If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Montara International  (Read 6849 times)

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
Montara International
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:08:33 PM »
Does anyone remember the Ontario company Montara International, a fleet of very fancy FLC Freightliner conventional operating during the mid eighties then went out of buisness. All  trucks were painted black with blue stripes, some trucks were lettered another division called PA/ Production Associates. Claimed they were a privated carrier but I think more of a lease operator. Their fleet parked behind me at the Cookstown Truck Show one year. John Camposseo's green and yellow banana truck was originally a Montarra truck. John kept the Montara stripes, at the time I never saw a bunk that big. Each Montarra truck had a name on the hood like Spellbound or Ramblin Fever. Does anyone know anything about this company, why they dissapeared into history or were they just another shady leasing company.
CJ

Hank's Truck Forum

Montara International
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:08:33 PM »

snafu

Re: Montara International
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 04:07:27 AM »
I remember them well. I know a few people who worked for them back in the 80's.
They were owned and still are by Barry LeFroy.

I loved that old paint scheme...

Cat in Concord had a picture of one of their trucks hanging on the wall in its driver waiting room for years... well before they remodelled.

Shady leasing company?  :-D Well that's one way to describe them.

You'll still find Montara trucks around from time to time... either under the Montara name or Lefroy, except now they have California or Texas base plates. They were doing some work with Harrow a couple of years back now..

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply, did they loose their big contracts, were they in existance before all the fancy black and blue Freightliners. On occasion I see the Montara truck is it a burgundy cab can't remember only see the trailler I thought it was another Montara.

snafu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply, did they loose their big contracts, were they in existance before all the fancy black and blue Freightliners. On occasion I see the Montara truck is it a burgundy cab can't remember only see the trailler I thought it was another Montara.
Pretty much. Montara was big into the office furniture outbound back then and there was some question of bills not being paid on time...
Which is from my understanding why they all but disappeared for the most part.
They did have one big truck back in the early 90's that a friend of mine drove.. but I haven't seen it for years now.
There's no paint scheme to their trucks that I've seen up here in the past few years and certainly nothing as sharp as they had back then.. usually it's an older model tractor with a plain looking reefer.. the only way I even recognise them is by the name.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »
Snafu, You have to admit they were quite the head turning fleet at the time, all that chrome the big bunks and the colours. I was up on the top of the truck at the Cookstown show in 1986 and all those Montara trucks came in at once. I had never seen a fleet like that before. Somewhere I have a video I took of the trucks all coming in and parking. I think they were all new at the time. Montara just seemed to appear overnight cause no one at the show had even heard of them. Heres a pic from the show for anyone who doesn't know what Montara trucks looked like. The Camposseo banana truck is the old Montara flagship truck, the largest bunk Freightliner ever produced. 

snafu

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:36 PM »
Snafu, You have to admit they were quite the head turning fleet at the time, all that chrome the big bunks and the colours. I was up on the top of the truck at the Cookstown show in 1986 and all those Montara trucks came in at once. I had never seen a fleet like that before. Somewhere I have a video I took of the trucks all coming in and parking. I think they were all new at the time. Montara just seemed to appear overnight cause no one at the show had even heard of them. Heres a pic from the show for anyone who doesn't know what Montara trucks looked like. The Camposseo banana truck is the old Montara flagship truck, the largest bunk Freightliner ever produced.
Without a doubt, they did turn heads. I loved those colours. The guy that owned the Pete (Century Doors) that I posted in the TC thread, bought his first one in 85 with Barry. Him, myself and one other guy all used to work at Scarboro Movers together back in the early 80's. They both left to go work for Montara and that's how I came to know of Montara.

I've known John's (Camposeo) truck since the day it came off the line and was parked down at the old Freightliner dealership on North Queen. Seen it painted it's original colours with Montara then black red and orange (Trans Canada), burgandy (Woodbridge Foam) and now the Chouvitti colours.

Thanks for posting that picture.. as I said earlier, I lost most of my old pictures a few years back. Pictures like that are rare to replace and not many these days remember or have even heard of Montara from that era.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »
Did they do any work for Ontario Store Fixtures?

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
Sweet looking trucks for way back when. 8-) The 2nd truck seems to have something other than Montara on the spoiler; was it a O/O? And the 3rd trucks graphics on the spoiler seem a little diffrerent; were they all Freightliners or is that one maybe a Pete? Anyhow awesome looking fleet & thanks for the pictures. :-D :-D

snafu

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
Did they do any work for Ontario Store Fixtures?

Didn't everyone at one time or another  :-D

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 03:34:07 PM »
Didn't everyone at one time or another  :-D

well; I was thinking of a Pete in a similar paint job that hauled an OSF trailer.

Bugsy

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
another "trip leasing" out fit, there was a million, of these small trucking companies, and yes it seemed that everyone under the sun pulled for ONt. Store fixture, at on time it was a big deal for Concord Leasing

bigtruck

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »

Does anyone remember the Ontario company Montara International, a fleet of very fancy FLC Freightliner conventional operating during the mid eighties then went out of buisness. All  trucks were painted black with blue stripes, some trucks were lettered another division called PA/ Production Associates. Claimed they were a privated carrier but I think more of a lease operator. Their fleet parked behind me at the Cookstown Truck Show one year. John Camposseo's green and yellow banana truck was originally a Montarra truck. John kept the Montara stripes, at the time I never saw a bunk that big. Each Montarra truck had a name on the hood like Spellbound or Ramblin Fever. Does anyone know anything about this company, why they dissapeared into history or were they just another shady leasing company.
CJ
Thanks for the memories guys. Montara failed first by losing it,s major contract Saturn Office furniture. It was 80% of its receivables .

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs