If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Giant Eagle/GetGo  (Read 12421 times)

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
Re: Giant Eagle/GetGo
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 12:30:05 AM »
Yeah. I'm not sure of model numbers but the company standard is the same that Yellow and Roadway use while the red one is a daycab version of the otr tractors that Swift uses, for example. I would imagine that the interior is probably a bit more luxurious in the red one,too.

Blue = VNM64, Red = VNL64
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 12:30:05 AM »

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »
Posted by: John L. Becker 

Back in the 80's, my brother-in-law delivered produce to OK Grocery in Pittsburgh. I went with him one time and I think the warehouse was on 30 something street off of Liberty. Does this sound right? From what I can remember, it was kind of a hole-in-the-wall.

Last Saturday I had to pass through town so I went up through the Strip District to check out the old place.  It's still unoccupied, although GE seems to have left a few trailers.  I forgot to check which street I was on, it ws 34th or 35th.

John L. Becker

• Regular Membership
    • The Official Cyber Home of Acme Trailer Works!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 02:50:31 AM »
That looks about right. Only picture A LOT of trailers and straight trucks waitinging for a dock door!

Thanks for the memories!

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
Last Monday I had to go to a company called HBC near Washington, Pa. for work.  It's actually owned by Giant Eagle and serves as a dry goods warehouse. I was able to catch these pictures in the dock area.

Morning LTL lineup

McClymonds Supply and Transit is a pretty big bulk hauler out of Portersville, Pa, but they have also been doing work for Giant Eagle.  Three of their rigs came in together, two Pete 386's and an International.

the COE in the background is from Pirollo Transport, a small Pittsburgh based carrier, primarily refrigerated.  They are still using a couple of their 362's for local work.

I was here from about 9AM until 1:30, and FedEx was sitting here the whole time

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:09:45 PM by Paul Kane »

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 09:52:40 AM »

Your pic also shows 2 of Aim Dedicated Logistic's trucks in the backround. It looks like they've gone back to Internationals, which is what they had from '99 until they bought the Sterlings in '03.

Thanks for posting the article on the Strip District.
Jim

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
Back on 12/6/07 I had to go to the Pittsburgh area warehouses for work.  They have both refrigerated and dry warehouses a few miles west of downtown.  This facility is officially named OK Grocery, and the trucks operate under Talon Logistics.

A rig coming out on the service road as I was headed in.

Tractor lineup with both the older and newer all-blue livery.

This tractor was posed nicely outside of the offices for the dry warehouse, under the watchful eye of "Captain Safety."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:11:07 PM by Paul Kane »

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »

Last Saturday I had to pass through town so I went up through the Strip District to check out the old place.  It's still unoccupied, although GE seems to have left a few trailers.  I forgot to check which street I was on, it ws 34th or 35th.

Back about 10 years ago there was a story on the news about a Steeler that worked at the OK Grocery warehouse in the Strip during the off season. I can't remember who it was. :|
Jim

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
Back about 10 years ago there was a story on the news about a Steeler that worked at the OK Grocery warehouse in the Strip during the off season. 
Like the old days when pro athletes actually worked in the off season to supplement those huge $12,000 salaries.  :-D Guess the nameless Steeler didn't get a big signing bonus.  :roll:

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
This is a new spec tractor that I first saw last fall and was finally able to catch up with one about a month ago.  Seeing more of them all of a sudden so I guess their uping the purchase of these.  The color red and the air deflector is a big departure for them.  I thought this is a nice looking tractor.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 03:57:32 AM »
They look good with the aluminum wheels all around. Looks like they're putting in a few extra bucks for wheel accessories too.

I wonder if they will eventually put banners or graphics on more of their trailers. They did part of the fleet, but they still seem to prefer the plain white.
Jim

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
Here's a few shots of the new white reefers with the polished wheels.

This rig is EB on I-76 about to enter Pa.

A pair EB on I-70 near Claysville Pa on 12/1/07

Chad

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
Paul, Guttman has a fuel terminal in Morgantown along the river 2 or 3 tanks for storage and 3 trucks one T800 one FL (axle forward Classic)? And a straight truck tanker. They have a place in Elkins, WV as well for grease and oil products hauled in box trucks.

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
Paul, Guttman has a fuel terminal in Morgantown along the river 2 or 3 tanks for storage and 3 trucks one T800 one FL (axle forward Classic)? And a straight truck tanker. They have a place in Elkins, WV as well for grease and oil products hauled in box trucks.

They really do keep them close to the terminals. The one near me (Belle Vernon but it's actually across the river in Speers) is only about an hour from Morgantown.

About 10 years ago, I think the short hood FL classic was the fleet standard
Jim

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »
Shot this photo today while at the Giant Eagle refrigerated warehouse (OK Grocery) in Pittsburgh

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 12:37:38 AM »
On the far left in the above pic there's a reefer that has orange intake grills instead of blue to match the tractors. When I used to go in there a few nights a week they had one that was always one sitting in the lot.

I don't know what it was used for, but it was the only 53 foot reefer I'd seen of theirs. The unit number began wit SP instead of P for Pittsburgh, possibly because it also had swing doors instead of the fleet standard roll-up doors.

I had asked a couple of drivers about it but in spite of the different color grills, the longer length, and the swing doors, they said they didn't think it was used for anything special and one of them said the only time he's seen it move was within the yard. :?
Jim

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 12:37:38 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs