If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: What kind of truck do you drive?  (Read 70372 times)

Mike Malone

Re: What kind of truck do you drive?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »

After 1 week with this 500 14-litre Detroit it feels pretty strong but the biggest noticeable thing is that with the electronic "Lightning" transmission your foot needs to be on the throttle against the EGR "air pump" all of the time.

I was under the impresson that Detroit cleaned up most of their troubles with the 14 litre EGR engine by droppng the AiResearch turbo and going with the Holset.

Average fuel economy has been 6.5 Imperial with most payloads around 35,000 pounds and pretty crummy weather. Strong headwinds on Friday cut most of the economy back to 5.7 but tailwnd on the way home improved it greatly.

I haven't any problem accepting that it won't get the 8/9 MPG Imperial that the old 12.7 430 managed.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »

Hammer Time

• Global Moderator
  • Technical Advisor
    • Owner Operators Connect
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »
HAMMERTIME hows it feel to drive a CLASSIC? :-D the GENERAL was a nice truck it its time.

I don't mind it, she's not such a bad old (soon to be classic) truck. I kept hearing that it was a real nice truck in its day, but I didn't believe it till I picked this brochure ?up off ebay a couple months ago. I usually have the choice between T-6 , a 1986 Freightliner FL or The General, and lately I'll always grab The General. Like Jim said - There always seems to be a Fruitliner in the yard, so I might as well use something that has a bit of uniqueness to it. :-D I see you have a few pieces of equipment listed in the trader this week Jim, including your General . That 1951 GMC caught my attention, I didn't know you had one of those....neat looking truck!!!! Do you have any history on it? :-D :-D

?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 08:50:05 PM by Hammer Time »

CAN MAN

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 05:57:32 AM »
ZAVITZ Brothers had a few GMC Generals , I had a picture of 1 after the decals were changed to ZAVITZ TRANSPORT INTERNATIONAL . I have looked HI / LO for my pictures but they must of got chucked out over the years.

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 12:05:18 PM »
ZAVITZ Brothers had a few GMC Generals

Do you think this is an owner-operator or a company truck (doesn't appear to be Zavitz colors).

CAN MAN

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 12:39:54 PM »
Paul
Owner operator , the few GMC GENERAL company trucks at the end were white , 48" flat top bunks with single stack  company trucks were never flashy , there were some O/O's that had W900's in the late 80's that looked like upgraded company type trucks 60" flat tops single stack Alum front / steel rear  different paint  1 of each  Black , White  and  Blue
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:44:16 PM by Can Man »

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2005, 07:13:35 PM »
I had a picture of 1 after the decals were changed to ZAVITZ TRANSPORT INTERNATIONAL

I once worked on a jobsite where the marble was shipped from overseas via container, then brought down from Canada by Zavitz. Some of the trucks had the old red and white circle, while the others looked like a bumper sticker, with Zavitz in black with a red maple leaf on one end and a red star on the other. Would the latter be the Zavitz Transport International logo?
Jim

CAN MAN

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »
Yes the BUMPER STICKER decal ( never heard it called that but it sure looked like 1 ) was the logo after the AUSIE took over. there was a few O/O with the old decals and they taped over the BOTHERS TRANSPORT portion

CowCruzer

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
I drive this new T800.? Has a 475 Acert Cat in it with a 15 speed tranny.? I have about 15,000 miles on it and so far no complaints on the motor.

rikkis359

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »
I own and operate my '84 359, flat top walk in, extended hood, window in the back, 400 Cummings with a 13 speed. I parked it a few months ago when the fuel got so high and work slowed down and I couldn't keep up with the up keep.  I'll get it going again soon.  I won't sell him for all the tea in China.  I still have the first truck I bought in Feb of '85, my short hood  73 KW (my first baby).  My husband passed away and I have our short hood 71 KW and our truck from haites-the cab over Pete that broke us.  ha 

CAN MAN

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »
I had a 1988 379 425 Cat 13 speed , 280" wheelbase 60" flat top with less than 300,000 Miles on it when I bought it in 1994. Truck had been stored during the winters , no one had ever slept in the bunk still had the plastic on the floor and mattress. :-D

Sure wish I had kept? :-(  today I have 2 MACKS and an INTERNATIONAL
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 07:52:45 AM by Can Man »

Hammer Time

• Global Moderator
  • Technical Advisor
    • Owner Operators Connect
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »
I had a 1988 379 425 Cat 13 speed , 280" wheelbase 60" flat top with less than 300,000 Miles on it when I bought it in 1994. Truck had been stored during the winters , no one had ever slept in the bunk still had the plastic on the floor and mattress. :-D

Sure wish I had kept? :-(

Who was it on with before you got it Can Man?  :-D

CAN MAN

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
It was privately owned by a POOR FARMER? :lol: who barely used it to haul some grain , hay for his farm it was his play toy , parked indoors rcte. He had a few other trucks as well , I bought it at his BANKRUPTCY auction.? ?I put a driver in it and ran local by the hour$ hauling flatbed for awhile, sold it and it went up North , guy who bought it jack knifed it and the insurance sold it to someone out west.

I have some pictures of it will have to scan them.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 07:10:28 AM »
I drive a 21 speed GT mountain bike. :| My dad drives one of those UGLY new Opus shorty buses. :| again
I have an uncle-in-law that drives a 2003 Freightliner Coronado Midroof with a big Detroit and a 13 speed Fuller. :-D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 07:12:02 AM by peterbilttrucker »
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Carl Stevens

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 06:33:22 PM »
i drive a freightliner classic with a condo sleeper,detroit [love that fuel economy]fifteen over with three nineties on twenty two inch rubber,gets the job done for where i run[u.s tandem flatbed]

steve61

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 08:41:36 PM »
I own and operate a '94 International cabover with a 12.7L 365/425 Series 60 Detroit.It has 3.91 rear ends and a 9 speed OD Rockwell transmission.
 I haul containers in and out of Charleston,S.C.
 It was a Little Debbie truck before I bought it.I like to say it didn't know what work was 'til I got it.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 08:41:36 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs