If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: CANADIAN Kenworth  (Read 9125 times)

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
CANADIAN Kenworth
« on: October 31, 2003, 07:39:21 AM »
In some of the discussions about the good old days of the '60's and '70's, Doug and Carol Jo make reference to CANADIAN Kenworths.
So, were there special engineering or spotting features that made a CANADIAN Kenworth different from it's American siblings?

Hank's Truck Forum

CANADIAN Kenworth
« on: October 31, 2003, 07:39:21 AM »

RodeoJoe

CANADIAN Kenworth
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 07:52:11 AM »
A couple of differences that come to mind are the name on the side of the hood was different and Cdn KW offered an 'Arctic Insulation Package'.  I remember seeing new KW's coming out of the Kitchener St Burnaby BC plant with 'Canadian Kenworth' with a maple leaf between the words on both sides of the hood.  I don't know what the Arctic package consisted of, I do know that you still had to use hockey tape to seal up the doors after the truck had more than one winter on it or you'd freeze to death.  Hopefully you will get some more info from folk with better memories than I.

hank

• Administrator
    • http://www.hankstruckforum/htforum
Some Canadian KENWORTH spotting features
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 10:31:21 AM »
Here are some comparison pictures showing the difference between the U.S. built Kenworth trucks and the Canadian built Kenworth trucks in the 1960's.

All of these thumbnails will give you a larger picture when you click on them.

US Built Kenworth Cabovers

Canadian Built Kenworth Cabovers

U.S. Built Kenworth Conventionals

Canadian Built Kenworth Conventionals

If anyone has any other spotting features between the Canadian and U.S. built Kenworth trucks in the 60's please share them.
Hank Suderman

cdntrucky@shaw.ca

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Canadian Kenworth.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 02:34:32 PM »
I'm no expert here, but I understand the Canadian Kenworth COE as we know it was built as a version of it's US parent. The most outstanding differences was the early and almost always use of the KW "Bug" on the radiator grille, the very noticeable access door to electrical components, small BBC cab - the fibreglass roof did not arrive until much later in the truck's production.
Production was eventually standardised on the K-100 as built in the US, with it's larger sleeper cab, the foot step pockets below the door and the fibreglass panels around the headlights.

Carol Jo is probably much more of a KW expert and I expect we'll be hearing from him on this.
Right-wing Old School.

carol jo

CDN KW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 09:19:27 AM »
I think Hank pretty well covered all the difference. I have a 1953 American needle nose KW in the driveway so I just took some Canadian pictures out with me. I think the hoods were longer on the American version and on the truck I own the battery box just sits on the running board on the passenger side. As you can see in Hanks pictures the Canadian version did not use a running board but made an integral fuel tank that was molded into the design on the back of the front fender. All the American versions always had the fuel tanks behind the cab. one drawback on the Canadian version was on the drivers side that molded fuel tank shared the battery box so it was always small fuel capacity unless you ordered another tank. The luberfiner on the American version was cut thru the running board on the left side. The aircleaners were quite different on both versions

Mister TyZo

Re: CANADIAN Kenworth
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
 ;). Was Watching a YouTube video last night , the latest Rolling Interview of Big Rig Videos .. Billy Baker from St.Catherines,On... He completely restored a W900 and said the Job wasn't complete until he could obtain an Authentic Kenworth Emblem with the word Canadian formed in the Emblem..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
.. Billy Baker from St.Catherines,On...

...the legend. 8)...Jim. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J28pfufQzxE
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
this will get you guys thinking....  what about the Canadian built K900 models....  yes a W900 chassis with the drop front insert...  but a slightly modified K series cab....  I know a few were exported to New Zealand

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
this will get you guys thinking....  what about the Canadian built K900 models....

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/532/KenWorth-Wednesdays?PageIndex=2

...1/2 way down the page. ;D...Jim. ;)
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
They were probably built in Burnaby to take advantage of the "British Preferential" tariff and be imported at a lower cost.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs