If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: New LTL Equipment Sightings  (Read 399269 times)

Ray F

Re: New LTL Equipment Sightings
« Reply #525 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Yesterday I delivered to the Saia barn down on Swan Island here in Portland, OR.  They had 4 brand new Volvos tucked away in the back corner of the lot.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/avsfan118/Hanks%20Forum%20Post%20Pics/IMG_4334.jpg
Must be doing what NEMF does, From what i hear  :wink: :wink: Keeping the new trucks tucked away until they are needed  :-D :-D

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #525 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »

roogie

• Use your head, wear a helmet.
« Reply #526 on: December 21, 2008, 02:07:43 AM »
We just got in 8 new Volvo VNLs this week at FedEx Freight, these have a few new options for us like a sliding 5th wheel.

roog

Chad

« Reply #527 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Here is one of the new Columbia's. Same truck as before from what I can tell the driver hates it. His buddy told me they took his brand new T800 and gave him this. I would be upset too but it is still a nice solid truck is it me or does the air shield look to be a little different than say the OD columbia's. Sorry cell phone pic.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:48:56 AM by Chad »

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #528 on: December 21, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »
Here is one of the new Columbia's. Same truck as before from what I can tell the driver hates it. His buddy told me they took his brand new T800 and gave him this. I would be upset too but it is still a nice solid truck is it me or does the air shield look to be a little different than say the OD columbia's. Sorry cell phone pic.
I was thinking the same thing before I read your post.  They look like they have the ugly fairings that the older FedEx Express Centuries and ex-AF FL80 tractors have.

Updated 8/10/2018

Mike C

• Resident J.B. Hunt Intermodal Driver, Portland, OR
    • My Flickr Photo Gallery
« Reply #529 on: December 21, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »
I was thinking the same thing before I read your post.  They look like they have the ugly fairings that the older FedEx Express Centuries and ex-AF FL80 tractors have.

Safeway's Columbia daycabs have that same air fairing.

Jason D.

« Reply #530 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Yeah, that fairing does look kind of odd.

Oh, and my condolences to the driver who lost his KW. I know it must be hard for him. I wouldn't know what to do if I got demoted like that.

Chad

« Reply #531 on: December 21, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »
Well, I know from experience with the older model T800's and the red VNM's and the new VNL's that preference would be the T800, VNM, then the VNL. The new Volvos shake violently when following another truck. The older VNM it seems to me has a better ride and not as shaky when following another truck. The T800 is just a work horse I think it handles a set the best of all and the new T8's with the larger cab make it that much better. The driver's buddy said the Columbia was some where in between the T8 and the VNM. I have only ever pulled a set with the above mentioned trucks so just my comparison maybe Roogie can give us his 2 cents. Greg I think you nailed it on the faring I knew it looked familiar but couldn't put my finger

Jason D.

« Reply #532 on: December 21, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
I've never been in a T800, but I have been in a T450. That was a good truck, and the Columbia sure as heck isn't. I'd be really mad if I got thrown into a Craplumbia.

The Joe

• Regular Membership
  • Global non-Moderator
« Reply #533 on: December 22, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »
The roof fairing on the columbia is made by an outside vendor. It is the same vendor who produces the trailer skirts, that were populare on Con-way truckload trailers...

As for those new Volvo's at Saia. The are being in processes, meaning they are having the equipment that is not connected installed, ie: drive shafts, Vorad, roof fairing... The other delay is all the liscensing and permiting that has to be done. Being Portland trucks, they should recieve their triples permits, something that seems to take time as some 2008's still don't have them... yet...  Mike, did you see the 09's I caught in Dallas?

davef

« Reply #534 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
I don't think there is a driver here that would turn down a brand new tractor (Columbia or not) and a Columbia is better than some of the stuff we drove over the years!  Bet it's more comfortable than a Transtar II COE!

Jason D.

« Reply #535 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
I'd actually love to get the chance to drive a Transtar. :-D

Chris_E

« Reply #536 on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »
The roof fairing on the columbia is made by an outside vendor. It is the same vendor who produces the trailer skirts, that were populare on Con-way truckload trailers...

I thought I saw them elsewhere.  If you go on the main site, look for pictures of GMC Brigadiers, and you will see similar types of air fairings.  It looks like they changed their style a bit though, but these fairings are much taller than a Freightliner's fairing.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

truknut02

« Reply #537 on: December 23, 2008, 04:44:26 AM »
Coming to work today I saw a UPS Freight Sterling  :?  sorry roads were way to bad to get a picture.  8-)

Ray F

« Reply #538 on: December 23, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »
Pretty doubtful, might have been an 8100 with the reman hood that makes it look half Sterling-ish.
:? :? :? NATE have you been hitting the Egg-nog  :evil: :evil: :evil: j/k Were could i find pics of an 8100 with a Reman Hood that makes it look sterling-ish  :? :?

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #539 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Ew, it does look like a Sterling!  That's one strange looking truck Nate, I've seen it before but I didn't remember the different grille.

Updated 8/10/2018

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #539 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs