If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: TRUCK STOPS  (Read 36641 times)

wbache

Re: TRUCK STOPS
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »

In an attempt to get back on topic, many of his loads came from one of the brokers trailers at Rube's.
[/quote]

Truck stops are a part of the history of trucking and have progressed from a Mom and Pop gas station and cafe to the large multi faceted operations today that not only furnish fuel-food and fix flat tires but offer comprehensive truck maintenance and repair-parking-shopping and ports for computers so drivers do not spend endless time talking on a pay phone. In the context of operations they also serve in some cases as the dispatch offices of various carriers and a place where truckers can find return loads(or any load). Those of us who go back to the period after WW2 can remember that nice clean safe places were scarce but the coming of the Interstate highway system channeled truck traffic onto lanes where it became profitable to build the facilities we see today. 

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
Flying J even has insurance and banking services.
Jim

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Those of you who have visited the City of Brotherly Love may have stopped for a meal or even laid over at the Walt Whitman Truck Stop in Philadelphia PA. Right off I-95 at Packer Avenue in the heart of the food distribution district & close to the piers; i'd heard it closed up but i hadn't been over that way in a couple years. Here's some pics to spark those old memories.  :lol:

Jason M.

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »
Although not a truckstop, does anybody remember the "campground" on I-84 in Southington, CT?  It was the Queen St. exit, I forget the number.  Get off the exit, head in town a couple of lights, and go right into a WIDE open shopping center parking lot.  No islands, no planters, light poles, nothing but acres of pavement.  Everybody I know used to stop there.  Dunkin D's across the street, cops would never bother you.  The rule was, sleep up against the trees, don't bother me, sleep out on the front line, kick my door.  I remember one night I must have counted 20 or so Big R's parked up for a break.  Can't get in there now, place got remodeled  a few years ago, would have a hard time getting a boat trailer in there now.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2007, 02:42:07 PM »
If you've ever driven on I-95 through the Carolinas you've seen the billboards for South of the Border at least 50 miles before you get there.  :lol: Pedro will tell you about everything you can buy at this tourist trap in Dillon SC.

Porky's Truck Stop

A quick view of the roadside buildings

Dwayne

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:06 PM »
I won't go into the whole trip but the first load I pulled to the Northeast for Dealers Transit was a vacuum pump tank trailer delivered to an outfit in Bayonne that cleaned out bulk tanks.  I seem to remember pulling into a place called Tooleys on a Sunday evening on 1 and 9 and someone on the lot warned me to be careful that the tires on the trailer didn't get stolen during the nite. I delivered it the next day and went back and hung around all day and at about 5pm the dispatcher in Fairless Hills sent me to some place not far from there to pickup a tube trailer from National Cylinder Gas and take it to Conshohocken Pa. I went by there several other times in my travels. When I had to layover around NYC I would go up to Mahwah and there were two places up there one of which was a Texaco and the other one I believe was Reinhauers and they had a nice lot and even had a few decent sleeping rooms and a scale. There was a truckwash across the road from it. This was in the late 60's early 70's.  We also used to have to go to Secondi Bros which I believe was in Stratford CN or close by to get our interline inspection to go on Wm. Corbitt(Newark NJ--later moved to Somerset) authority to pickup at Pratt and WHitlney in E.Hartford.  There was another truckstop next door which I remember as the Mayflower and a lot of UPS and REA drivers would pull in there. A lot of places where we did interline were at truck stops.  There was one just off the Thruway at Silver Creek NY where we would go on or off Corbitt depending on the direction we were going and between Silver Creek and Brecksville O. we would run on Thomas Easton Sons (Cleveland OH). In Brecksville we went back to Dealers authority. We did not interline on tow-a-way very often as Dealers had either nationwide secondary movement authority or specific  authority but a couple of times I remember interlining with ARCO car carriers. Before the days of Petro and Truckstops of America and later the Pilots and Flying J's there were some pretty decent places that come to mind. Bosselmans in Grand Island NE and the two Little America's in WY as well as the one in Flagstaff AZ. Pure Oil was a pioneer in the Chain type truckstops and then later they were bought out by Union 76 and they are gone now. you used to be able to park free have a meal and get a nites sleep now some of them want to charge. It's a different world But then I could remember buying Diesel fuel in 1960 at Shoemakers on the west side of Gallup NM on old US 66 for .15 a gallon at the pump and the tax which was filed directly with the state was .06. Art Taro who had a little Conoco Station close to downtown Gallup apologized in 1970 when he had to raise the price to .20. Those of us who lived back then probably think of that time as the good old days.

Finally got in there this week and had to pay for parking  :x but I love the truck stop so much history and old drivers around BS'in even though their parking lot is a garbage dump..

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »

Finally got in there this week

Which one were you at Dwayne?  :? The old Tooleys (now the Jersey Truck Stop) on Route 1 & 9?  :?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2007, 03:34:12 AM »
If you've ever driven on I-95 through the Carolinas you've seen the billboards for South of the Border at least 50 miles before you get there.  :lol: Pedro will tell you about everything you can buy at this tourist trap in Dillon SC.

Didn't Pedro actually tower right over R301 before I95 bypassed it?
Going back to the 1964- 66 time frame.

Dwayne

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
Which one were you at Dwayne?  :? The old Tooleys (now the Jersey Truck Stop) on Route 1 & 9?  :?

no, ol' Rubes

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
 :oops: Meant to say Rube's. Place hasn't changed much in the 50 years i remember it. Where did you deliver/pick up at?  :?

Dwayne

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2007, 04:15:51 AM »
:oops: Meant to say Rube's. Place hasn't changed much in the 50 years i remember it. Where did you deliver/pick up at?  :?

I was all over last week, I had..

Monday:
Giant of Carlisle, PA
Albertsons/ACME of Denver, PA
Burris of Elkton, MD

Tuesday:
J&J Farms of Maspeth (Brooklyn), NY
Rio Grande Imports of Copiague (Long Island), NY
This is when I got into Rubes for a few hours, then onto:
Michael Foods of Elizabeth, NJ

Wednesday:
Burris of Federalsburg, MD
Giant of Jessup, MD
Eby Brown of Baltimore, MD
Sweet Ovations of Philadelphia, PA

and that was my east coast for the week I had a few stops back out here in IL & WI on Thursday & Friday but thats it...

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2007, 04:15:51 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs