If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Pima Air & Space Museum  (Read 7713 times)

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
Pima Air & Space Museum
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
During time I spend in Arizona in the winter my activities include being a volunteer at PASM.
 I have quite a few pictures I've taken there I'm delighted to be able to share.
 Some will be of aircraft, and vehicles on display, and some will be of projects in the restoration hanger, as that is where I spend most of my time, and try to get pictures of what ever is in there.
 I'll start with what I presently have in my Photobucket account, and try to add to it in a timely fashion, so please check back from time to time.

I'll start with B52s because I was engine mechanic in USAF, that was my bird most of the time I was in SAC

The first two are B52D This had the big belly modification to carry a larger bomb load, and was the work horse in Viet Nam

B52A This was the platform used to launch the X-15.
B52D

B52H

Coleman Tug

B36  This is in the restoration area, and is too big to get in the hanger. It came from another museum, and it's been a couple years getting put back together

I think this trailer has a flight simulater inside, or was used to carry one?

This is a cockpit for a Blenheim bomber that we were working on. it was a British aircraft, but actually this one came out of RCAF.

This is a mobile missle launcher, and command post I'll try to get a better discription

Some fire equipment came out of Tucson Airport, and is now on display. I got this picture one of the first days they arrived.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:38:07 PM by Ex Road Pounder »

Hank's Truck Forum

Pima Air & Space Museum
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »

The Joe

• Regular Membership
  • Global non-Moderator
Re: Pima Air & Space Museum
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »
Thanks for the post... I've often wanted to stop in at that museum... The "Missle Launcher" and "Command Post" are built on the MAN chassis. These trucks are what we developed the HEMTT from... European countries still use these MAN's in there militaries. Interesting to have a couple here in the states...

Ex Road Pounder

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:04:27 AM »
Thanks Joe
 There also is another part of the PASM at Green Valley about 20 miles away that was an actual Titan missile silo.
 There is a tour that takes you down into the control room, and although it is disarmed there is still a missile that has been cut away, so you can see what everything looks like inside it.
           Steve

Ex Road Pounder

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
Here are a few support vehicles

Forklift

Tug. Until we got some golf carts this was the transportation method around the museum. These were more fun, but not as efficient.

Tug being readied for a paint job. I was told zebra stripes were going on it?

This Brockway was a airport fueler at Tucson International, but was painted USAF blue, and will be part of a display at Titan missile museum in Green Valley

There are at least 250-275 aircraft on display at PASM maybe more. I don't have pictures of all of them, but quite a few. Same with knowledge. I am not an expert, and have forgotten most of what I knew, but I like to go out to PASM, and some memories come back.
 There are several hangers with inside exhibits, as well as out side. I usually am able to get a good full shot of outside ones. The ones inside are not as easy, but they are positioned well in my opinion.

This is a P 51 Mustang being built in hanger 5.
 World War 2 aircraft are getting hard to find, but the museum had the blueprints for a P 51, and somehow got the jig that was used at the factory. Somebody got the idea " hey let's build one from scratch" Well here it is as of last April.

This engine is a J 47 jet engine manufactured by General Electric. It was used to power B 47 Bombers among other aircraft. I was trained on this engine, but never worked on one. I worked mostly on  the larger J 57 that was used on B 52, and KC 135

This is a British plane called a Shackelton

This is a Curtis OWL observation plane that was in the restoration shop quite a while, but they did a nice job on it.

I showed a cockpit for a Blenheim in a previous picture. This is the plane it fits on. I helped do some sheet metal work on it. Had some wood airframe.

HUM 1  Built by McCullough Yes the chainsaw people. The last guy to pump up that tire is the same one took the picture. Guess I need to go back & do it over.

I'll edit  a few more to this post as long as nobody had added any remarks to it.

There are infact several vehicles on display at PASM, and there is a fleet of excursion type vehicless that are used for the various tours.
This IH bus is used for some tours, but most times I've seen it used was on rainy days to replace the tram which is an open style vehicle.

Search light

6x6

A couple airport crach vehicles

Military crash vehicle

I don't know the designation of the helicopter, but notice the windows. They are protected with a special material. "Can't remember right now what it's called" You will see it on all the aircraft on outside display.
 What it does is keep the inside temperatures down by about 20 degrees. This helps preserve the aircraft, as it gets quite hot on the Sonora Desert at times.

Military ambulance

6x6

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:45:08 AM by Ex Road Pounder »

Ex Road Pounder

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:25:31 AM »
Here are a few more outside exhibits.

KC 97 Refueling Tanker

C 124 Globemaster.  "Old shaky"

KB 50   These were updated B 29 converted to refueling  tankers.

Another C 97 this one a hospital ship

EC 135 This was one of the flying command posts.

B 47 Bomber

This is a wing pod of the B 52 where the X 15 was attached. Notice the markings on the fuselage. A level mark would signify a high speed record test. A raised marking would be for an altitude record test.

Watch your step. Don't trip on this 750 pounder. These were often the bomb load on the B52 sorties to Viet Nam.

B 57 Camberra Reconnaissance bomber

B 58 Hustler

B 66 another reconnaissances bomber

Russian MIG being moved

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:41:39 AM »
The "Missle Launcher" and "Command Post" are built on the MAN chassis. These trucks are what we developed the HEMTT from... European countries still use these MAN's in there militaries. Interesting to have a couple here in the states...

A local guy, Torstein Sele of Sele Gjødseltransport (I drove an Actros rolloff for him for a short while), bought one of those ex-military 8x8 MAN chassises and put a big manure tank on it, with an extremely powerful "cannon" on it, and voila - the most powerful, and coolest, offroad manure spreader in the country.  :roll: :-D Don't have any pics of it, though.  :|

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »
Some great stuff at the Pima Museum Steve.  8-)  If i ever get out that way it's on my list of things to do. :-)

Ex Road Pounder

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 07:19:35 AM »
Thanks Charlie.
 Reason I like it is a lot of things there I can relate to from my time in the service, but there are lots of civilian aircraft there, and also a space exhibit. They cover just about everything from a mock up of the Wright Brothers first flight to modern times. I always tell people there is a little something for everybody there.

Long as I'm here.
T 39 Saberliner

C 119 Flying Boxcar

Navy F 4

F 15 Eagle

Northwest Airlines Beach fresh paint, and decals

A 10 Thunderbolt

SR 71 Blackbird
This is one of the jewels of the collection.
 First picture is a J79 engine
 second picture is the SR 71

I notice we are getting quite a few hits, but are still on the top, so I'll amend this post with a few more.
7-27-08

B 25  Mitchel

TWA Tug. There are several baggage wagons  too, but I don't recall getting a picture of them.

F 100 Super Sabre.

B 24 Liberator.
 This plane was flown in from India several years ago. It has been set up just like it was on a WW2 bombing mission, and you can see into almost every part of it.

B 29
 This was one of the last B 29s built, and never saw combat. Mostly it was used to drop water on forest fires before it came to the museum.

WW2 Bomb This was a German guided bomb that was dropped from aircraft. It belongs to the Smithsonian, but will be on display at PASM.
 We had to hand sand it down, and document any color change, marking, lettering, stamping etc. so it can be put exactly back to the way it looked when it was put into service in WW2

C 121 This aircraft will be leaving Tucson, and going to a flying museum in Australia.
 Volunteers from that museum take turns coming to Tucson for a couple weeks at a time to get it ready for the trip.
 When I was there last they had the engines turning, and all the hydrolics operating correctly, but it still has to be completely gone over by professionals before it will be allowed to fly.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:26:03 AM by Ex Road Pounder »

Bill McCullough

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »
Thanks for posting these Steve. Really like the military machines. Don't want to seem rude but that first tug is actually a Federal. The Colemans used propietary axles with the big moon hubcap, like the smaller one pulling the MIG, which is a Coleman G40. The military version was MB4. There are 8 (that I know of) of those big tugs still in northern Colorado of both makes.

Ex Road Pounder

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
Thanks Bill
 I stand corrected. They are very similar.
 This one shows the difference, and another I had in my file thought you might enjoy.

Bill McCullough

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
Sweet, thank you.

Leonard

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »
i was there a few years ago. i had a blast! i couldnt remember that name so i looked it up and asked my grandma if i was there... turns out i was.. right around christmas time 2003....
id go back and see it again in a heart beat :-)
its a binder thing you just wouldnt get it...

Rich Reinhart

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »
Thanks for the post... I've often wanted to stop in at that museum... The "Missle Launcher" and "Command Post" are built on the MAN chassis. These trucks are what we developed the HEMTT from... European countries still use these MAN's in there militaries. Interesting to have a couple here in the states...

I think that was a GLCM, Ground Launched Cruise Missile launching set.
Hell yeah son, I`ve driven a Superliner .....

Member ATCA and ATHS

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs