If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: New LTL Equipment Sightings  (Read 396425 times)

wbache

Re: New LTL Equipment Sightings
« Reply #930 on: February 21, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

Shot from a moving tour bus on 1-25-2011 --both eastbound on I 40 between Ludlow and Needles CA--I can't find the post but in reference to single tire con gears at least the top shot of these sets appears to have one.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #930 on: February 21, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #931 on: February 27, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
Walt,

The con-gears are an interesting debate in the LTL world. I believe Idaho still has the ban on them in triples operations. AFAIK ODFL and FXF are the only large profile LTLers using them.

I am still impressed that ODFL spec'd the Cascadias the way they did. Visors and dual convex mirrors.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

roogie

• Use your head, wear a helmet.
« Reply #932 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
Walt,

The con-gears are an interesting debate in the LTL world. I believe Idaho still has the ban on them in triples operations. AFAIK ODFL and FXF are the only large profile LTLers using them.

I am still impressed that ODFL spec'd the Cascadias the way they did. Visors and dual convex mirrors.

Eventually they will be all gone from FXF, when they are being PM'd or when they finally just wear down all the Super Single gears are getting regular dual tire setups again.  Many of our gears have already been changed back.

roog

Chris_E

« Reply #933 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Walt,

And those Cascadia's look damn good that way! ;D

FedEx Ground runs a good bit of super single gears as well.  They look out of place with aluminum rims, though.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #934 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
Walt,

Eventually they will be all gone from FXF, when they are being PM'd or when they finally just wear down all the Super Single gears are getting regular dual tire setups again.  Many of our gears have already been changed back.

roog

Interesting Roog, do you know if the tractor tests have persuaded them for or against buying anymore SS tractors?

Big L

« Reply #935 on: March 03, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »
Finally, after two years of no new purchases, the word is out KC is to receive THREE new test road tractors and ONE new test straight truck to evaluate. Following the evaluation period, word is a purchase of 400 tractors later this year.  Currently, a contract has been renewed with Westfall GMC/Volvo to do engine swaps/rebuilds on several hundred Volvos.  Also, a program is being continued at Trailer Sales, Inc to rebuild selected pups with Deck Tracking, doors, brakes, touch up, along with holes being repaired.

james j neiweem

« Reply #936 on: March 04, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
What make of test tractors? :)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #937 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
Big L

You saved me a post. ;D I was planning on asking if and when YRC gets new tractors what do you think they'll be? ??? Glad to hear the news - now just tell us what makes the test tractors are......please. :)

Big L

« Reply #938 on: March 04, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
If I was to guess, I'm sure Volvo's will be included.  Yellow has purchased from Westfall GMC/ Volvo for many, many years. In fact, YRC purchases all of their Volvo replacement parts nationwide from Westfall, which we pickup daily and move them deadhead on our trucks. Roadway has primarily purchased Volvo for many years as well.  I've been told YRC is not happy with the Volvo engine they were forced to buy, after the Detroit Series 60 would not meet emission standards and became unavailable. Westfall also owns the Mack dealership in KC, and the Freightliner dealership as well.

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #939 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
I would guess out of these:

Volvo VNL300 daycab
International ProStar daycab
Freightliner Cascadia daycab.

The new main LTL trucks.

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #940 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
Wasn't Peterbilt trying to break into this market with a new day cab IIRC? ??? At the time the consensus was the tractor was too pricey for this field so maybe that was correct. :-\ The KW T660 would be a surprise for YRC but maybe they'll be bold and follow Fedex. :D

LoneStar

• The Con-way Guy
    • Photobucket Album
« Reply #941 on: March 04, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
Ya, Peterbilt was going to do an "LTL friendly" model, the 382 I believe.

But I'm not sure if it went through. As far as I know, FedEx only has a few T660 trucks because of their deal with KW when they were getting the T800 daycabs.

Mack is jumping in with their Pinnacle daycab, so they might be a choice as well.

Thanks to roogie for the Photo!

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #942 on: March 05, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Since both Yellow and Roadway ran Sterlings, the Cascadia would probably be a fairly likely choice. I know that they've been selling off a LOT of Sterlings though. :-\

Updated 8/10/2018

Jimmy B

« Reply #943 on: March 05, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
Although it's old equipment, it's new to the area. FedEx Freight here in town received a couple of red, former AF, FL 70s. Saw them piggy backed into town, then a couple of days later saw one in action with a pup. Sorry no pictures yet.

Jimmy b

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #944 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
Although it's old equipment, it's new to the area. FedEx Freight here in town received a couple of red, former AF, FL 70s. Saw them piggy backed into town, then a couple of days later saw one in action with a pup. Sorry no pictures yet.

Jimmy b

They have been doing a lot of swapping around out here Jim. Eugene got several ProStars, and sent out a bunch of T800's. The FXF guys say they are heading east. Guess the guys out here will miss their "big motors."  :D

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #944 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs