If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Toront Peterbrough Transport  (Read 14433 times)

samuel21

Re: Toronto Peterborough Transport
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »
Yes the St. Clair Ave. operation was owned and operated by International Harvester. I worked there as a union represented parts counter man for a year before I went on the road doing inventories at the company branches around Ontario.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:41:09 PM by samuel21 »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »

samuel21

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
samuel welcome, what happened to Freightmaster I remember all those yellow trailers with green lettering, how big did Freightmaster get in its hey day, were you involved in trucking...CJ

My father and Charlie Hoar parted company in 1970. Freightmaster may have been as large as 60 units but I am guessing. My father started a small company in Port Hope but passed away in 1971. Charlie was ok until he ran into Max Haggerty (some sort of partnrship) and that was the end of Freightmaster. It had actually survived on it's PCV licenses which were pretty exclusive. That all went out the window with deregulation and CVOR.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:42:03 PM by samuel21 »

samuel21

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »
A couple of things here.  I remember one of the T.P.T. White 7000's tow'd into the shop at Cummins for an insurance
job. It had been doused with some corrosive that had stripped most of the paint off the cab. They where trying to asses
any damage to the engine, as it being a slab cab had a lot of engine exposed.
The second item is for Samuel. What was the name of the International dealer on St. Clair by Canada Packers.
Art Apps had a Mack on with Reichold, (Maybe a Hey/Mack) before he started Sundown Tank Lines.
While I have the attention on some of you young fella's Does any one remember Sandan Leasing. I think they occupied
the old Conner Sand and Gravel shop on Creditstone & Hwy 7 (Pinecrest Speedway)

The International location on St. Clair was a company store. I worked there for a year as a union represented parts counter man.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:43:52 PM by samuel21 »

wig wag

Re: Toront Peterbrough Transport
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Guy's.  I know I asked the same question some time back about the I H dealer, but it seems to me that back
in the 70"s when I worked at Cummins we always refered to the place by a surname.  Maybe it goes back to a time before it was a
company store? ------ It was a English sounding surname. I think Oscar Madsen was service manager their. His son Erik worked at cummins.

samuel21

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 01:39:46 AM »
As far as I know the Bathurst St. and St. Clair locations were always company owned. The one in Mississauga became McCombe International Trucks before McCleave in Brampton bought it. That location and the two branches previously mentioned were closed. McCleave later resigned and the company ended up with the whole thing back again. It has gone from private to company in the west end a couple of times now.
I remember Oscar well. He was running the diesel fuel system lab as they called it when I worked there in 1974. He rebuilt all the pumps and injectors for the shop.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:46:21 PM by samuel21 »

Madartist48

• Regular Membership
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
My dad use to drive for TPT in the 60s. The yard he ran out of was in Hamilton on Brampton Ave which joined to Woodward Ave. I myself knew some of the other drivers thru my dad and their dispatcher there. His name was Ray Giles and his brother Russ drove for them also. I believe my dad drove a Dodge tractor if memory serves me correct. I would have been about 20yrs old at the time. Russ some of the other drivers went on to drive for Laidlaw out of Hagersville.
Hope this gives some help.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs