Author Topic: Allis-Chalmers truck engines  (Read 1945 times)

Reliable Randy

Allis-Chalmers truck engines
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »
I would be interested in any info you have on Allis-Chalmers truck engines. I went to a show recently and someone had brought a flatbed loaded with restored diesel engines one of which was an Allis-Chalmers.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Re: Allis-Chalmers truck engines
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »

Big Al  was from the early 70's, reputedly put out 450 horsepower and had it's roots in Buda engines, so I'm told.
Right-wing Old School.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:45:32 AM »
I saw one in a Freightliner once, late 70's or early 80's, at the Allis Chalmers warehouse in Winnipeg.

The engine was purple, and rated at 365 or 375 HP.

That's all I know.
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Jason M.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:48:02 AM »
Inland Express had a big Autocar in the sixties with an Allis Chalmers engine in it.  I believe Inland was from Syracuse, NY and had a terminal in Gray, ME.  If anyone has Mike Trebecki's books, the one with the Inland story has a picture of the very A-car in question.  I think it was built to haul pikers across the thruway at a high rate of fuel consumption.   

wbache

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
Springer Corp in Albuquerque who owned the American Oil truck stop for a while in the 60's and 70's (a 76 was built next to it later) had a number of businesses including a Mack dealership across the street --a ready mix concrete plant and was also the Allied Van Lines agent in Albuquerque. As a hauling agent they had a K100 KW with the Allis Chalmers engine in it. Most of the comments in the post cover the subject pretty well as to the HP and the purple color and the "big Al" nick name. I heard that the project was abandoned because of problems with the crankshafts and connecting rods breaking thru the block but I have no evidence that this was true however "big Al" never penetrated the truck engine market as did CAT who came on the scene in  the early 60's with the 1673 which was a much smaller engine. 

Reliable Randy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
Thanks guys.

OL'TC

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:05:12 AM »
Hi Randy,

Back in the early 70's they had a Truck Show in Thunder Bay Ont. Can. They had maybe a 1/2 doz. of Whites with the Purple Allis Chalmers . They were for hauliing logs and I talked to one driver that really liked the power and easy winter starting. Not sure how they lasted but think they might have been ordered by the logging company.Believe they were rated at 375HP.

OL'TC         

Reliable Randy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
Thanks.

Dave7060

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »
Farmings the life for me, but I still love them trucks
www.trukz.com A trucking simulation game

Reliable Randy

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
Thanks a lot for that link, It was nice to be able to read one of their ads.

Dave7060

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
That was no problem, in the one add it mentions the 426, we have one in a combine and two in tractors and you'd never get them to pass an e-test the way they smoke.
Farmings the life for me, but I still love them trucks
www.trukz.com A trucking simulation game

Reliable Randy

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
That's kind of ironic considering the ad said they produce "smokeless power" or something along those lines.