If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Toront Peterbrough Transport  (Read 14432 times)

carl_roy

Toront Peterbrough Transport
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »
How many of you people remeber T.P.T (Toronto Peterbrough Transport) I can't remeber where was there yard before they moved to O Conner Drive at Sunset. This was many years before it was taken over by C.N.Transportation.
The owner than was Cliff Tanner.

Hank's Truck Forum

Toront Peterbrough Transport
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Re: Toront Peterbrough Transport
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »
Wasn't TPT down on or near Front Street by St. Lawrence Market?

Mike Malone

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:39:52 PM »

Or who remembers that T.P.T.'s tank operation was spun off into Provincial Tankers after the CN purchase?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »
Am I to stick up my hand and say:
"I do, I do!" :lol: :-D
I have no idea what they hauled but remember them using Dodge tractors with Detroit Diesels in them.

Were they down by The Market, Mike?
You're an "east-end" guy; do you remember them being down there?
Oh heck, that would be at least 1965, maybe earlier.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 05:43:48 PM by Rob Archer »

carl_roy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 05:05:47 AM »
Lets go back into the late 40s or very early 50s.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »
Lets go back into the late 40s or very early 50s.

Well then, Carl, that puts it a little before my time. I wasn't born till '52.

carl_roy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »
Your Just a kid yet and that scares me

harryscott

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 09:03:27 AM »
iI can rember back to about 56 when we moved to the Golden Mile area and T.P.T. was on O,connor Dr then- a but just a guess , I used to hear my dad and friends talk about a street called Transport alley - the actual street name was Lisgar St. which is at Queen & Dufferin St. I do remember that Hanson Trspt.which was the forerunner of Cdn. Freightways was on Lisgar St. before they moved to Mississauga  Ont. It was street where many of the small trspt. were located , simillar to Cherry st. in the east end of Toronto.

Mike Malone

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »

T.P.T. with Detroit-powered Dodges?

Nah ..... Swing fender "Goats" with 220 and 250 Cummins as I re-call.
Don't remember much about when they were anywhere but Sunrise and O'Connor - there's a high-rise apartmnet building on the property where their yard used to be.

We had a family friend (now deceased) who drove for TPT - his favourite ride was a '59 F-1100 Ford tag-tandem and through the years progressed to the usual CN trucking outfit complements of Didges, slab-cab Jap Freightliners and International Transtars before retiring.

Wasn't The Esplande also Transport Alley?

carl_roy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 04:10:56 AM »
Thanks Harry I can remeber as a kid going to that T.P.T yard. In the Early 50s My Fathers garage had a phoneof TPT to answer (before answering services were popular.)and of course there drivers would come in. 

harryscott

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 07:20:54 AM »
Very interesting to hear your background Carl mine is very similar . My uncle had 5 phones on his desk in those days all of fallen flags. I will throw the names out for old time sake and they may bring back some memories.COMMERCIAL TRANSPORT from Hamilton , CLARKE TRANSPORT from Orillia , CRUCIKSHANK & RUMBLE from Richmond Hill , RENNIE TRANSPORT from Stouffville Ont. and SCOTT CARTAGE which was the family business.I also think the Esplanade could have been called transport alley - I certinally remember what it was like in the late 50,s & 60,s with all the small out of town transports and local cartage operators meeting there at noon to switch and exchange freight . OH FOR THE GOOD OLE DAYS   

carl_roy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 08:20:12 PM »
Harry was that Scott Cartage end up with Laidlaw in the end I believe they use to haul into GM Oshawa from Woodbridge Ont.
I believe they haule Foam for seats. Or was tht the Scott that hauled with roll off bodies and ended up as Scott WoodsCartage.
Now my bells ringing with these names.

harryscott

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 06:52:14 AM »
HI Carl - It was Scott Woods Transport with the Roll-Off Tilt N Loads . I sold the business to Canada Cartage in July of 2004.The  other Scott you are thinking of was Scott Transport out of Oakville , Ont.that Laidlaw bought and rolled into Reliable Transport and ended as Reliable - Scott Transport .

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
Scott Re: Toront Peterbrough Transport
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »
Allow a small digression ( interuption) but I didin't think Scott from Oakville went into GM at all. They were a Ford carrier. I worked at Diversey in Clarkson in 1973. Scott's terminal was just around the corner, although it was officially in Oakville.
I never saw a GM tractor or straight in their yard or shops. It was all Ford.

Didn't you have to run the manufacturers brand to haul their goods?
ICL  was all GMC except for a broker or two in the steel division.

harryscott

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi Rob -I can see how you would think that about Scott of Oakville being all Ford but they had 3 or 4 G.M. tractors that worked exclusivly out of Monsanto (later Woodbridge Foam) Woodbridge Ont.and hauled to G.M. Oshawa , Ont. They had dedicated single axle van trailers and appeard to be a drop and switch p/u point .

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »