If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: My First Trip-Part One  (Read 12072 times)

Cookieman

Re: My First Trip-Part One
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
why is that doug?

Probably the same reason i don't go past Texas. - Can't be home for the Weekend 8-)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
Sorry that I havn't gotten the second and final instalment of this story posted yet, I have been busy with work, and forgot my computer the last trip, so I will try to get the story finished and posted sometime this weekend, once again, sorry about the delay.

Ryan, what ever is destined for your future, I wish you many good luck's, I was faced with limited oppertunities when I graduated from high school, my family was not well off, we lived comfortably, but that was about it, we didn't go on any vacations, we were slaves to the ranch, I had started my pilot's training when I was 17, but trucks soon took over my priorities on my career choice list. I will give you some advice that I wish my dad had given me, go to college, get a degree in something while you are waiting to turn 21, then if truck driving is still on your priorities list, then atleast you have something to fall back on if trucking dosn't work out for you.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

Leonard

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:11 PM »
go to college, get a degree in something while you are waiting to turn 21, then if truck driving is still on your priorities list, then atleast you have something to fall back on if trucking dosn't work out for you.

my father says that this is the only way i can drive a truck (hes lightned up lateley)
'i will admit trucking puts food on the table and gets you through school comfortably but i want to see you do better that i did.   do i regret driving no because it was regulated and i HAD a retirement but know that its de regged and my retirement is gone i do but i have no other carear that i can get into'  an than i lose him

but deffanatly go to school!!
its a binder thing you just wouldnt get it...

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »
Nice story Nate.  You probably could write a book.  I also find it astounding you remember most of the little details that happened.  It shows you really had an awesome experience! :-)  I'll be waiting..

Updated 8/10/2018

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »
My long term memory is in good shape, but when it comes to short term I cant remember a darn thing, I'm writing in a jornal now so I can share with you guys my LTL experinces, I must say nothing exciting happens, and it will proble be posted when I run out of stories.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
why is that doug?

Probably the same reason i don't go past Texas. - Can't be home for the Weekend 8-)

It's really an inside joke.

When I began working here where I am now, I worked with a highly experienced driver who only wanted to do nothing but Brampton/Kingston switches - 170 miles down and 170 miles back.

So, any time he was asked to run a little further, such as Cardinal Ontario or, Heaven Forbid! Cornwall Ontario, he would always comment....

"No, my license runs out at Exit 611."

So in my own case, other than trying to get out to Oregon for Nate's book signing, the furthest west in the U.S. that I've been is Madison Wisconsin.
But any further north, well, it runs out at Bancroft Wisonsin.
Right-wing Old School.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
My long term memory is in good shape, but when it comes to short term I cant remember a darn thing, I'm writing in a jornal now so I can share with you guys my LTL experinces, I must say nothing exciting happens, and it will proble be posted when I run out of stories.

So, what you're saying Nate is that like alot of us, you're suffering from C.R.S.

Can't Remember S .....
Right-wing Old School.

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »
You bet I am, I can remember that im suffereing from it, but I cant remember why im suffering from it, if there's a way I can blame 318's or COE's you bet I would.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 06:32:22 PM »
Ryan, what ever is destined for your future, I wish you many good luck's, I was faced with limited oppertunities when I graduated from high school, my family was not well off, we lived comfortably, but that was about it, we didn't go on any vacations, we were slaves to the ranch, I had started my pilot's training when I was 17, but trucks soon took over my priorities on my career choice list. I will give you some advice that I wish my dad had given me, go to college, get a degree in something while you are waiting to turn 21, then if truck driving is still on your priorities list, then atleast you have something to fall back on if trucking dosn't work out for you.

Thanks, but it'll be hard for me to do that at this point... kinda hard for me to admit (lil' embarrassed). I've let my grades slip down... one teacher called me her "favorite barely-adequate achiever". I've never FAILED a class, but I've come close because I let other things get above them in priorities. Also, I choose to work a limited schedule... if I wanted it bad enough, Smith's would hire me back on as a bagger in a heartbeat. Because of this, I have little money saved (besides what I've inherited from grandparents which is staying put so I have some money for retirement). So, no scholarships, no money and only six short months to gain them. Well, I'm not too worried about a career plan outside of trucking because I've seen how it's done and I've heard many stories and learned a LOT about trucking ever since I could read. I'm certain that it's what I want to do. The main problem is just deciding whether I want to do local work forever or if I want to follow my dream and go over-the-road.
I really do appreciate it.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 03:04:40 AM »
Right on Nate, I'm loving it!

Good story Nate, anticipating the arrival part two.
Brought back a lot of memories and gave me that warm tingly feeling all over that you get on that first trip.
Now I have something to look forward to on weekends to read with my morning coffee.
Can't say any more, have to go wipe the tears of joy from my eyes.

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 07:18:21 AM »
Thanks Wee Willy, means a lot coming from you, im working on it as we speak, I have a cousin that is graduating from high school today, so I have to take a break and go to that, but I will begin work on it again tonite.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
The main problem is just deciding whether I want to do local work forever or if I want to follow my dream and go over-the-road.

I would say follow your dream, at least then you won't regret all your life not doing it... If this has been a strong lifelong dream of yours, you owe it to yourselves to at least give it a try, I think. Just my two cents... I'm in the philosophical corner today. ;)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 04:25:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice... maybe you're right.
Well, I should stop trying to highjack Nate's thread, if anyone has anything to add, shoot me a PM. :wink:
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 05:10:24 AM »
Great first story, 

free beer

X2 & I'll be there.  8-)

1953 kw bullnose

• Thats right!
    • My truck show pics.
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »
I've seen how it's done and I've heard many stories and learned a LOT about trucking ever since I could read. I'm certain that it's what I want to do. The main problem is just deciding whether I want to do local work forever or if I want to follow my dream and go over-the-road.
Man i here ya there!!!! I want to do over the road. see more of the country.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »