If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: LARGE CARS!!!  (Read 14968 times)

mike b

LARGE CARS!!!
« on: October 10, 2003, 07:08:38 PM »
My favorite trucks are the long hood 359 and 379 long hood peterbilts "I just can not choose between the two".. These trucks in my opinion are some of the classiest motor vehicles ever built..

A close second favorite would be the W-900 kenworth.. I think their V.I.T interior with the diamond-tufted upholstery was and is the nicest looking interior option in the industry execept maybe for peterbilts American & Canadian class interior..

I guess most people out there must agree, because at every truck show and shine I go to most of the trucks on display are either built by peterbilt or  kenworth.. I guess that says somthing about these two builders..

I just cannot get used to the sleeper and cab shape on the new western star 4900 model,but I guess it is still better looking  than most aerodynamic styled trucks..

Last but not least is the freightliner classic xl, these are nice if you can not have a peterbilt or a kenworth..

________
mike b

Hank's Truck Forum

LARGE CARS!!!
« on: October 10, 2003, 07:08:38 PM »

Steve_WI

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 12:01:44 AM »
I also like the Pete 359 and 379.  I also like the Kenworth W900L and the W900A.  I personally think that the Unibilt sleepers are awful small, so that is why I like the Kenworths with their aerocabs.  The Pete Ultra sleeper dosent sound too bad either.  

I use to like Western Star, up until Freightliner bought them out.  I do not like that new sleeper of theirs.  It has Freightliner written all over it.   I do however like the LowMax, but me personally I would choose a lowered KW or better yet a Pete before I got into this truck.  

I dont really care for the International 9900 series.  I also dont care for the Freightliner Coronado.  They say thats an O/O truck, but I just dont see it.  The Classic XL isent bad either, but than again its not Pete or KW.  

Theres my 2 cents.  If it was me, I would choose a Kenworth T800 over all of these trucks to put in a show.  Something different and more of an eye catcher to see something you wouldnt ordinarily call a show truck.  

Steve
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

mike b

international-9900 and freightliner coranado..
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 05:55:09 PM »
Hi steve,

I never even thought about the freightliner coranado and the international-9900.. These trucks definitely go in the "large-car" category and I agree with your opinions on these two trucks..

Have you seen the redesingned international eagle interior?? The new interior looks more like a motor home than a truck!! Gone is the daimond-tufted upholstered walls and doors now it is molded plastic, yuck!!

The freightliner coronado looks to me like a century class on steriods.. Come on freightliner the columbia and century were ugly enough why did you have to go and make another ugly model..

The t-800 kenworth is enormously popular here in Oregon in logging and construction applications.. I have ony seen a few t-800s set up as fancy over the road trucks and they looked good..It is nice to see something different out here..

_________
mike b

can man

eagle interiors
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 07:59:10 PM »
Finally someone has recognized the demise of the eagle interior. Up until the new style "i" cab, the eagle, in my opinion was one of the classiest interiors made. Take the bentz bunk with a sink for example. Or the various colors of an eagle interior. Garnet red, quartz brown, pearl gray, charcoal gray and topaz blue of the late 1990s. What about all the retro 80s colors in a CO9670 or F9370. It is such shame that all of the new international products could be compared to a century class or a T2000. The eagle was a very comfortable interior when you were surrounded by button tufted upholstery on nearly every part of the cab in leather or crushed velour.

As for the coronado, is nothing more than a plastic pile of you know what along with its close relatives, the century and columbia. The Classic XL is still a quality truck. When this line is discontinued it will be the demise of another quality truck manufactuer, if they aren't already there yet. Lets just keep the old stuff alive because it will soon be extinct like the dinosaurs

can man

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 09:23:09 PM »
The 1993 release of the Pacific influenced dash of the International 9000 series highway trucks spelled out inovation in driver comfort. Every try to find a radio station in a Peterbilt 370 series? The placement of radio, heater a/c controls and instruments were easily at your finger tip. How about trying to read the half the gauges behind the steering column on your overrated 359 corvette dash. Although you might have looked good, you were going no where. Another feature of the international cab was the location of the built in CB external speaker above the driver's ear. The extra padding and the top of the line button tufted crushed velour interior made the driver seem as if he were in flight. where could you put two full cups of extra large coffee, 20 dollars in toll change, the entire continental USA in maps, 1 bottle of armor all , 1 windex and two rolls of paper towel, scribble paper, sunglasses, kleenex, log books from the last year, large NTS fuel book, 20 in 1 tool kit, hard hat and potato chips? Answer, the 1993-1999 eagle interior. No other truck maker since has been able to duplicate the creature comforts found in an eagle.

mike b

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 07:01:35 AM »
can man,

First off I agree with your thoughts on the eagle.. I just was assigned to a 1995 9400 international eagle with the big flat top pro sleeper and I think it is nice..I like the dash set up better than my previous truck a fld-120..

I must also add I think the early 379 dash before the recent design change is the best set up I have ever used.. The 379 I drove had a  factory installed pioneer stereo system that had a remote control so operating the stereo was very easy from the cab or sleeper!!

I feel I must come to the defense of the legendary 359 corvette dash for its time I feel it was ok.. By post 1987 standards yes the 359 dash is not very user freindly.. But what it lacks in ergonomics it makes up in style..

Suprise I thought I was the only person who thought trucks were every bit as interesting on the inside as on the out side!! Thanks for the interesting conversation..

_________
mike b

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Large Cars!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 05:41:44 AM »
Gentlemen;

Isn't the idea to keep the "Classic" looking truck alive?

Plastic is cheap. We all know that and it's probably alot easier to put together a plastic interior as opposed to the fancier cloth fabric ones that we're used to.
Don't forget that the manufacturer also makes or loses money on the vehicle if it takes too long to run it down the assembly line. Years ago I visited the International plant at Chatham Ontario and was surprised to see stacked, assembled chassis' waiting to proceed down the line. The chassis assembly workers were on "break" while the rest of the line workers were busy. Beside the chassis assembly workers were two or three stacks of assembled chassis' waiting to go down the line - they had accomplished their work.

We all love the "Classic" looking truck, be it Kenworth, Peterbilt or Freightliner. But look closely at what's happening.

So long as Paccar remains in American hands, you will continue to have the "Classic" Peterbilt and Kenworth.

Unfortunately, with Freightliner, the "Classic" is doomed.
Whether you liked the FLD or not, by ending it's production, Daimler-Benz, and in the end it will be Daimler-Benz and NOT DaimlerChrysler, spelled out exactly what will happen.

Stuttgart Germany will decide what a Freightliner of the future will look like. Not Portland Oregon.I've ridden in a new Coronado. Fantastic truck from the inside, where in many respects it should only really matter.
But on the outside, to me there's only one way to describe it's looks:
"CONTRIVED".
It's as if Freightliner went down one aisle after another in a cheap auto parts store looking for something to put on a Century Class truck to make it look different.

I'd sooner have a Century itself as opposed to a Columbia or Coronado, if I have to have a Freightliner product in the future.

I suppose I'll just have to hang onto the ol' Pedro-Liner just a little longer.
After four years, I've just about gotten all of the bugs, squeaks and rattles out of what Pedro took a siesta on.
Right-wing Old School.

Steve_WI

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 07:24:20 AM »
I can't compare the older International interiors vs the newer styles.  Personally I  think the newer style isent all that bad, but than again, Im looking at it through a brochure.  The Eagle line dosent look bad in my opinion, but than again what do I know, I don't live in one.

I wonder with Oct. 2002 behind us and 2007 coming straight at us along with fluctuating fuel prices and ever increasing costs, I wonder if the large car days are number?  I hope not. :(

Steve
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Large Cars.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 08:11:52 AM »
So long as a man or a woman can still walk into a truck dealership, plop down their down payment, have financing arranged, etc., I doubt very much that the day of a LARGE CAR is doomed.

Independence is pretty well what much of the owner-operator market is all about.

LARGE CARS can also turn in some pretty acceptable fuel numbers, if operated with fuel economy in mind.

As an example, I returned from La Salle Illinois to Ontario Canada last Saturday afternoon, pulling an empty 53-foot dry van. I have a 2000 FLD 120 right straight out of the aero style with full fairing kit. My best economy with a de-rated Series 60 Detroit, Super10 transmission and 3.70 rears was 10.29 miles per Imperial gallon - change that over to US and it would be in the high 8's or better.

Following me was another of our owner-operators with an FLD Classic, 70-inch Raised Roof SleeperCab, full 430 Series 60 and a 13 double-over pulling a company-owned 53-foot reefer. I don't know what his rear ratio was, but his engine computer was telling him that his fuel economy was better than 10.5 miles per Imperial gallon.

BETTER THAN THE COMPANY SPEC'D TRUCK.

So long as there will always be owner-operators, there will always be LARGE CARS.
Right-wing Old School.

mike b

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 10:27:25 PM »
Hi guys

I do not feel the large car is doomed for reasons doug stated and also large cars generally have much better resale value than aerodynamic conventionals..For this reason you are seeing some small and medium sized fleets buying large cars because it is hard for them to take the lower resale value of the aero-type trucks come trade in time..

I am also seeing some larger fleets in the U.S buying some large cars like werner, marten and navajo..I think I have seen some larger fleets out of CANADA like can-am and day and ross running some large cars as well..

_________
mike b

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Canadian Large Cars
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 11:49:11 AM »
Quote from: mike b
Hi guys

..I think I have seen some larger fleets out of CANADA like can-am and day and ross running some large cars as well..

_________
mike b

Hi Mike: Doug or Rodeo Joe can correct me on this, but those would likely be owner operator trucks.

mike b

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 02:41:08 PM »
Hi Rob

The reason I thought these can-am and day and ross large cars were company owned is because they had the companys paint scheme.. I hope there is someone out there who can give us more info..

______
mike b

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
So what makes a LARGE CAR?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 05:25:39 PM »
What makes a tractor a LARGE CAR?
Must it be a Peterbilt, a Kenworth or a long hood Freightliner?
What about a Mack Vision for example?
Could a Mack be a Large Car?
Did Mack lose much cachet when the RL/RW was dropped from its model line up?
What about a Volvo, say a VN780, That's a pretty big tractor, but is it a Large Car?
I don't like to mention Western Stars since they closed Kelowna, but I guess I should mention Internationals since Chatham is remaining.
Heck on that note, even Sterling makes a large highway sleeper tractor.

can man

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 07:21:29 PM »
I think that I should speak for all truck lovers new and old. The volvo is not a large car nevermind a truck. They should be banished from the earth.

mike b

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 09:24:54 PM »
Rob Archer

I would say the definition of a "LARGE CAR" is a truck that-

1. Has a long 68+ inch hood that has very little to no slope.. Take a 379 long hood peterbilt for example it has a 68.9 inch hood.. Compare that to most aerodynamic conventionals which only have a 61 inch or shorter hood that steeply slopes.. For these reasons I do not think mack or sterling makes a truck today that could be called a large car..

2. Large cars generally have external chrome or stainless steel air cleaners mounted on the side of the cab..

3. Large cars usually have more traditional looking dash boards with   individual gauges instead of gauges in a cluster..

4. Large cars in most cases have  more traditional upholstery designs for example peterbilts american/canadian class interior option or kenworths V.I.T daimond tufted upholstery..

5. The only trucks in production today that I feel could be labeled a large car is-

1. Freightliners classic xl 2. Peterbilts 379 long hood 3. Kenworths w-900 longhood.. 4. Internationals 9900ix 5. possibly Freightliners coronado..
6. Western stars 4900..

Can man I could not agree with you more the on the statment you made about volvo not being a truck or anything else but a piece of #*!@.. I unfortunately sometimes have to drive a volvo vnl 610 powered by the 425hp ve d12 engine so I speak from experience..

________
mike b

Hank's Truck Forum

LARGE CARS!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 09:24:54 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs