If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Confrontations  (Read 56690 times)

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
Re: Confrontations
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
Only place Ive ever been told not to return was the Indiana Toll Road, and that was because a trooper told us it was private property. However another just told us not to get as close to the highway. I figure a lot of law enforcement officers just dont want to deal with this since its so rare.

Every other place Ive met someone at, and there are quite a few, Ive still gone back to take pictures. When I actually have time anymore, that is!

Updated 8/10/2018

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Mister TyZo

« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
 ;) It's Unfortunate circumstances have led to People getting out of sorts over it..  Just taking the feeling of "Invading Someone's Privacy" to a whole new level.. Some Trucking Companies now have onboard camera's that are focused on the Driver , which are set to only turn on when Brakes are Applied somewhat out of the ordinary, if you will.. In my Past Life the subject of Camera's Recording activity on the Busses was always a touchy issue.. That today is being addressed and yes it does have it's good & bad.. Just Saying.  8)
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »
That's really too bad when that happens. One day I was out at the overpass, where is use to shoot during my lunch hour. A guy comes up on a pickup and walks over to me and asked what I'm doing. I told him that I'm taking pictures of trucks passing by. He told me he didn't like me out there because his house was across the freeway from where I was shooting pictures. He has some university girls boarding at his house and they were worried that I was spying on them. The lens I was using was short and even my strongest lens could reach anything at his house, which was almost 3/4 of a mile away. I told him he had nothing to worry about and he left. But from that day on, I was almost expecting a visit from the police to chase me away. But it never happened.

These days it just seems that anyone along the side of the road with a camera is considered a terrorist. If people only realized that is so far from the truth.

Yep. It's a damn shame. I really want to continue doing this because I felt like I was just starting to get the hang of it but I don't have any options. I can't do it from overpasses because they are all fenced in and covered in trees/shrubs on the sides, and I really don't want to stray too far from my work-home route.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
That sucks, reeks and blows.  >:( :'(

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »

Jan.
X2.......big time!!! :( >:( Seems the train, plane & ship guys can get away with enjoying their hobby with impunity while we truck fans are mistaken for "terrorists" at worst and wierdos at best. Something's gotta change here so we get the same respect and are free to enjoy what we like to do.

The Fugitive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
Hear Hear Charlie.       Bob.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »

Jan.
X2.......big time!!! :( >:( Seems the train, plane & ship guys can get away with enjoying their hobby with impunity while we truck fans are mistaken for "terrorists" at worst and wierdos at best. Something's gotta change here so we get the same respect and are free to enjoy what we like to do.

Yup! The other weekend I was at a park across from Reagan Nat'l Airport planespotting with a friend. It's insane that we were basically doing the same thing there that I do with trucks and yet nobody gets weird about you taking pictures of planes coming and going. I've also gone train spotting as well and even though it's not as popular as plane spotting people still are generally ok about it. I just wish there was a spot I could sit at, out in the open, with no pretenses as to what I was doing, that I could get good shots and not have to worry about having the cops show up.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
If you have a favorite spot or two consider checking in with the local Police Department that covers that area beforehand..........let them know what you'll be doing & tell them it's a hobby that you enjoy and just want to let them know before they receive a call from a "concerned" citizen. I've done this in the past.............doesn't hurt.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
I'm really, really sorry to hear about your situation, mooby346. :(  Personally I've experienced a couple times when a civilian, usually one who lives close to where I was taking pictures that day, would come up to me and politely ask me what I was doing.  I can understand this as someone standing by the highway taking pictures isn't something you see everyday.  Usually after giving them the spiel about it being a hobby and whatnot, they were fine with me being there although once I was asked to move across the street.  I only had a cop show up once, because apparently they had gotten some reports of my presence.  In addition to obviously asking what I was doing, they asked other questions such as how long to I plan to stay, my address, and also took my name and ID to run it through the computer in their car.  However, when it was all said and done they let me stay there and take pictures.

I don't understand how you could reasonably be considered a terrorist by standing next to the highway taking pictures - even if it does look a bit odd, what harm could you do with just your camera?  At worst people would think you're spying on nearby buildings like Hank said.  However, Charlie and Mooby do have a point that you can get away with taking pictures of other types of vehicles but not trucks, but I can't think of why this is.

Let me just say I agree with you guys 110% on what you've said here, and Jan said it well, that this sucks, reeks, and blows. >:(

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Funny thing, back at the end of July, I spent a good three hours right along side of no less than four state troopers conducting oversize load vehicle inspections at the PA welcome center on 80, often within "spittin distance."  They were already there when I arrived, but there was no way in h*ll after driving all that way I wasn't going to shoot, so I just got the camera out and did my thing.  At one point, after I had been there for a while, one of the officers came over and very friendly like asked me if I was taking pictures for advertising, and I said no and gave him the hobby spiel and explained I've been coming to this spot for years, he was cool with it, and that was that.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
If you have a favorite spot or two consider checking in with the local Police Department that covers that area beforehand..........let them know what you'll be doing & tell them it's a hobby that you enjoy and just want to let them know before they receive a call from a "concerned" citizen. I've done this in the past.............doesn't hurt.

This is some solid advice, even though I'm going to give it some time I don't want to give up this hobby because people are paranoid. I was very overwhelmed by the police presence today, originally I thought one cop had pulled up because he immediately hit the lights and pulled over as soon as he saw me. Then he approached me (I was already putting my camera away by then because I knew what he was there for) and after he started talking to me I saw a shadow and glanced over my shoulder to see another cop dressed in full tactical gear standing behind me. The cop behind me had actually pulled over further up the highway and then stood there silently the whole time, like he was expecting me to run or fight or something. It scared the shit out of me. Then 3 more cruisers pulled up, one behind the other, until it felt like half the VSP was parked on the side of the highway. The cop I dealt with was cool about it, I told him it was a hobby, mentioned I was going to put them online, he asked where (I feel it was out of curiosity, and not out of "maybe we should investigate this site") and I mentioned the site. I asked him if I could grab a shot of all the cruisers and he said no, so I left. He did not say there was any legal issue with what I was doing, just that it looked bad because I was sitting in a patch of grass that was over a foot tall, almost like I was trying to be inconspicuous. Quick question though, when you guys go do you wear bright colors so that people won't be too paranoid or do you just try to blend in? I feel like wearing colors that stand out might help my case.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
This sounds odd to me, were you literally "sitting" in that tall grass, and was it out of the way of where someone might walk (like with their dog, or to stretch?).  I could see where that might look suspicious.

I've spent well over thirty years shooting roadside, mostly rest areas and service plazas, or some other public space (I'm hesitant to do overpasses).  I've never had any confrontations, and, since most spots I'm pacing along the front of the truck parking, am amazed at how many drivers give me a friendly wave as they pull out.

I have had two "encounters" in recent years, one where a PA state cop came by based on someone's report (he was kind of annoyed with that after finding out what I was doing), and another where homeland security was called, but earlier we had shot a truck hauling military equipment, and also a TSMT explosives hauler, so I suspect it was the latter.  The state cop that handled that one also had no issue with us.

Numerous times someone has walked over just to ask a friendly question as to what I was taking pictures of.  That's usually cool, one was a Kinard driver and we got to talking about his company and their Superliner they had a the time.

I don't know if this makes sense, but in general you want to be "conspicuously inconspicuous," in other words, don't go out of your way to draw attention to yourself, but remain open about what you're doing, stay out front and center, and don't don't try and be sneaky with the camera.  If anyone has a problem, eff'em, because you have the right to shoot from public property.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2015, 08:03:45 AM »
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.6190067,-77.2968835/Interstate+95,+Woodbridge,+VA+22191/@38.6197868,-77.3029551,2722m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b6f8af6c02b641:0x57ba4ccc75cd4c18!2m2!1d-77.2968237!2d38.6196721

If you look at the street view of 95, I was sitting on the top of the small hill separating the rest area from the shoulder, right at the very beginning where the tree line ends. The grass is pretty tall because they don't mow the area I sat in, but I'm also a pretty big guy so I feel if people were looking it shouldn't be hard to notice me. I don't set up a lawn chair or anything, I usually just sit on the grass. I can understand if people think it is suspicious, but I always bring a hat with me (in yesterday's case it was a red and gray hat) so I'm not blending in.

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Been in the age of terminal over-reaction ever since the late 80's. From my observations, with wonderful rare exceptions, development toward full adulthood has stopped at the 5th grade level for some time now.

Don't even hafta have a camera. Just be someplace where nobody's seen you before, doesn't have a brain big enough to realize (or care) that you have a very legitimate reason to be there, so it's immediately 911-time.

Case in point-    First drop ever, about 5 or 6 pallets of frozen Okra for early AM delivery on the college-campus, Norman Oklahoma, about 8PM dark winter evening. Find the campus easy enough, but the warehouse for the food-service has an address that disappears, everytime I idle over to the location where logic demanded that it should be. Spend a lifetime looking for addresses, usually in the dark, & this ain't working here.

Finally give up, did find a decent place to park, 4-ways on, dismount, lock the cab, & begin recon on foot, BUT carrying my BOL's, which is like having a passport for these over-reaction conditions.

Sure enough, about 10 minutes in my foot patrol adventure, here comes law enforcement, & we were both very glad to meet each other. Yes, he got the "I'm scared! A prowler is walking around my building!" call. Lucky for me, he's a very nice intelligent officer. I display my BOL's, point to my truck with the flashing 4-ways, & the BS-address on those BOL's. He answers as he nods, "Only in Norman!"

Yeah, Norman campus has a slight problem with logic as regards consecutive numbers for houses, buildings, which this officer was up to speed on, & I was soon to be also.

In this day & age of boggy-man extreme, expect the worst, hope for the best, & stay out in plain sight (so nobody can say you're sneaking around, although once embarrassed, they'll justify their stupidity by saying that). And, if you look more like Ron Pearlman than Rick Moranis, you'll have more problems. Get used to it.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »
NHRS - Lodge Members -

Good commentary.

Consider this? What the trucks do every day, the ladies and gentlemen see everything. By now, we should all know
the Accident Report scorecards place the causes on unthinking types in four wheelers. Or, at least in many cases.

So, to pose a question here?  We might all be a lot better if that, where a braindead four wheeler in the traffic, the
operator of the "heavy" should simply call it in to local Police? Might work? Might help promoting images of the real
"pro" operators of the heavies?

................................Vern..........................

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs