If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: C a b o v e r s... Because We Love Them!  (Read 238718 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Re: C a b o v e r s... Because We Love Them!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
If any of you guys could raise these drivers on the radio, I'd be interested in knowing how many of these COE's have been resurrected, or have they been on the road their whole life.  Some have been obviously updated, but there seems to be so many caught recently (where's Fishhook?) that I'm wondering how many have been brought back from the boneyard.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
This rig seems to have a Foden grille (DAF CF cab was used by Foden at the time) - where did you catch this one? Not very many Fodens over here in the US, I would think?  :-o

[/center]

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Art387

• Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna ! God, Honor, Fatherland !!!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »

This rig seems to have a Foden grille (DAF CF cab was used by Foden at the time) - where did you catch this one? Not very many Fodens over here in the US, I would think?  :-o

Wyoming, of course. I was wondering about the grille - looks like the weirdest KW ever.
Yes, it has KENWORTH badges - on the doors at least. I wouldn't think its a Foden ! (never seen any he he)

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
Wyoming, huh? Makes sense, I guess.  :wink: And compare the grille on the "Kenworth" you caught with this Foden grille - it has the same triangular deal in the center there.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/f/f3/20070724140531!Foden_Alpha_3000_2004.jpg

Pretty cool that they at least didn't just go for the stock DAF grille on that "Kenworth DAF", but instead used the grille of a fallen nameplate.  8-)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

wbache

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »

We always have a good selection running in the LA Basin--a lot of them hauling cans--you can tell by the colors where they had their previous incarnation. Most are IH or FL with a few Petes out there.  K100's are a rare breed anymore.
the top 3 are southbound on the 605 9-04-08  - - the bottom two are crossing the South St bridge eatbound and the bottom one is turning onto the northbound 605 on ramp.

I thought I posted these last nite but I guess they got lost in cyber space
Some interesting pics- - I recently bought some Schlumberger stock -- good company bad timing.

Art387

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »

Most are IH or FL with a few Petes out there.  K100's are a rare breed anymore.

I agree, K100 are rare breed in CA, wonder why FL and IH are dominating... Interesting.

Some interesting pics- - I recently bought some Schlumberger stock -- good company bad timing.

Walt, Schlumberger is going to be all right no matter what - they seem to be sick-rich :-D
But hey, there is way better company which is into Smart ID - apparently very hot product these days,
as this very interesting Euro-Combo spotted lately in SD by Got It Done still working hard on our highways,
despite the lack of any US credentials :-D

(Im having problems with Photobucket...)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:08:58 PM by Art387 »

countryhauler

• Loud pipes save lives!
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »
That's a beautiful Kenworth K100 black areodyne, love the train horns :-D

peterGB

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
Love those k100s, Art where did you catch that Landstar truck? I saw one that looked very similer on 85 north of Atlanta a couple times, maybe its the same one. Here in Hawaii there still quite alot of cabovers running.

Art387

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
That's a beautiful Kenworth K100 black areodyne, love the train horns :-D
These black ones are two different units - which took me a while to figure it out. Got some more pics, post them soon - really impressive units these are...

Love those k100s, Art where did you catch that Landstar truck? I saw one that looked very similer on 85 north of Atlanta a couple times, maybe its the same one. Here in Hawaii there still quite alot of cabovers running.
The Landstar truck I've snapped on I-80 in Nebraska. Later on I've spotted similar K100 in Toole, UT. Basicly, all my pictures comes from I-80 between Chicago and Bay Area. And vacations in Hawaii - here are three coe's from Big Island this year:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:51:24 PM by Art387 »

peterGB

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
I guess theres probably more than 1 K100 hauling for Landstar. :-D I've not gotten down to the big Island yet, I need to get there sometime. Have you taken more that one vacation in Hawaii? The FL looks real clean, I've hardly seen any pics of trucks in HI on the internet. I guess I need to start taking more pictures here.

Art387

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »
I guess theres probably more than 1 K100 hauling for Landstar. :-D I've not gotten down to the big Island yet, I need to get there sometime. Have you taken more that one vacation in Hawaii? The FL looks real clean, I've hardly seen any pics of trucks in HI on the internet. I guess I need to start taking more pictures here.
There is something about Landstar which make it attractive for some old-schoolers, now I can think of another seriously stretched K100... just need to find it.
Hawaii is our standard vacation destination, we were thrilled to see all the 4 islands already. Also, everytime we go, at some point I'd pickup that newspaper, look for job classifieds and starting convincing my wife that we should stay here for good  :-D Interestingly, she already went from :roll: to  :| -  Well, I know what I'm doing  8-). As for pictures... well, your paradise-state consist about 100% incredible coastline... photo opportunities are plenty, old trucks too - I believe these are on all-time vacation too, living long, beautiful life  :-D

peterGB

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
Well if you get to Oahu sometime soon drop me an email and we could meet somewhere. :-D Sadly I've not made it to any other islands yet. :-( Here its a bit crowded and a bit of a small piece of land but the temps are real nice. Driving jobs might be somwhat hard to come by here and on Oahu you'd basically be a city driver but we do have plenty of nice looking trucks around especially the ones pulling dumps.

bub72ck

• Boy we're famous now!!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 05:12:39 AM »
Well if you get to Oahu sometime soon drop me an email and we could meet somewhere. :-D Sadly I've not made it to any other islands yet. :-( Here its a bit crowded and a bit of a small piece of land but the temps are real nice. Driving jobs might be somwhat hard to come by here and on Oahu you'd basically be a city driver but we do have plenty of nice looking trucks around especially the ones pulling dumps.

I visited Maui a couple years ago and there were a lot of nice trucks on the island.  Most of the dumps had two axle pups in tow and every one was clean and sporting lots of chrome.
All the trucks were daycabs though...  :wink:  Who knew?

wbache

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
I never owned one but in the late 60's I made a number of trips with owner operators at Dealers Transit when there was a hot load to move and the shipper requested (and paid for a second driver). At the time my 63 Mack was paid for so I would park it and go for a change of scenery. My own impression of the K100 regardless of the power train was that the cab was super tight for that time in history and with the windows rolled up you really had to take a firm hand to the door handles to close them . I drove early 70's Petes for a year and didn't think they were as well put together and as quiet as the KW and if you have ever seen a FL COE in a bad wreck the cabs would come apart like a peanut shell.

Art387

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »
We sure will met :-) As to work... well I'm not sure I could handle city job... no cozy sleeper... no hard pulling an no money.
Still, this dream of mine is going on...
Here, I found that "long" Landstar: Northern Lights, Class of 88. Truly amazing rig, me thinks

Walt, I'm not sure yet (really need to see all picture from this year again) but seems to me, K100 is the most common COE on I-80
If so, we might have a connection here... Beside being somehow better built - K100 seems also very OTR-ish with this tall sleeper

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs