If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Jumbo Motor Express  (Read 8957 times)

funcruise

Jumbo Motor Express
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
Back in 69&70 I had a Mack leased to Jumbo running from Toronto to the Maratimes. Just wondering what became of them?

Hank's Truck Forum

Jumbo Motor Express
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

michael

• Regular Membership
Re: Jumbo Motor Express
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »
Didn't Jumbo become part of/get acquired by Big Wheels from Kensington PEI and then they went bust? Or, have I creared another falen flags topic with Big Wheels?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »
Big Wheels took over Jumbo's Toronto terminal.
I don't know whether there were any other links.

Funcruise...do you have any pictures of the Mack leased to Jumbo?

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
If I remember Jumbo just went out of buisness in the early nineties. As Michael stated Big Wheels seem to have taken over some of the freight. I don't believe Big Wheels purchased them. At the end Jumbo had purchased a bunch of Mack CH600 daycabs in Toronto and about a year after that they folded. We use to crossdock with Universal UCAN Transport and they seem to be doing the same runs as the old Jumbo and worked out of the old Big Wheels Jumbo terminal. Doug MacKenzie know more about Jumbo, north of Hanover there is a original Jumbo trailer with the elephant on the side sitting in a field.

Funcruise welcome to the forum, What was Jumbo like as a carrier, who did you broker on with after Jumbo, Did you remember a fellow by the name of Jim McCowan that also had a Mack leased to Jumbo in the early seventies.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:35:57 PM »
If I remember Jumbo just went out of buisness in the early nineties. As Michael stated Big Wheels seem to have taken over some of the freight. I don't believe Big Wheels purchased them. At the end Jumbo had purchased a bunch of Mack CH600 daycabs in Toronto and about a year after that they folded. We use to crossdock with Universal UCAN Transport and they seem to be doing the same runs as the old Jumbo and worked out of the old Big Wheels Jumbo terminal. Doug MacKenzie know more about Jumbo, north of Hanover there is a original Jumbo trailer with the elephant on the side sitting in a field.

Funcruise welcome to the forum, What was Jumbo like as a carrier, who did you broker on with after Jumbo, Did you remember a fellow by the name of Jim McCowan that also had a Mack leased to Jumbo in the early seventies.

Throw the blame for inaccuracies on me for this one, Chris?

LOL!

I've heard all kinds of stories about Jumbo.

In the early 70's, one centred around deGroote's Laidlaw buying Jumbo.
In fact around 1972/73 I remember seeing a brand-new Freightliner painted in colours similar to Laidlaw's - but with a red chassis, Laidlaw's blue and a white centre stripe. The name Jumbo was on the door in the same manner as Laidlaw's.
I understand that Laidlaw backed out of, but I'm not aware of any reasons other than perhaps it didn't "fit"?

There's also a story about Jumbo being paired with Trans-Provincial Freight Lines.
There was a management change at Trans-Pro, the company colours were changed to white/orange/black, similar to Jumbo's white/grey scheme.

I also remember a story about Jumbo's owner's son being killed in an automobile accident and from about that time they disappeared from sight.

Universal UCan was run, at one time, by former Jumbo people.
When I worked in the driver service several years back, one of the job applicants cited a work record going back to Jumbo. In researching for the necessary DOT file, I learned about Jumbo people at Universal UCan.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:51:06 PM by doug mckenzie »
Right-wing Old School.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
hope no one minds me postin all these pics but I always like to get a photo with a fallen flag, there is a lot of younger members or out of province or state that may not know what these forgotten companies trucks looked like.
   This sharp Pete 359 shows you the colour and logos Jumbo was using through the mid seventies and  eighties. Jumbo company owned trucks and some brokers were painted all white with an orange horizontal tri-stripe and as Doug mentioned in the seventies a grey frame. Jumbo seem to insist the trucks all comply to paint colour so as time went by as in this Pete many owner operators chose to just repaint the existing paint scheme their truck came with. This shot was taken in the mid eighties at the Old Smokey Truck Show in Cookstown Ontario and after 30 years of attending truck shows I think this is the only Jumbo unit I ever seen at a show in Ontario. Also note another fallen flag is the R.J. Frank company owned Freightliner pulling 1 of the only van trailers Franks owned. R.J. Franks was a flatbed carrier based in Alliston Ontario.

funcruise

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »
Now if I can remember right it was a fellow called John Mathus that was one of the owners of Jumbo Moter Express. I think he also had something to do with Maine Maratime too. Jumbo started out with volume vans hauling full loads out of Syms Brushes from St> John NB. Then they got rights to haul other freight and grew from there. I bought a used F600 model Mack in fredricton NB, It had to be painted company colours before we started. Cant remember  what colour it was called but it was kind of a torquise with a white band around the cab and the frame was omaha orange. Engine was a 673/250 horse and a two stick 15 speed. Heavy load (42k) lbs. and the hills on the old two lane hwys. was just like rowing a boat. The trans Canada wasnt finished then. We were paid the grand sum of 32 cents per mile. Nothing else. Sometimes sat in NB or Nova Scotia for a cuppla days waiting for a load back.Only stuck it out for two years, left the Mack at the dealers in Fredricton, cut the plates off, bumbed a ride back to Ontario and got a job with Hutton Transport close to home.Jumbo had a big turn over of brokers, A bunch of real good guys though. If a fellow stopped at the top of a hill to have a leak, someone coming the other way would stop and holler over to see if you were ok. Do that in Ontario you would darn near get run over....Oh yes I have two pictures of the Mack with the trailer taken by a rock cut on the 401 at Kingston  but they are just a cuppla snapshots......

carl roy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »
The reason Laidlaw didn't get Jumbo was that the Goverment would not let them reason being that would cause problems with the
Maritime based Carriers.
At that time I was a shareholder of Laidlaw and I still think that ruling stunk.
Time has mellowed me a bit when I look at what has passed in the last few years. but it still gets under my skin.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »
A Contrans/Laidlaw finally got their way years later with the purchase of Brookville. I think the maritime market back in the seventies/eighties would be a hard market to expand in since the competition from Irving/Midland and Day and Ross

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:26:50 AM »
The reason Laidlaw didn't get Jumbo was that the Goverment would not let them reason being that would cause problems with the
Maritime based Carriers.
At that time I was a shareholder of Laidlaw and I still think that ruling stunk.
Time has mellowed me a bit when I look at what has passed in the last few years. but it still gets under my skin.

Thanks Carl.

Another story/rumour I once heard about Jumbo was that you couldn't buy a wheelbarrow big enough to carry home your earnings in.

But that was from a former owner-operator and said very sarcastically.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:32:08 AM by doug mckenzie »
Right-wing Old School.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:07 AM »
A Contrans/Laidlaw finally got their way years later with the purchase of Brookville. I think the maritime market back in the seventies/eighties would be a hard market to expand in since the competition from Irving/Midland and Day and Ross

Back in those days Chris, trucking in the Maritimes was subsidised by the government.
You had all kinds of smaller carriers then, just as you have today - the Irving/Midland thing was nowhere near as large as it is today.

Midland only started operating in 1970 - Jumbo had been in operation for some time already and the industrial base behind Midland, meaning the various "in house" opportunities Midland has behind them were not in place.

The Maritimes is hard place to get westbound freight out of.
Right-wing Old School.

freightshaker

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »
That's a great pic of the Pete Chris, trust me,no one mind's your photo's. I believe we all wished you'd post more.

funcruise

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 04:35:48 AM »

Oh by the way yes I remember Jim McCowan. Him and I ran together an odd trip or two. He bought that Mack from the company. It had a big old v8 Mack engine in it. Last I heard of Jim he was building a new house in Fergus. Sure didnt make the money running for Jumbo to pay for it....

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
FunCruise thats great you new Jim, he was a family friend of ours and he lived just outside of Fergus, after Jumbo he bought a couple of farms and then bought some dump trucks, after that he worked at Townsend Transport, then with Thistletown, when he was 58 he decided to buy a Kenworth and become a broker again. He tried to find the picture of the Jumbo Mack but never did but told many stories of his days with Jumbo.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Fun cruise, just a correction on Jim, after he quit Jumbo he brought the truck up to Fergus and was going to lease on to Townsend Transport and haul out of Canada Wire but Townsend thought Jim may get the contract so Townsend ended up buying the Mack and repainting it Townsend green, the old V8 Mack blew up a couple of years later and they repowered it with a new 318 Detroit, the cab started rotting and they glidered the 318 engine  into a new Western Star. Jim stayed with Townsend right till the end.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs