Author Topic: James Bond 007 Kenworth W900L  (Read 7992 times)

DingosGotMyBaby

• My Hanks Collection
James Bond 007 Kenworth W900L
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »
Scattered amongst 133,804 posts on this forum I have found some info on the limited edition James Bond 007 Kenworth W900L. Seeing that a lot of this info is from posts back in 2003 and there are plenty of new forum members joined since then, I want to re-open the topic to find out as much detail as possible about these trucks.
From the sketchy information I have gathered so far;
-The movie was called Licence to Kill from 1989 staring Timothy Dalton,
-They used W900B Kenworths in the movie,
-With the first release of the Kenworth W900L, they painted up a limited number the same as the movie trucks,
-Panelite bought one and re-painted it burgundy with the heart beat decal,
-There is only 2 W900L’s in Australia both owned by the same person…one of them is a James Bond.
So feel free to correct me and fill in the gaps. I need as much info as possible on both the movie trucks and the limited edition releases. Photos, websites, scans from magazines (Overdrive) and I can pass this information on to the Aussie owner.
Find a profession and make it your obsession then you’ll never work a day in your life.

RD600_Mack

Re: James Bond 007 Kenworth W900L
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »
Wasnt it White with Gold Stripes and with an Aerodyne sleeper  :? :? Becuase i think i seen one as a Model before

Here is a Pic i found on the Web  :-D :-D

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6710-Kenworth-W-900.html

Jason M.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:53:07 AM »
A guy up here in western ME (I think the W. Paris area) won one of them in a contest back then.  He wasn't much of an operator because he ended up losing it after a while. (how do you lose a truck that you won?)  You can still see it today hauling fish in a tanker trailer up on the ME. coast.  However, it has lost most of it's luster, as you can imagine.

GMS-AU

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
If you have seen the movie, one does some amazing stuff, this off course was specially modified for the stunt work.  Hendrickson walking beam is good for off road, but it doesn't work as well as it did in the movie!!!  I think most of the originals were written off for the movie.

GMS

Grant Minor

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
One of the limited edition W900L's sold on a bankruptcy farm auction conducted by Steffes Auctioneers in North Dakota in late 2006. The owners name was Al Kraft. It looked like he used it not just for the farm work but for pulling around a race trailer. And, imagine that, the unit number was 007..... :roll:

KWJD

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Rent the movie on DVD.  There is a 15 minute documentary on the trucks and how they were built and such.  I highly reccomend it.

-John

D50

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 12:15:02 AM »
Here's a picture KW sent me back in '89. Also featured in their 1990 calendar.

DingosGotMyBaby

• My Hanks Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »
Special thanks go to D50 for emailing me a press release from Kenworth. I typed it out for all to read and I have a question at the end...

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 1989

KENWORTH OFFERS LIMITED EDITION JAMES BOND 007 TRUCK, PLUS INTRODUCES NEW EXTENDED HOOD OPTION

KIRKLAND, Wash - It might not do a wheelie like James Bond’s W900B, but Kenworth’s look-alike, with optional Extended Hood, will draw more than a few looks of admiration and cause a few truckers to pull out their tape measures.
   The Limited Edition James Bond truck coincides with the release of the newest James Bond movie, “Licence to Kill.” In the film, Bond uses Kenworth W900Bs to pull him through perilous situations. The same truck, minus the 1000 horsepower engine required in the film, will be available in limited numbers at Kenworth dealerships beginning in September.
   Ed Wallace, Kenworth’s general sales and marketing manager, says the trucks are not “standard” by any means. “They’ll feature the 007 paint design and a gold-plated Kenworth hood ornament, as well as a gold-plated nameplate on the side to commemorate the film,” said Wallace. “In addition, they’ll feature the most luxurious driver amenities we’ve ever offered, including a high powered (300 watt) sound system, with CD and cassette players and equalizer, and an entertainment system, complete with VCR and color TV. You won’t find a more sophisticated or powerful stereo system anywhere. In addition, the interior is our top-of-the-line VIT option diamond tufted - fitting for this special truck.”
   The Limited Edition also introduces Kenworth’s Extended Hood option, adding a full 10-inches to the hood, giving the truck a powerful, classic appearance. The Extended Hood will now be offered as an option on all Kenworth W900Bs.
   Drivers who enjoy the traditional look, will now be able to have the latest in technology along with the bold appearance of the longer hood and the 60-inch AERODYNE sleeper (standard with the Limited Edition). “The Extended Hood celebrates classic trucking with a full 130-inch bumper to back of cab dimension.”
    “Coming out of the factory, the Extended Hood model will be the fanciest, most eye-popping truck ever produced by Kenworth. It’s a beautiful truck,” Wallace said. “We’ve designed this model to appear to the successful driver who enjoys the glamour of chrome and polish, and who appreciates luxurious amenities.”
     Extended Hood models feature power steering using Cat, Cummins or Detroit Diesel engines. Customers have a choice of 9, 10, 13, 15 and 18 speed transmissions. Featuring tandem rear axles, the new model also has Kenworth Air Glide 100 rear suspension for a smoother, more comfortable ride.
   To make the W900B look more like a show truck than an over-the-road model, Kenworth have added lots of extra options. “We’ve added a substantial amount of bright work to really make it shine and stand out from the crowd,” said Wallace. “Starting at the front , we’ve gone with a chrome-plated steel bumper and added dual polished aluminum fuel tanks, dual chromed exhaust stacks, a stainless steel sun visor and polished aluminum tool and battery boxes. To finish off the truck, we are factory installing stainless steel cab and sleeper light panels, providing quite an impressive sight.”
   Wallace also pointed out that the new truck, like all Kenworths, had hundreds of options available to match the truck to the customer’s exact needs.
   The W900B with Extended Hood can be ordered with a 60-inch VIT or AERODYNE VIT Sleepers, or it can be ordered as a non-sleeper tractor.
   To learn more about Kenworth’s new James Bond Limited Edition or Extended Hood W900B, contact your local Kenworth dealer.

So my question is... is this truck a W900B or W900L :?
Find a profession and make it your obsession then you’ll never work a day in your life.

DingosGotMyBaby

• My Hanks Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:02:57 AM »
You can still see it today hauling fish in a tanker trailer up on the ME. coast.  However, it has lost most of it's luster, as you can imagine.
Here's a sneak peak at the condition the truck that arrived in Australia. I took the photo in June 2007 and in 2 weeks time you guys will get to see the finished project :-D

Jason M.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, the one up here in Maine is pretty beat.

Felipe Garcia

• Regular Membership
    • FelipeGarcia | Aviation & Truck Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
The one on the calendar is a W900L
My website
Truck Photography, Mixers and more.
http://www.felipe-garcia.net
UPDATED 13JUL12

DAVID350

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »
They're both L's.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:06:42 PM »
Dingos Got My Baby,
I can give you some info on the truck in the movie, the movie was filmed in Mexico and they used Mexican produced Kenworths. I have been visiting Mexico for the last 25 years and have great interest in these Kenworths. As you can see from watching the movie the Kenworths used were much different from the actual American made 007 special edition W900L.
   The reason is that in 1982 Kenworth Mexico never manufactured the W900B they just continued producing the w900A, Around the mid eighties Kenmex offered their version of the w900B, they still used the old A model cab and also the old hood but they redesigned around the headlights and fitted square headlights into the old hood. That was about the only change they did to their w900. But in 1982 USA and Canada they completly redesigned the Kenworth w900B by redesigning the hood, increasing the size of the cab and designing the brand new interior and dash. In the movie you can see the Kenmex nameplates and the big giveaway it is Mexican is the turn signals on top and bottom of mirror arms. The only thing similiar is the paint scheme they designed for the movie and adopted for the new W900L special edition. If you have any other questions about the movie truck or Mexican Kenworths I'd be glad to answer.
  Keep in mind Kenworth Mexico never did offer the W900B as we know it in America  they kept producing their version of the B right up into the early to mid nineties. I'm not sure when they stop producing this w900 but it was mainly replaced with the the T800 using the newer cab. The t600 was also offered around this time and is very popular in Mexico. Many may think they use mainly Hendrickson spring suspension but almost all 1970 thru 1990 Mexican Kenworth's were built with Kenworths very own Big 6 spring suspension. Most Kenworths built for Mexico today are  airide.
 sorry to ramble but I love my older Kenworth's
CJ

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »
I picked up this brochure at Inland Kenworth Bakersfield in 1988. They had an open house on the new w900L with a OO7 on display. It was the first one I'd seen.

c.j. hall

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »
Dingo, here is the other part of the brochure, top thread should have been 1989. The info I have written is not Kenworth factory facts on the Mexican trucks so if anyone else has anything to ad on on Mexican w900's I'd be glad to hear. I only go by what I've seen in Kenworths over the years visiting Mexico.