Author Topic: Monfort Transportation Greely, CO  (Read 9159 times)

Pete359

Monfort Transportation Greely, CO
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:03:55 PM »
Who bought out Monfort Transportation back in the 90's, it was some corporation (owned by attorneys I think) that was buying up companys left and right and then went bankrupt. I cannot think of the name. Does anyone know?

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Re: Monfort Transportation Greely, CO
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:14:11 PM »
Ameritruck

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
This is an ad for Ameritruck from 1998.  Around October '98 they put the refrigerated business on the block, which was most of the company.  Supposedly Prime was to pick this business up but I don't know if this was ever finalized.

Ameritruck was started in 1995 with the goal of doing 1 Billion dollars of business by 2000 and being the largest refrigerated carrier in the country, all by being leveraged to the hilt (in lieu of good old fashioned hard work).  The concept and/or management was obviously flawed. 

Kind of an unfitting end to the Legend of Monfort Transportation.

CAN MAN

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:07:41 PM »
PRIME did get a good portion of it , they had also bought FREYMILLER but the FREYMILLERS got some of it back and started things up again.

FREYMILLER use to run a lot of loads into Ontario at 1 time

southerncatfish

• Regular Membership
  • Break for a Radio check!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:50:17 PM »
I REMEMBER WHEN ALL THAT HAPPENED I USED TO WORK FOR W&L MOTOR LINES AND IT WAS NOT TO LONG AFTER I QUIT THET GOT BOUGHT AND THEN IT ALL WHEN STRAIGHT TO HELL SHORTLY AFTER THAT!!

:-o KEVIN
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:06:24 AM by southerncatfish »

Steve_WI

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:33:41 AM »
I thought Monfort's end was when Excel Meat Packing bought them out, as in Monforts meat packing and transportation operations?  Where did this play in the whole scheme of things?
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

John M. Pasko

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 08:46:02 PM »
Monfort of Colorado was THE original company with the legendary hot running Kenworth W-900 "circus wagons" as they were called. They were a private carrier with company drivers and hauled their own meat products (Monfort Packing). Mr. John Shupe (a fine gentleman who had his own successful trucking company in Greeley CO (Shupe Bros.) engineered the entire arrangement for Mr. Ken Monfort. I believe this included the hiring of the Monfort drivers. This arrrangement occurred after Ken became disgruntled with refrigerated railroad cars sitting in New York full of meat but unable to be unloaded, and he approached Mr. Shupe (who was a already a friend) for help. Two-man teams would get each rig from Greeley to New York in as little as 26 hours. Each team did two round trips per week. SUCCESS! After the packing company was sold to ConAgra Foods, I believe this new company used some owner operators as well as company trucks, all with a variety of truck brands and colors, and a different logo........and the familiar looking "circus wagons" were gone forever. :-(
John.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:33:30 AM by John M. Pasko »
"Been there... done that."

rikkis359

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 10:54:29 PM »
John, mentioning the 'circus wagons', at the risk of telling my age, I used to ride in one in my 'younger days'.  I still have pictures of the old yellow and orange truck, when we went around the Manchester scales in TN and 'smart elek' flipped the fifth wheel switch while going down the road after we got around them to stretch out again, and we lost the trailer.  Have pics of that also.  Those were the good ol days.

Pete359

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
I don't think Monfort Beef was bought by Excel Packing, they are owned by Con Agra.

pat

• Regular Membership
  • hi
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »
monfort meat packing plant, in greeley,co is owned by Swift & co.

not the sweaty women in freightliner trucks swift, but these guys have a round red logo
filthy stinking rich. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The Joe

• Regular Membership
  • Global non-Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
monfort meat packing plant, in greeley,co is owned by Swift & co.

not the sweaty women in freightliner trucks swift, but these guys have a round red logo

Pat, those two particular companies actually do have some common history though... Swift meat packing has been around for ages. They used to even have their own railroad cars...

But, more specifically, they had their own trucks...
- although a model, it showcases what their trucks used to look like...
This was long before deregulation, and Swift Meat Packing had ICC authority. While I'm not sure how many or which states, it can be assumed it was a sizable area.

Enter Jerry Moyes, of the Swift fame today. After Jerry Moyes graduated and recieved his degree in Business, he saw an opportunity to enter into the trucking industry. and prior to deregulation would have either applied for his own authority, which would be very limited if at all approved by the ICC. Or he could purchase the authority from another company. Somehow Moyes was able to arrange the purchase of Swift's ICC authority. Being that the authority was issued to "Swift", Moyes new company had to use this name. And as they say, the rest is history...

Well anyways, thats how I remember it going... Check out the history for yourself at Swift's website. http://www.swifttrans.com/template.asp?PageOrder=2a

pat

• Regular Membership
  • hi
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »
wow. learn something new everyday. lol  :-D

dpalme

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 01:06:33 PM »
I looked at that link to Swift's website, and I can only say that I would find it difficult to believe that Swift is larger than Schnieder.  They may be, but since Schneider is a privately held firm and they are not required to share financial or rolling stock information with the general public, we may in fact never know.

pat

• Regular Membership
  • hi
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 08:11:52 PM »
swift is bigger sizewise. since the aqusition of m.s carriers. although it looks as if they sold off all the m.s carriers tractors.

SNI is bigger revenue wise. and you're right. privately held.

Maurizio

• Jesus is the way and the truth and the life.John14
    • http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m10/maurice273/AndersonWebb.jpg
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 05:00:37 AM »
I remmeber when the left lane was called the Monfort lane. back in the 70 there trucks would run over 90 MPH and they had 3 driver in each truck. they haul swinging beef on I 80 fast trucks. I was told from Denver to New York non stop just for food and fuel. very well know back in the 80',

Maurice