If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Rare Swift combo in the east  (Read 2868 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Rare Swift combo in the east
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
This picture was taken in 1987, just as the truck entered Pa from Ohio on I-80.  Swift trucks were rare to see in this area back then, and this west coast style truck and trailer made for an even bigger surprise.

Hank's Truck Forum

Rare Swift combo in the east
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Rare Swift combo in the east
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
Great catch.  8-) Bet you were just praying that your batteries wouldn't die or some other camera malfunction wouldn't happen.  :lol: I know i would have.

pons

• Life is good
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »
That is a great catch Paul. Very rare to see a tractor set-up like that in Ohio/Penn back then 8-)
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."   Quote: Yogi Berra

mike b

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
This picture was taken in 1987, just as the truck entered Pa from Ohio on I-80.  Swift trucks were rare to see in this area back then, and this west coast style truck and trailer made for an even bigger surprise.

The paint scheme on the cab is not Swifts. I wonder if this truck is not from a buyout Swift did back then?

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »
I think it is a Swift paint scheme, the colors on the cab match the typical Swift trailer stripes.

JOSH403

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
What is the complete reasoning for this setup? I'm guessing it's something to do with before 53'ers were common?? GTI use to run a few of these combo's around here too. Thanks for the picture.

mike b

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
I think it is a Swift paint scheme, the colors on the cab match the typical Swift trailer stripes.

If you are correct then this is a truly unique picture/truck. Being born and raised on the West Coast i have been watching Swift for years and I have never seen that paint scheme on a Swift company truck. As far as I know the standard corperate paint scheme Swift used in the early days is seen in the picture below.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:03:07 PM by mike b »

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
I could be wrong, but if it is from another carrier, those colors are pretty darn close to swift.  :-)

They've been around in some capacity since 1966, I believe, so maybe they had a few variations mixed into the fleet.  Personally I don't recall seeing any from before the late '80's.

CW

• Regular Membership
    • http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/wendt.htm
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »
Wow, I had totally forgotten about these trucks!  Back when my dad started with Swift in 1993, these were relatively common, at least in the Phoenix yard.  I remember most of them being flatbeds though...but it's been 16 years so my memory isn't too great.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs