If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Jumbo Motor Express  (Read 9027 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Re: Jumbo Motor Express
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
This GMC General was WB on 401 on the east side of Toronto in 1981

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »

wig wag

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »
Now if I can remember right it was a fellow called John Mathus that was one of the owners of Jumbo Moter Express. I think he also had something to do with Maine Maratime too. Jumbo started out with volume vans hauling full loads out of Syms Brushes from St> John NB. Then they got rights to haul other freight and grew from there. I bought a used F600 model Mack in fredricton NB, It had to be painted company colours before we started. Cant remember  what colour it was called but it was kind of a torquise with a white band around the cab and the frame was omaha orange. Engine was a 673/250 horse and a two stick 15 speed. Heavy load (42k) lbs. and the hills on the old two lane hwys. was just like rowing a boat. The trans Canada wasnt finished then. We were paid the grand sum of 32 cents per mile. Nothing else. Sometimes sat in NB or Nova Scotia for a cuppla days waiting for a load back.Only stuck it out for two years, left the Mack at the dealers in Fredricton, cut the plates off, bumbed a ride back to Ontario and got a job with Hutton Transport close to home.Jumbo had a big turn over of brokers, A bunch of real good guys though. If a fellow stopped at the top of a hill to have a leak, someone coming the other way would stop and holler over to see if you were ok. Do that in Ontario you would darn near get run over....Oh yes I have two pictures of the Mack with the trailer taken by a rock cut on the 401 at Kingston  but they are just a cuppla snapshots......
Blue and orange was the way I remembered Jumbo. We had an old C O E emeryville in our shop at Diamond Leasing in Oakville that belonged to
a broker at Jumbo. It had two speed rear ends and an aluminum frame.  The truck was very old and tired.
I forgot all about the new colours in C.J.'s pic.
The other big source of compitition to and from the Maritines back in the 70's was Canadian National Railway. They had low rates to get the freight
off the trucks.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:40:49 AM »

funcruise

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 12:02:11 AM »
We had an old C O E emeryville in our shop at Diamond Leasing in Oakville that belonged to
a broker at Jumbo. It had two speed rear ends and an aluminum frame.  The truck was very old and tired.

When I was on with Jumbo there was an old fellow with an International Emeryville. His name was Oscar and he was from western Europe somewhere. He kind of kept to himself.I wounder perhaps that might be the same truck?

Douglas Macfie

• Regular Membership
  • Those were the times
    • http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~macfie/speedway.htm
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
I had found this at one time  i know there are more articles in Motor Truck,  but I have to get back tot he library to scann them

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~macfie/laidlaw-jumbo(1).jpg

funcruise

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
I lived in Exeter for quite a few years and asked Ben Tuckey for a job once and was told I didnt have enough experience to drive one of his trucks so I went out and bought one of my own and hired it on with Jumbo. Funny how things go round. Back in those days Ben had a lot of B model Macks and a lot of rag top trailers. That was in the middle sixtys....

Zip

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:51 PM »
Jumbo Transport...

I once worked at IFL ---> Interline Forwarders Ltd. which eventually became Railfast, IFL Railfast, then TNT Railfast. Nevertheless, the ol'e pig yard at the end of Manister Rd, was next to the Jumbo terminal. This was in the early 80's, at that time it was well known to us at IFL that they were in financial trouble.

Speaking of Manster Rd, just off N. Queensway Extention, Chi-Can, Magnum Express, and a couple of others had operations there.

On another note: I am happy to of discovered this forum, great reading.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 03:08:20 AM »
Jumbo Transport...

I once worked at IFL ---> Interline Forwarders Ltd. which eventually became Railfast, IFL Railfast, then TNT Railfast. Nevertheless, the ol'e pig yard at the end of Manister Rd, was next to the Jumbo terminal. This was in the early 80's, at that time it was well known to us at IFL that they were in financial trouble.

Speaking of Manster Rd, just off N. Queensway Extention, Chi-Can, Magnum Express, and a couple of others had operations there.

On another note: I am happy to of discovered this forum, great reading.

Welcome aboard........I'm looking forward to your comments. They are storing MT cans at the old IFL lot at the end of Manstor again. That area was going to be a small power plant but that fell through and then industrial condos but THAt looks to have fallen through also.

Zip

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »
Thanx for the welcome Rob, so glad to be here.

Some of the threads on this forum is really a flashback in time... I just keep reading and reading, wow !

Rkotlarek

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
Does anyone have any information as to if Jumbo Motor Express also operated in the continental US? Were they multi-national?

JJG

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »
Rkotlarek: I don't know if they did run USA

Wayne Crane asked me to post these here for them, quite likely taken in Toronto but not sure, a fine 359

same truck

Jim.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »