If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Confrontations  (Read 55621 times)

DD

• Regular Membership
Re: Confrontations
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
Now This is why i am going to start carrying a So Called Truck Photography Kit with me at all times,  :-D :-D IT Contains the Following:

1. 2 cameras My Sony cybershot DSC-S650 Point and Shoot Camera, And the Olympus SP-560UZ Digital Camera
2. extra memory cards and batteries etc.
3. My Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) which i use it as a Photo Album of all my pics
4. a Couple Copies of the Photographers Rights
5. a Few Business Cards For Hanks Truck Pics Website & Forum

Any other suggestions for what i should Carry  :? :? :-D

Sounds like a lot of valuable electronics to be carrying around Ray. You should be careful that you don't get mugged.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

kenworth man

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
and a .45..........9mm........12 gauge....... :lol: :-P :-D

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
Ok guys, I think were going a bit far, and a bit off topic.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 03:59:17 AM »
I'll bring it back on topic here....

The "heaviest" confrontation of my "carreer" happened at the Iowa 80 truck stop on my trip last fall. I had been walking around the truck stop for a while taking pics, and had gotten back in the Cadillac to drive across the lot to get out (I had parked it way in the back), and of course I came across a few rigs I hadn't gotten pics of as we drove past, so I made a couple stops and took some pics, and as I walked up to a very nice Sharp KW out of Utah to get some pics, two guys came running up from the back, shouting at me and demanding to know what I was doing. I kept calm and just explained to them I was a truck nut from Norway, wanting to take home some souvenirs in the form of some truck pics, and they cooled down little by little.

The one guy who did the talking (who, seriously, seemed to have an IQ lower than his shoe size, but that's beside the point) said something about him figuring I was taking pictures to try and track down the trucks and give them trouble, he was saying something about Californians and what not, but I didn't really catch what he was saying. I guess he figured I was up to no good, at least. Then, as I had gotten it into his head that I was a truck fan and only wanted pics of the trucks for my collection, and he had actually decided I was a good guy, a Freightliner Classic XL pulled up next to the Sharp rig, and the driver got out. The guy then shouted to the driver, "Hey, mind if this guy takes pictures of your truck?!", and the driver replied, "No, man, he can do whatever he wants". That was the end of that. They got back to their trucks, actually wishing me a good trip and letting me know a couple of good truck stops to get pics at, and we got on our way. Still, it kind of shook me up a bit.

Apart from that, I had a couple of guys walking to their parked trucks in one of the parking lots at MATS last year ask me and a guy I was walking around a bit with, what the heck we were doing. He explained to them that we took pictures of trucks, and the driver replied "what the h*ll for? Crazy..."  :roll:

Can't really remember any other incidents...

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

ParkinLot

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
I know that this is an oldie, but it's also a goodie.  :-D I've never had any sort of issue taking pix anywhere. If there are owners/drivers around I always ask permission an usually compliment their gear/facility as well. The compliments are genuine too 'cause if I'm not impressed I'm not takin' pix. I've also been the driver/owner who has had folks takin' the pix, both with permission and without. I never refuse, I may whine that the truck is dirty (if it is) and I've even moved it so they could get better shots. Most drivers are flattered and do not mind.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »
Not really a confrontation just a story with a moral - i guess. Shiny trucks = nicer drivers.  :-D

I took a photo of a ratty old Scania today - driver stopped & asked if i was taking a picture of him. I said no - i'm taking a picture of your truck. He got kinda antsy & asked why - i said it's unique & rare and all the kind words. He shook his head & drove on.

Within a 1/2 hour i took photos of a 1980 KW, a sharp Pete & a flat top Volvo. All shiny good lookin' trucks who's drivers were very friendly & couldn't do enough to make my request for a photo easier.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 04:11:23 AM »
I usually ask before taking a picture, but if the truck is moving and the driver makes a rude gesture or flips me the bird, I take that as they don't want their picture taken and I respect that by deleting the photo.
(then I flip them right back) :evil:

As far as photo confrontations go I've had a few potential ones,  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, but overall about 90% of the people who have ever come toward me with a purpose in their step, and a disgruntled or threatening look on their face, usually slows down their pace a bit as they get closer to me, and the look on their face changes to one much less threatening and more of caution, when they realize I am 6'9" and weigh 290 lbs! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(except kids and animals, they have me figured out)

On another note:
There's a lot of paranoid people out there with something to hide.
Maybe the Ex's lawyer hired an investigator to take pictures, an insurance company is after them, wanted by the law, camera shy, incognito cargos as Hank mentioned, driver recognized being in wrong location to visit a girlfriend when he should be 100 miles away, etc....... etc.

Just be polite,  respectful, and cautious.
If some firecracker gets his panties bunched up over having his picture took, just walk away and forget about it.
If they get aggressive, send em to Nate! :-D

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

WesV

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
I guess I am not a very threating photographer because I do it 90% of the time from the seat of my truck (both in the truckstop and on the road).  I RARELY ever take shots of plain jane company trucks, almost every truck I get has something unique about it so most of those drivers are pretty proud someone is taking notice of their style and work, I know I am when someone compliments my truck.  If I see them in the cab I will hollar at them on the CB and mention my intentions, but if they don't respond I get the pic and move on.  So far no one has objected aside from the standard "my truck is dirty" and I hope to keep it that way.

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

Hey, What truck are you in driver!? :evil:  :wink:
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

The DAFman

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »
Hello guys,

I am following this thread for a while and it did make me smile a little bit!!!!!
Here in Europe, I did never had any troubles by making pictures!!!!! Maybe we Europeans are "less" paranoid!!!!!
The most pictures I take on our truckstops and restaerea's I make out of my truck, or walking around, having my own "resting-time"!!!!!
The only comments I got are, "you are crazy, making truckpictures for fun and even driving one!!!" For many truckdrivers in Europe it is just a job and they don't give a F.....g Damn about the rest!!!
Making truckpictures in my freetime, I always were a company jacket, pullover or shirt and always cary some pictures of my own rig!!!!!
Wearing that cloths even opened many "closed" doors, gates or get permission from security people!!!
I have visit the USA and Canada several times (Washington state, Oregon, Northern parts of California, Montana and Wyoming, British Columbia and Manitoba) and didn't have any problems at all!!! I wear also some "company" clothes and that opens also "doors"!!!!! I found out that many US/Canadian truckers do have the same interrest in European trucks and trucking as we have for US/Canada!!!!! Were even invited to see everything they could show me!!!!! Also by some company's I wishes to go on their Yards!!!!! The best thanks are still going to May-Trucking!!! They even "send" my to their Seattle yard and I was there a real "guest"!!! (with coffee, lunch, drinks and prospects, pictures and so on!!!).
Honostly, that was before 9-11!!!!! I am not so sure anymore it will function nowadays!!!
The best wishes and greetings from Germany,

Leo
Deceased.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »

Thought i had one for Nate today but it turned out to be a false alarm.  :-D I was at my usual spot at Bordentown and a driver pulled over into the median and shouted out "Why are you taking pictures of trucks"?  :? Told him it was a hobby. Response was "It's not a good idea - with all the terrorism the cops will be all over me taking pictures". Told him i've met 1/2 the force & they don't have any issues with it. Response was "well i don't appreciate having my picture taken".

On the one hand since 9-11 people scream about losing rights and individual freedom - on the other hand many of the same folks would deny others the same rights they scream about losing. Make up your mind people.  :roll:

Philatruck

• Watch For Trucks!
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »
when I take pictures of trucks and equipment, it mostly on the weekends so their is no one around to question me, the ones that I do one week days there is not a person walking around.

Also if you are talking pictures of a nice custom truck, I think the truckers expect it some times, because it is a head turner and anybody walking around with a camera will see it.

One Little confrontation.
I did take a picture of a pete 357, wich was parked behind 2 jersey barriers in front of a trailer yard, I told the quard I like taking pictures of trucks and crap, and I striked  up a conversation about companies, but their was nothing he could do, I was not trespassing, and the Pete was not owned by his company.
- Philatruck. Greetings From the Keystone State !

Sean

• Future trucker in America
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »
Well......when I was in Jefforsonville at the mall, I was taking pictures, standing beside a tree in the grass by the interstate............nice breeze, shade......I was happy, till the security guard came over and told me I couldnt be taking pictures there  :x I just walked away.........  :roll: Have a feeling he had nothing better to do......why couldnt he had been racing around on his little golf cart (well, he already was)  :roll:

Sean

-My baby, 1997 F250HD XLT, RCLB, 4x4, 7.3L Powerstroke.

Ray F

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »
Hey Guys I Usually Take My Pics Over at the Local Public Library, Which is also right In front of a Fire Station as well  :-D :-D I Have only Had one Confrontation There, and that was By one of the Maryland State Highway Administration Workers, I Was taking Pics of the Trucks Rolling By, and at The Time The MSHA was Trying to Build a Brick No Stopping Path in The Road for The Emergency Vehicles that are coming from That Station, One of the Workers an Older Gentleman, came up To Me and asked what I was Doing With The Camera In My Hand, I Told Him, That I take Pictures of Trucks as a Hobby and also as a Stress Reliever  :-) Then He said Thats Pretty Cool, And we Talked trucks for about at least 5 or 10 Minutes or so  :-D Pretty Cool Guy IMO  :-D I was wanting To Ask Him if Their Garage still Had the IH S2200 Tandem Axle Daycab Tractor that I used to see hooked up to a Lowboy, That Truck was one SWEET Sounding truck  :-D :-D But I Guess that would have been a Little NOSY, I Guess  :|

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
I don't get much of a problem when I'm taking photos in passing. Of course, 90% of the time they're ecstatic when I tell them we'd like to do an article on it. One of my favorite parts are the reactions most people have when you tell them they're truck's going into a magazine.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs