If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: McLean Trucking (NC) - Driver Bases?  (Read 2286 times)

hwyhaulier

McLean Trucking (NC) - Driver Bases?
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
Lodge Members -

An old friend recalled McLean. Question came to mind: Did the firm have a Driver Domicile
(Base) at Hurricane (Charleston) WV?

Your writer familiar with Eastern Area Domiciles, but had not given much thought to role
of Hurricane, WV. It should have been on the older McLean System. That is, not a point
which into the System with purchase of Chicago Express?

See item (noted here) of collapse of Silver Bridge at Point Pleasant, WV, in 1967. The
route carried much truck traffic. Looking at the Maps, it suggests McLean may have been
running shipments in and out of the South, via Point Pleasant, and possibly with power
based at Hurricane?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bridge

..............................Vern......................

Hank's Truck Forum

McLean Trucking (NC) - Driver Bases?
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: McLean Trucking (NC) - Driver Bases?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Can't help with the driver base question but sadly the Silver Bridge collapse is still etched in my memory.  :( 47 years ago last week & i can still recall the cars and trucks being pulled out of the river..........especially the McLean rig.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 05:53:40 AM »
The only McLean I recall was Rocky Mount NC. We stayed there on one of our family trips to the South circa 1968. We ate breakfast in the restaurant of a bowling alley or beside a bowling alley. The parking lot was full of Mclean Crackerboxes and the drivers were in the restaurant.
How would Hurricane WV be a domicile point in those days Vern?
We are talking either Pre-Interstate or Incomplete Interstate days.
I see it's at the junction of I 77 and I 79 now.

Merry Christmas Vern.
We are already off to my daughter's and probably won't be able to look here till later tonight.

Rob

hwyhaulier

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »
Rob - Charlie - Lodge Members -

The logic of a Driver Domicile at Hurricane WV in the heavy cargo flows between Ohio points, linking with the South.
Note (YAHOO! MAPS), current route at 241 Miles, between Hurricane and Winston-Salem. The latter (WST) site of
the firm's HQ Offices, and with its own Driver Domicile.

A bit puzzled about a possible Base, also at Rocky Mount (RMT). In any case, McLean with a very strong customer
base in NC State. Best  guess is RMT would have served much "short" NC, and moves between there and  North.

The Point Pleasant Silver Bridge disaster. We are showing our seasoning. Your writer recalls where he was on the
day it happened.

MISC: Bad, Old Days before Interstates. There were also very heavy flows of cargo, between Breezewood, PA and
Hancock, MD. Part of a through segment of USH-522. Largely movements between Western PA and South. Many of
the now gone Carriers active on it. Particularly, noted much activity by RDWY.

Here, again see the MAPS. The reason for the flow thru Hancock, MD, clearly it is how they ran between there and
Winchester, VA. At the VA point, junction with USH-11. It carried moves now on IH-81...

...........................Vern.......................
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:04:11 AM by hwyhaulier »

hwyhaulier

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:43:49 AM »
Rob - Charlie - Lodge Members -

Another Driver Domicile at Raphine, VA. Looking at the MAPS, that base obvious. Just under
five hundred (500) Miles between there and Atlanta (ATL). That a "...go to bed..." run. Note
Miles between Raphine (RAP) and Carlisle, PA such it could be done "...day turn...". Checked
RAP and NY/NJ Metro, using Moonachie for example. It checks at just under four hundred
(400) Miles.

Also, checking RAP - Cleveland (CVE), it should not have been a dispatch of choice. See MAPS
and note routings between ATL or WST, and CVE. The "flow" compels a Base at Hurricane,
WV?

..............................Vern.........................

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:40 PM »
Didn't McLean have a breakbulk at Lebanon, PA?
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

hwyhaulier

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
Didn't McLean have a breakbulk at Lebanon, PA? 

Gary - Lodge Members -

Possible dates come into play here. Looking at (YAHOO!) MAPS, which depict the strategic location of the site.
Your writer can make a conjecture it may have had a re-ship brought over by purchase of CHICAGO EXPRESS?

In the era when de-regulation set into play, McLEAN at BAL turned, and received large numbers of shipments
on interline with MOTOR FREIGHT EXPRESS for numerous points adjacent the Lebanon area. Upon de-regulation,
McLEAN opened at least one new Station, IIRC, directly in the Harrisburg - Carlisle area. The new Station there
to serve its local business base, but did not have a role as a re-ship...

............................Vern.....................

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs