. I believe at the time they were owned by the Grey Nuns ?? I'd walk through their repair shop to get a signature and was impressed on how well they would completely rebuild a Tractor from the ground up.

I thought the Gray Nuns (whom I really know nothing about) were partially the owners aof Canada Staemship Lines and through CSL Kingway.
I am open to correction.

Barclay T. Bennett

Overnite Express
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:16:18 PM »
Rob:  Your in a better position to know more about the Trucking Industry than I. Time wise for Overnite being sold off in the early 80's stands to be correct from my recollection. My Father worked for McDonalds Tobacco and they used Overnite exclusively to deliver up and down the Ottawa Valley. It was through him that I heard of the Grey Nuns being the Owners. The Nuns had their fingers stuck quit deep in the Transportation Industry at one time. Thanks for your response.  BTB

Hank's Truck Forum

Overnite Express
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:16:18 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs