Author Topic: L. G. DeWitt, Pompano Beach, FL  (Read 3075 times)

John M. Pasko

• Regular Membership
L. G. DeWitt, Pompano Beach, FL
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »
Anyone have any idea whatever happened to this produce hauling outfit? Nice fleet of White Freightliners, red in color. Up and down the east coast that I know of.
"Been there... done that."

charlie

• Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: L. G. DeWitt, Pompano Beach, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
Still around according to this link but not a pretty story.  :-( I remember seeing one of their trucks (white Volvo) about 4-5 years ago in the Carolinas; i'll scan it for you if i can find it John.

http://www.georgesmay-casehistories.com/dewitt_trucking.html

curtis

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »
l g dewitt was out of ellerbe nc and he owned textile motor freight across the road from dewitts office.atone time it was biggest produce hauler around.dewitt was nationwide trucker.he had office in los angeles ca nogales az orlando fl pompano fl and at different times temporary office according to crops.mr dewitt owned race car that benny parsons drove to championship in 70s. he also raised peaches and had a few peach packing sheds.at time of his operation his shop could build a freightliner cab as good as the factory could. mr dewitt was a fine fellow to drive for. i drove for him and pulled for him quite afew years.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com

L. G. Dewitt Trucking out of Ellerbe, NC at the Springfield farmers market complex in summer 1974. L.G. Dewitt was another one of those long time Southern reefer fleets you'd see running up and down the East Coast in the 60's & 70's. Hopefully someone knows some history about L.G. Dewitt to share with us fellow trucking buffs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:41:35 AM by Rob Archer »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
Re: L. G. DeWitt, Pompano Beach, FL - Textile Motor Lines
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »

Here's a classic Southern reefer fleet, Textile Motor Lines, Inc. from Ellerbe, NC was a common sight up and down the highways of the East Coast for years. #275 was at the Springfield, MA farmers market in 1974.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
and I found one more.......Re: L. G. DeWitt, Pompano Beach, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »
in Russel's collection: :-D

Thanks Russ for getting those pictures. 8-)

US MAIL GUY

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:35 AM »
I've got a late photo of a Volvo/van with new logos on page 20 of my photo pages. Mr. DeWhitt
also was the majority owner in the nascar tracks at Rockingham,N.C. & Atlanta,Ga. at one time.
                                                                                               Gary

krooser

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
He also ran his own Cup team for many years.

US MAIL GUY

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
Krooser,
   Benny Parsons was his driver. They won the Winston Cup championship in 72'  I think.
                                                                                      Gary

z1000rcr

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:38:18 AM »