If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Working '75 Star w/Mercury bunk  (Read 5045 times)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
Working '75 Star w/Mercury bunk
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »
I was heading into a rest area east of Columbus Ohio back on 12/19 and saw this truck pulling in ahead of me.  It looked like something pretty cool, but I about flipped when he looped around in front of me into the parking area and I saw the Mercury bunk.  The driver said he has driven it since it was new, I never did get the whole history, but he was the current owner.

A couple of side notes.  One, he said this was his "winter truck" as his other Star was too nice to drive in the bad weather.  Apparently it's a long wheelbase '78, also a low cab version and I think he said it was purple.  I'd love to see that one.

Secondly, on my way into town in the morning, I saw up on 270 NE of Columbus a tricked out AT64F Autocar, all white, small flattop bunk, pulling a tanker from the same company.  It had deep front fenders and full fenders on the rears.  This was the first time I have seen that model Acar tricked out, it was pretty cool.  I asked this driver about it, and he said it was owned by a buddy of his and that he had helped rebuild it.  I hadn't noticed at the time, but he said that they lowered the roof of the cab to match the older models, like the WStar in these pictures.

After I walked away I was kicking myself for not mentioning Hank's site.  Maybe Fishhook will run into or see one of these trucks sometime.

Hank's Truck Forum

Working '75 Star w/Mercury bunk
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »

supershowrigs.com

Re: Working '75 Star w/Mercury bunk
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »
that is an awesome starcar    :-o

seventiestrucker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »
Glad to see a rare Western Star. And it to still be driven by the original owner. That's groovy. :mrgreen:
There were trucks like the Pineapple out of Denver along with Carol Smith and his big black pete w/ a KTA600, The Monfort gang (Monfort Lane) ,Cantrell out of Mo. w/his wicked 359 3408 cat and all his friends, Frank Frazer and his small bunk, big KTA 600.

wbache

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:37 PM »
Back  before OEM's got into putting bunks on their conventionals in a big way Mercury was a big builder of Sleeper  boxes.  They also  built the bodies for "Roach coaches" mounted in place of pickup bodies on usually 3/4 ton chassis. Saw them all the time at factory gates and construction at Lunch time.  A lot of the sleepers were bright finish with a quilted look.

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:37:10 PM »
Looks just like the AMT kit, which came out in '73.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
That's REALLY cool!
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »
Looks just like the AMT kit, which came out in '73.

I thought the same thing, I felt like I was standing there looking at a big model kit.

Just as an aside to the topic, two of these Petes came by the same rest area, they may have been company trucks.

http://www.reistrucking.com/ourcompany.asp

Bruce M

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photos, it really is a ringer for the AMT kit.

That leads to this question.  Like the AMT kit, this tractor has the "W" with a star logo on the grille, rather than the White script usually on the trucks when they were still part of White Motor.  The kit grille also had that logo.  It seems really rare.  Does anyone know whether the "W" star logo was an option in the 70's, or why the kit had that rather than the White name on the grille?

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
Very sharp Star.  8-) Makes you wonder how many more winter trucks have yet to make an appearance on the roads. Bring 'em on if they're all this good looking.  :-)

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
Impressive!  :-o Sleeper doesn't look too roomy, but at least it looks real cool!  8-)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

1953 kw bullnose

• Thats right!
    • My truck show pics.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »
Thats a cool Old Star!!!  :lol:

MackMixer

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
Excellent looking oldie  :-o

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
Same truck?

JJG

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »
WOW!! That is sweet, missed this the first time you posted it and now it's getting even better!!

Jim.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! That's a "real" Western Star. I love the early models like that with the round headlights.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »