If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS  (Read 6476 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS
« on: December 09, 2003, 07:18:37 PM »
There used to be quite a few Canadian trucking companies that hauled new cars from the manufacturers to the dealers:

GENERAL MOTORS:
Roadway - They had dark blue tractors with white markings on the doors.
They ran GM's of course. I believe they had a switch or relay yard in Kingston.
Charlton - I remember them hauling GM products. What colour were they? A beige sort of tractor? They ran GM (of course) 960 COEs.

FORD
Maris Transport - White super duty Fords. Louisvilles later of course. They were bought out by Auto Haulaway.
McCallum - had a small yard in Oakville on Maple Grove  Road. McCallum was a division of Dominion Freightways.

CHRYLSER
I can't remember any dedicated  trucking company for Chrysler. Does anyone remember who did their work?

Hank's Truck Forum

CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS
« on: December 09, 2003, 07:18:37 PM »

Daryl

CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 03:15:33 PM »
Rob, Did'nt Mc Kinlay or an affiliate of Mc Kinlay have dedicated Chrysler Car Hauling contracts?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
McKinlay?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 09:36:34 AM »
I know they do (or did) parts for Chyrsler Bramalea.
I didn't know that they did actual car hauling.
That reminds me..........remember AMC (American Motors) in Brampton? I believe Maris did them as well.
I owned the 1976 model of one of the WORST cars ever built....a GREMLIN. It was appropriately named. :evil:

Note to Doug McKenzie.....you are familiar with Haines Road leading to Dundas? I got STUCK on that little grade in my Gremlin in a snow storm.
  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
Canadian Car Haulers
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 06:47:22 PM »
Was Charlton part of Leaseway?  I recall that some Anchor Motor Freight tractors had the markings "and/or Charlton Transport" on the cab doors under the Anchor name and logo.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

carhauler

CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 04:22:17 PM »
I shot photo of Leaseway rig in late '80's lettered Charlton.

carhauler

CANADIAN CAR CARRIERS
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »
The Charlton I shot was an Anchor rig I believe. The "transport Charlton" logo may have been a temporary sign above the Anchor logo.
Roadway also hauled some Chrysler vehicles on swing fender Dodges.
I wrote the book, "American Car Haulers" and there is a shot of one in it.
Roadway became "ACL Auto Carriers LTD". Trucks were white and browm with orange or red wheels

Diesel Gypsy

Car Haulers
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 02:05:09 PM »
Car carriers;

No one seems to have mentioned INTER MOUNTAIN Car Carriers, of Calgary Alberta and Windsor Ontario. The company hauled FORD products to the west from Windsor. They were actually an Alberta Company. In the late 1940?s and 1950?s they had conventional Ford flathead gas job tractors. They were white in colour with black writing on the doors, and would run like a terrified deer. They ran single without any sleepers. They traveled south to Shelby Montana, and then East to Michigan on US # 2, across the Macinac Straits by boat, and down to Detroit, or depending the mood they were in, they may go arround Chicago, crossing into Windsor Ontario from the Ambassador Bridge. (That is the first time I had ever heard of the word ?Bennies?.) --- Diesel Gypsy

carl_roy

car carriers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 04:00:37 AM »
Years ago I a book put out by the O.T.A. about the history of trucking in Ontario. In this book it had Trans Canada Truck Lines picture Loaded with 1950 Chevs on a tarp top van. The gest of the story is for a little time they brought beef from the west in this trailer that had a reefer and cars west. Apparently it didn't work out too well and the east bound load had spoilage.
 One thing I must add of a personal note we as truckers,consumers,and any other thing you might add we should be proud as how our industry can be flexible.

Hank's Truck Forum

car carriers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 04:00:37 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs