If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: trucks better or worse  (Read 17074 times)

carol jo

trucks better or worse
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:35:35 AM »
If you are looking at ride and the comfort on your body. Without a doubt trucks today are far superior in ride over the trucks of 20 years ago. I think this is very important if you are driving a truck everyday. I hope that truckers who started driving in the era of full air ride have better backs as they age.
I never understood why so many fleets in the seventies did not put more air ride on trucks. I think it was this backwards mentallity that air ride would leave you stranded and you just can't beat spring suspension for durability. When I started my job at specing the fleet at where I work now I had to almost pull teeth to get them to switch to air ride. I finally got my way and 10 years later no problem with air ride. I think it is better for driver comfort.
 Don't get me wrong I love the old trucks and being a huge Kenworth fan of their old trucks I guess I like the styling. Since I own 3 old Kenworths a 1953 on Page and Page and 2 1977's on Hendrickson spring. It is fun to take these old girls for a drive but you get spoiled in todays trucks. After 6 hours driving one of the old trucks I don't know how I spent all day years ago driving spring ride. How quickly we forget thank god I was younger. Newer trucks are finished off so nice in the interiors, beautiful upholstery and so quiet with a nice sterio system.

Hank's Truck Forum

trucks better or worse
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:35:35 AM »

William McCullough

trucks better or worse
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 01:31:38 PM »
I must be the oddball, while I enjoy looking at new trucks I have no desire to drive one. Back in '85 I briefly drove a brand new Marmon conventional, it was superior in every way to my '71 KW A model but not as fun to drive. I don't need a giant cab since I can only sit in one seat, plus the narrow cabs give you room on the outside for those nice big Vortox air cleaners. I'd rather look cool than be comfortable. Maybe I would change my mind if I drove a new one but for now give me a full size steering wheel and two sticks but you can keep the nasty block suspension.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Trucks - Better or Worse.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 05:54:04 AM »
Re: Air Ride.

Cost and weight were always a major factor years ago.

For one thing, you didn't really have the wide variety of brand names producing air ride suspensions as you do now.

Sure, you had Neway and while I still think it delivers a much better ride than many others, it cost that much more to install and added alot more weight to the tractor.

Hendrickson built an air-ride that was much like their "hockey puck" rubber-block suspension, only substituting an air bag for the rubber blocks above the walking beam.

That junk that Peterbilt used to use, the Western Unit "Stabilaire" suspension, well when it went to Freightliner in the mid '70s, it was nothing more than junk.
CALL THAT AIR RIDE?

And can someone tell me what, exactly, is it that is making that clinking and rattling sound as a truck on Hendrickson's new air-ride makes as it rolls down the road? Every time one goes by me, I'm looking to see what's dragging on the ground.
Right-wing Old School.

can man

trucks better or worse
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 07:50:06 PM »
Yes Doug, I will agree 100 percent that New Way air ride is the best way to go, although it costs a considerable amount to rebush the new way suspension. As for Hendrickson air ride, I think that they were designed to squeak. Ever listen to your truck as a forklift driver from the fast and the furious enters and exits your trailer? I anyone has witnessed such an event, I think that they will agree.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Trucks - Better or Worse.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 08:16:40 AM »
Canman;

I stand on the dock while the trailer's being loaded.
If he screws up, I end up paying for it.

It's called DEDUCTABLE.

Besides, my tractor has AirLiner suspension.

But getting back to Neway, I did mention that it was expensive. I still think it's a better air ride than most of the others. What makes the AirLiner suspension really nice is the fact that the cab is also on air. Freightliners have a tendency to wallow and float. They do take awhile to get used to but there are quite a few guys I know, including a couple driving for a very high profile Peterbilt fleet, who would rather have a Freightliner for it's ride.
Right-wing Old School.

trucks better or worse
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 06:01:10 PM »
Most companies, large or small, have insurance policies. These restrict drivers or other people from entering the loading area. Yes this can create a problem, but policies are policies. Someone said they stood by their trailer while it was being loaded? Paying for things like that (how often do problems like that happen) is just all part of the business. Things can't, and will never be perfect. The more forklift operators understand how much money you put into your pocket the more damage they will do, because they know it bothers the owner/operator driver.

Who wants to drive a truck that has air-ride cab and suspension and every other "air-ride" option the manufacturers provide. With the Ontario highways being the shape that they are in, you surely would want to feel the truck hitting the road. One would tend to think it could be a bit dangerous to drive feeling you are floating. Myself tends to prefer having a little bit of that "truck roughness". Its part of the character of being a professional truck driver.

With the amount of options there are today in specing a truck, its just personal preference in choice of air-ride suspensions. Its an age-old battle, arguing about truck options. I guess its just my personality but I can't stand listening to people bitch about what they have. Just put up with it and live with what you got. Just keep them pennies rolling in and save em' in your mattress until ones got the money to buy a new truck the way they want it.

And most likely, it still wont be good enough for them, and they find something else to bitch about.

Hayes_Clipper_Driver

trucks better or worse
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 11:15:34 AM »
:D
My first post !
By my "handle", you can probably tell what is my preference... It's SUPPOSED to feel like a truck ! OK, I'll agree, my rubber blocks above the walking beam CAN be a little much, however, I must say that the stability it provides during cornering on a good road surface is definitely a plus.

BTW, no, unfortunately I'm not a professional driver... just a hobbiest. I'm setting up my old 68 Clipper tractor ( NHC 250 / 13 ) for hauling a 5-6 car 5th wheel trailer... mostly just for personal use ( I have a small auto restoration business, and do a little drag racing ).

Been into big trucks since I was born ( 1959 ) ! My Dad took me to the Hayes plant as well as Canadian Kenworth on the west coast in 1974.

bcgofer

trucks now better or worse
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 02:25:31 PM »
How old are some of these guys who think the old trucks are better.

i agree on the looks but not on the ride, my god i remeber the old springs and rubber blocks. How many old truckers do you see with bad backs and
shook up insides.

I remmeber the roads ie: N. Dakota , Winnipeg the concrete used to beat you to death and the toll on the loads. I sae cattle liners come to Winnipeg
with broken legs from getting bounced around so badly. Some of you guys could not have road on the gravel roads in the praires.

I would not want to go back to the old style suspensions for anybody.

You just have to learn to be more careful in corners with everything on air.

MAGMAN

• Regular Membership
trucks better or worse
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »
Something else we tend to overlook is how much smaller cab interiors were 30-40 years ago compared to right now and how most of us tend to put on a little weight as we get older. I drove a restored early 1970s truck belonging to a friend of mine recently and while I remember driving this same model when it was current with no problem, now it seems SO small and cramped! I was banging my head, elbows and knees every time I moved and the cab seating controls and dash switches were fiddly and difficult to reach. I will (reluctantly) admit that I have increased in weight by about 70-lbs since those days, but just the same I realize that driving a modern truck is SO much easier and more comfortable. And if you're gonna be stuck behind the wheel every day for 10-hours plus, why not make it a pleasant experience? Older trucks are GREAT to look at and fantastic fun to show or view at a truck meeting. But give me a today's trucks every day if I had to drive one for a living.

Mike Malone

Trucks better or worse.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:33:51 AM »
Must've been a Peterbilt ..........

MAGMAN

• Regular Membership
trucks better or worse
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 07:48:58 AM »
Actually Mike it was a Foden. But of course that's another Paccar product...or at least it is now.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
trucks better or worse
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 08:00:45 AM »
I have to agree with most of the old guys.

Give me the ride and comfort of the newer trucks.
I'm only fifty, and I've got several narrowed/ruptured discs, had back surgery, passed kidney stones, can't straighten my left arm, and have arthritis everywhere.
All from driving rough old trucks!  

The one known as Guest made a good point though.
There is a limit to how soft a truck should ride.
Those who never drove a kidney buster, may not understand how important, being able to feel the road is.
I've seen drivers with air ride everything, pull into the dock, and most of the bottom layer of freight, is squashed.
"Cranberry Juice Everywhere!"

My favorite riding truck, was a 1996 KW W900 conventional I drove, with 8 bag suspension, on a 245" WB, and no air ride cab.
It was a road hugger, (that didn't sway or bobble), rode pretty smooth, but you could still feel the road underneath you.

And "bcgofer" isn't kidding about the cattle with broken legs and such, in Manitoba and N Dakota.
The stretch from Portage La Prairie to Winnipeg, was one of the worst stretches of road on the continent.
It was only fifty miles, but depending on how your load rode, it could take 2 hours to do it.
At any given time you would see a muffler, a piece of a fender, brake drums, busted springs, piles of lumber, and numerous other truck parts or freight, laying on the shoulder, or in the ditch.

One thing I don't like about the newer trucks is, some are a little too quiet, and you can't hear the engine and driveline like the old ones.
If something goes for a dump, you may not hear it.

Another thing I don't like about the newer trucks,( I hate it), is throttle by wire.
I don't care how much they refine it, a mechanical pump is much more responsive and precise, and feels less like a sponge when you step on it, and doesn't have that annoying millisecond delay when you shift with the jakes.
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

countryhauler

• Loud pipes save lives!
    • Myspace
Re: trucks better or worse
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Yeah, old trucks are great, I agrea with Will, I'd rather look cool than be comfortable, but remember, it's a truck, it ain't that cramped!

352 pete

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »
Guys, I'm 41 yrs old and have a 1973 cabover Pete.  I've had this truck in 19 states in 2008 (from GA to CA. to PA.) This thing has twice the leg room, for driver or passenger, than the good ole' FLD I had.  The two things I found not to really like about this older truck is (1) don't wear them flip-flops (WERNER driving shoes) in cold weather when driving-may get frost bite on your toes.  Really your can sleep plenty warm, but get to moving and the cold draft is a killer!.  I'm still trying to fix that.  (2) The small bunk.  Heck that's my fault.  Peterbilt made bigger cabs. I just bought one of the smaller ones. 
     Hauled steel for BESL on spring suspension and always 75-78,000 gross.  You can set a cup of coffee on the flat part of the dash while moving and never spill a drop.  I can sit in it for 650 miles a day and feel no more tired than driving a "new" truck.  Yes, any cabover can be a bad ride if set up wrong, but so can a hood. Bottom line old truck don't mean bad truck.  An older truck in good shape is a heck of alot less $$$$ to maintain as long as you stay on top of it.  Check Truck Paper.com and see what these older cabover KW and Petes are sell for. 

Paccar 105

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
Breathing live in this old but interesting topic

One point i have wanted to make for a long time is that i regret trucks (and cars) losing their identity.In the "old" days you could tell a Spanish truck from a German from a Sweed.Same with North Americans.All had their own style,for better or worse.Now ,just like with cars,you have to look carefully because the difference has become so small. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

One the plus side,the thing making trucks lose some off their identity(only a few truckbrands left in the world) has made drivers live better and safer.Now all innovations are going in all the trucks.In the debate air vs springsuspention one thing has been overlooked.Good airsuspension is safer.Under braking air gives better contact with roadsurface and so less risks off jacknife.I hope for our North-American friends that diskbrakes and EBS(electronic braking)becomes standard sooner than later.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs