If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Confrontations  (Read 55611 times)

Inkytruck

Confrontations
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:56:52 PM »
Anyone tried to take pics at a truckstop and have a driver or someone come over and start to ask questions? I am kind of afraid of this so I don't have many pictures(one of mine is in the thread "Freightliner FLD120"). I would like to get a lot more pics and I live near the great trucking cities of Fontana and Ontario, California, so I have many opportunities. I just want to find out how likely this is to happen.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:58:51 PM by Inkytruck »

Hank's Truck Forum

Confrontations
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:56:52 PM »

Felipe Garcia

• Regular Membership
    • FelipeGarcia | Aviation & Truck Photography
Re: Confrontations
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:08:18 PM »
No, actually I don't think they have the right to ask questions, but you also should try to be nice and it'll be fine.
My website
Truck Photography, Mixers and more.
http://www.felipe-garcia.net
UPDATED 13JUL12

bkentr

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:01:12 AM »

while you do have the right to take pictures, it is good to careful, and
polite.

the truck driver, possibly the owner, is also right to be careful about
someone "messing" with his/her truck.

if your taking pictures for fun, say so.  If a driver starts to ask questions,
let them know you have a real intrest in trucks, doing this for fun, and ask
them if they would like to be in one of the pics.

many drivers, and OO's will be glad to "show off" thier rig with pride.

they might even enjoy talking about where they are comming from,
what they are  hauling, and the destination. That info will make a great
caption for your pic, and make the pictures mean more later on.

like the tee shirt, with a message, I just happened to put on this morning
 says, " A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING"

If you are asked  or told to stop, do so, there are lots of trucks around.

kent

hank

• Administrator
    • http://www.hankstruckforum/htforum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:35:18 AM »
I am always looking around truck stops and rest areas to be sure that if the driver is in the cab or checking his tires, that I ask him first if he would mind if I took pictures of his truck. Sometimes they'll complain that the truck is dirty, but then I just inform the driver/owner that is really a working truck. I started carrying business cards because I got tired of writing down the web site URL. I think I have only been turned down once because the driver wasn't sure of the company's policy on pictures of their equipment. So I didn't take pictures of his truck out of respect for his request. It's like what's already been said, "There are lots of trucks out there."

The odd time I will have taken a picture of a truck and then later seen that there was a driver in the cab. I'll then go to him and tell him what I did and why. I tell them that I take pictures of trucks as a hobby and I also post them on the web site. They are usually very flattered that I took pictures of their truck and put them on the web site.

When I am at a trucking terminal I always go into the office and ask permission first too. I have done this always, even before 9-11 and the home security measures that many companies take. If people know what you are doing and why, then they have no reason to be suspicious.
Hank Suderman

cdntrucky@shaw.ca

Alan Drake

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:51:40 PM »
 I'll certainly second what Hank says. Here in UK/ Europe I've never had any problems taking photos. If somebody is with the truck always ask in a FRIENDLY and POLITE way. If you want to go into a companies premises always ask. Most times they will let you, subject to health and safety rules. BUT if they say NO, accept it, say thanks for your time and walk away. There is always another truck and another day.

CAN MAN

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »
Best to ask first , I had 1 guy ask if I could wait until he ran it through the wash so it would look better. 8-)

Inkytruck

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »
Thanks for replying! I'll definitely be polite and up front about my intentions. Speaking of terminals, i went to the SNI Fontana terminal and asked for a tour and I was guided around by the Western Regional Training Coordinator. He was a very nice guy and showed me all around. He said that I was definitely welcome to sign up when I turn 21 (in 10 months) and that they could use people like me.

Also, I was wondering what you guys thought of my first pic. It is in the thread "Freightliner FLD120."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:52:18 AM by Inkytruck »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »
i know this is an old thread but i just wanted to add my 2 cents. Only been asked once not to take pictures & that was at Bordentown Petro by a security guard.Have been asked a couple of times by drivers what i was doing. Didn't see them in their truck before the picture so i explained that it was a hobby; they basically muttered something about me needing to get a life.

if i see a driver in his truck & really want the picture, i'll ask for permission. Most apologize for truck being dirty & say shoot away.

i carry about 20 pictures i have taken from all over to show if anyone doubts i am anything but a hobbyist.

Strangely, have never been stopped or questioned by any type of law enforcement & i do take a lot of pictures on the NJTP which i've been told is forbidden.

As others have said there are lots of trucks & lots of places to take pictures so i'll move along if asked.

Charlie

kenworth man

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »
Anyone tried to take pics at a truckstop and have a driver or someone come over and start to ask questions? I am kind of afraid of this so I don't have many pictures(one of mine is in the thread "Freightliner FLD120"). I would like to get a lot more pics and I live near the great trucking cities of Fontana and Ontario, California, so I have many opportunities. I just want to find out how likely this is to happen.

as my photography teacher said I dont care how you get the PHOTO not picture just get it
but I  dont know dad says dont go to many truck could get hurt (yeah right) so I dont go
hope that helps :-)

road.rascal

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:33:47 PM »
i allways ask the driver of the truck first , somtimes if i take a few without asking then they will ask me why im taking pics and will i be framing them for somthing.  i think its better if you ask first that way there is no confusion or problems and just say its a hobby

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
I've only had 2 confrontations.

The first was in Chicago in 9/1989, I was in town for the last open house at the EMD locomotive plant in LaGrange that was held while they were still building locomotives there.

I was out railfanning and in my travels, happened upon an White RB2M64T in "full dress" ANR colors (a former Neuendorf tractor) parked onthe street near the big Burlington Northern yard in Cicero.  I stopped and got out of the car to take a picture.  As I was taking the photo, the driver came out of the restaurant across the street and asked me why I was taking a picture of his truck (I suspect that he thought that I was following him).  I replied that I liked trucks and that I hadn't seen one like his before.  He just walked away shaking his head.....

The second happened about 10 years ago in my neighborhood.  I saw an unusual rig apparently parked unattended at a local shopping center.  I stopped and took a picture.  As I was headed back to the car, the owner of the truck, who was the playing pool in the pool hall in the shopping center, came out yelling at me "What are you doing, I have permission to park that truck there".  Apparently he thought I was from zoning enforcement.  Again, I said that I liked trucks and wanted to take a picture of his, but I'm not sure he believed me.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
Had a different type of confrontation today down in Maryland. Not with security but with a trucker whose truck i had taken a picture of while he was driving down the public street to turn into the truck stop. He came marching up to me about 15 minutes after he parked his truck & told me i invaded his privacy as i didn't have his permission to take the picture.

I told him truck photography was a hobby but he couldn't understand that at all. I explained that getting his permission beforehand would be hard to do as he was in the cab, i was on the curb & the truck was doing about 20-25 mph. He didn't see the humor in that & demanded i delete his picture. I said no problem & proceeded to check my pictures for his truck. Here's where it gets stupid.

I ask what kind of truck he has. White FL Century, no markings on trailer. I laughed & said maybe i didn't take a photo of such a plain jane truck but he insisted i did. He also tells me the Unabomber had a lot of good points at which time i'm thinking the intimidation starting and he's wacko & i'm considering calling the cops.

So i search my pics for his truck so i can delete it. Can't see in the bright sun, neither can he. Find a Century we think is his but i don't know how to delete 1 photo only & i'll be damned if i'm going to delete all of them for this J/O. I press some buttons, tell him it's gone & he leaves with me telling him to have a nice day.

Checking my pics tonight i find his truck & him clearly giving me the finger as i snapped a pic off.  :-D
Don't want to come off sounding like a lawyer but if i'd have been in my home state i think i would have reacted differently. He & his truck were on a Public street; i was standing a few feet in from the curb which IIRC correctly is still Public property. I don't think he could have an expectation of privacy in this case. I think i was completely within my rights. If i were 30 years younger i think i would have just coldcocked the SOB.  :roll:

How do you drivers feel when someone snaps a pic of your truck?  :? Has Hank run into this with his Overpass pics?  :? I have the phone # of the trucking company this moron drives for & am thinking of calling them tomorrow and explaining i don't like being harassed by one of their employees and future actions like this might prove costly to them in the future in the form of law suits.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:45:41 PM by charlie »

DAVID350

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Wow what an abortion that was. Must have been a boring day for him to have to start that crap. Mabye his tags were expired??? :-D Don't let it get to you, keep taking pictures. Frekin jerkoff :roll:

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Wow. I've only been turned down for a truck picture twice. I've had several people ask me what I'm doing, but no one's really had a problem with it. Quite a story you've got there Charlie... I don't think you were doing anything wrong. I suppose he has a right to ask for his picture to be deleted, but he could've handled it a little better. I'd probably have trouble staying calm if I were confronted like that. I think there ARE a few cases when truck drivers are probably uncomfortable getting their pictures taken if something on their truck might not be exactly legal.
I remember seeing a police officer standing on the corner with a clipboard one day when I was driving my dad's truck with some friend's down near Salt Lake. He looked up at me and then went to write something down on his clipboard, I was a li'l shaken up for awhile after that. I bet some truckers that don't want anything to do with authorities might be concerned by someone taking their picture as they drive by.

The only time truckstop security has asked me to leave the premises was when there was a major propane leak. He ran up to me yelling "NO PICTURES! NO PICTURES!" and I had NO CLUE what was going on! I had just showed up with my camera for some truck pictures after a long day of work. Although, I did think it was odd that so many trucks were leaving all at once..... :roll:
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Rick Sousa

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »
Charlie I would have coldcocked him just because there is snow on the roof don't mean there no power in the punch  :evil: easy now  was just joking. He must have had a bad hair day

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs