If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Nevada Northern Railway  (Read 4706 times)

Jimmy B

Nevada Northern Railway
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
Just down the road a piece from Reno, that would be about 350 miles east on US 50 is the town of Ely, NV home to the Nevada Northern Railway, which has been added to the National Historic Site list. This is probably one of the best persevered shortline railroads in the United States, a real living museum.

Although it hauls only tourist these days its roots are from the age of copper. It is 100 years old now and it is a real gem. Here is a link to a 5 minute video that gives a viewer a sense of the timelessness of the place (HD Video only those with High Speed connections clic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpxq8mzzw8&fmt=22

My thinking is that this sure would be a swell place to pose some old time trucks with some old time locomotives...

I can picture a CF cabover with a pup staged by the enginehouse in a scene with one of those alco diesel in the background...

Oh, by the way, here is a link to there web site:

http://nevadanorthernrailway.net/

Jimmy B

Hank's Truck Forum

Nevada Northern Railway
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »

Ray F

Re: Nevada Northern Railway
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
Excellent Pics Jimmy  :-D :-D BTW I Think a Certain Yellow GMC Brigadier with a Pup would look better because it matches the some of the Locomotives  :-D :-D

wbache

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:29:58 AM »
Excellent shots. My recollection is that most of the activity was around the smelter in McGill which of course is shut down and was a source of traffic for the rail line. Times have changed and so have traffic patterns but in the 60's and 70's there was not a lot of truck traffic either on US 93-50 or US 6 altho I believe Garrett ran 93.  I only remember one very small truck stop in Ely. This is an area of the country where you could run for miles without seeing a light at night.

Jimmy B

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes, I think they are kind of nice...

Jimmy B

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Those are some beautiful trains Jim... thanks for posting them, I really liked these.

Updated 8/10/2018

dino9854

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »
took my son there about 6 years ago on our way to lake tahoe, both of us really enjoyed it. :-D :-D

wbache

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
In the March 09 issue of Railroad and Railfan which I received today there is a picture of of consolidated #93 which has been restored to service following an overhaul of the running gear. there are no buildings in the background but it is standing next to a stand pipe to fill the tender with water if you have visited and can relate to that location. Typical NV landscape in winter.

Jimmy B

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »
In the March 09 issue of Railroad and Railfan which I received today there is a picture of of consolidated #93 which has been restored to service following an overhaul of the running gear. there are no buildings in the background but it is standing next to a stand pipe to fill the tender with water if you have visited and can relate to that location. Typical NV landscape in winter.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread. When I posted it, I though you might take an interest in it...

Jimmy B

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
Here is an ore train coming down from the mine and concentrator near Ruth. Pictured at the curved tunnel just above Ely in 1998. On a more recent trip to the Museum during 2005 I was given the opportunity to marshal a sister unit to 205, the 204,doing some switching around the yard in East Ely. Lots of fun.

Jimmy B
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:02:01 AM by Jimmy B »

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
205 reminds me of the CSX diesels I see passing by my neihborhood.  It's a beautiful picture.

Updated 8/10/2018

Jimmy B

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
205 reminds me of the CSX diesels I see passing by my neihborhood.  It's a beautiful picture.

Greg,

Glad you liked it...

Jimmy B

wbache

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:38 AM »
Tht shot of the ore train reminds me of the areas east of Phoenix like the Globe area but more specifically when Johnson Controls had the NAPA battery acccount we used to service a lot of rural stores and there were a couple in Kearny and Hayden . The SP had a branch that ran into Hayden and there was a sideing behind the NAPA store with a ramp where SP   spotted cars.  The mine operators would truck the ore and dump it off the ramp into the cars on the siding. Along the road that ran back to Hayden from Superior were some pretty steep grades and off to the side was an abandoned open pit that was pretty big. I believe SP later spun off that branch to a short line operator. I don't believe it was still operateing but there was a smelter in Hayden and it had a tall stack like the one you used to see on the west side of Elpaso operated by ASARCO. One of the Rail magazines had a piece on the rail operations around Globe a couple of years ago. We also did a NAPA store in Bisbee another old mining town. A JCI NAPA load would be a grand tour of AZ and included places like Springerville -Show Low and Safford--more than a dozen stops and so far apart it would take 3 days to make them all.

Bet you had fun practicing your engineer skills--at least you don't have to steer. Always wanted to be a railroader but after WW2 the rails didn't hire for years as they abandoned trackage and discontinued passenger service.

Jimmy B

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
That sounds as if you had a good time of it keeping track of these outfits. I can see why you like trains, that's a good deal. When I entered the work force it was the same deal, the railroads where still shirnking and there just wasn't any jobs in my area.

Do you have any of David Myricks books? He's the guy that wrote the series on titled Railroads of Arizonia and New Mexico.

Jimmy B

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs