If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: New LTL Equipment Sightings  (Read 386429 times)

Chase

Re: New LTL Equipment Sightings
« Reply #480 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »
that was all dad drove from 94 till 01 was flds. everything about them was better. the dash was easy to reach. nothing squeaked or rattled. just well built trucks

the storage space in a fld is the exact same lay out as the century except older looking :roll:

i actually think there is less storage space in a columbia than a fld

hell, in a columbia or century, with the seat belt on, you cant even lean over to change a radio station :|

the fld's dash was laid out better, you could see everything more clearly and didnt have to lean over to set the parking brake or change radio stations

every single columbia we've had has had nothing but problems. all 5 of them have been junk. this 09 has 80k something miles and ive lost count at the number of times we've had it in the shop.

ive never liked anything about a valvo

a daycab is a world of difference from a truck with a sleeper

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #480 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

JOSH403

« Reply #481 on: November 28, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »
Any of the FLD daycabs we have left over are garbage and everyone runs (or crying) in fear if they're stuck driving one for the day. Not my personal fav. of a truck.

Cobra13

« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:35 AM »
Columbia's have to be the worst thing they've ever come out with. They are the cheapest, crappiest trucks I've ever been in. Zero storage space, the fridge is loose in it, it shakes, rattles, squeaks, and you can tell they spared every expense they could with them (mind you I'm talking about a NICELY spec'd one). The FLD's I've been in were great trucks, minimal problems, and they got the job done. In my opinion, that was the last good Freightliner. I'd take an FLD over a Columbia or Century, as long as the FLD isn't beat to hell. You can still find newer FLD's out there that are in really good shape, and cheap.

Mike C

• Resident J.B. Hunt Intermodal Driver, Portland, OR
    • My Flickr Photo Gallery
« Reply #483 on: November 28, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
that was all dad drove from 94 till 01 was flds. everything about them was better. the dash was easy to reach. nothing squeaked or rattled. just well built trucks

the storage space in a fld is the exact same lay out as the century except older looking :roll:

i actually think there is less storage space in a columbia than a fld

hell, in a columbia or century, with the seat belt on, you cant even lean over to change a radio station :|

the fld's dash was laid out better, you could see everything more clearly and didnt have to lean over to set the parking brake or change radio stations

every single columbia we've had has had nothing but problems. all 5 of them have been junk. this 09 has 80k something miles and ive lost count at the number of times we've had it in the shop.

ive never liked anything about a valvo

a daycab is a world of difference from a truck with a sleeper

Intersting POV.  My century daycab has more storage compartments than my old Gordon FLD(above dash, and bellow the dash).  As for leaning for the radio, and to set brakes i have really never noticed that, but i can see it maybe beeing annoying for lazy truck drivers out there.  I could never stand the dash of my FLD,  It was just nasty and very "dated".  Also I have never heard of a freightliner not having any "Squeeks or ratlles"  That truck must have been a one of a kind :wink:.   Different strokes for different folks I guess :-D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:35:35 PM by Avsfan118 »

Chase

« Reply #484 on: November 28, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »
wow man if you got a shaker with no squeaks or rattles you must be very lucky :mrgreen:

Columbia's have to be the worst thing they've ever come out with. They are the cheapest, crappiest trucks I've ever been in. Zero storage space, the fridge is loose in it, it shakes, rattles, squeaks, and you can tell they spared every expense they could with them (mind you I'm talking about a NICELY spec'd one). The FLD's I've been in were great trucks, minimal problems, and they got the job done. In my opinion, that was the last good Freightliner. I'd take an FLD over a Columbia or Century, as long as the FLD isn't beat to hell. You can still find newer FLD's out there that are in really good shape, and cheap.

well said :-D

davef

« Reply #485 on: November 28, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I'd have to say that the FLDs are really the better truck (over the Columbia) but after a million miles who wouldn't want to drive a new Volvo (or any new truck for that matter) even if it meant giving up some HP.

Cobra13

« Reply #486 on: November 29, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »
I'd have to say that the FLDs are really the better truck (over the Columbia) but after a million miles who wouldn't want to drive a new Volvo (or any new truck for that matter) even if it meant giving up some HP.

Yeah, when Volvo comes into the equation, that one wins over any Freightliner. :-D

Chase

« Reply #487 on: November 29, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
if i was buying a truck, itd be a pete or kw, no questions

another thing i cant stand about the centurys and columbias is that they dont have a dome light on the bottom bunk like the flds did.
AND, i hate how the dome light on the roof is behind the curtain with the switch on the dash, if you have that light on and close the curtains and forget to cut it off, you gotta get back up, open up the curtains and turn it off

Mike C

« Reply #488 on: November 29, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
if i was buying a truck, itd be a pete or kw, no questions

another thing i cant stand about the centurys and columbias is that they dont have a dome light on the bottom bunk like the flds did.
AND, i hate how the dome light on the roof is behind the curtain with the switch on the dash, if you have that light on and close the curtains and forget to cut it off, you gotta get back up, open up the curtains and turn it off

Ok I thought we were talking about daycabs in general.  Every Century sleeper i have had the dome switch on both the dash and in the bunk. 

"if i was buying a truck, itd be a pete or kw, no questions" 
Considering your only 20 thats a bit of a statement.  You might change your mind once you get out on the road and see a Freightliner/volvo back into a tight dock, and unload while 30 minutes later the Pete/KW as still trying to get backed into the tight dock :roll: 

Chase

« Reply #489 on: November 29, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
well in every columbia ive been in, they've only had the dash switch

well your only 24..... :roll:

i might be 20 years old, but ive been around the block a time or 2. i learned how to drive a truck when i was in 3rd grade and been driving on the road since i was 14.  not claiming to know it all, but i know more than the average driver. ive been around trucking and riding since before i can remember.and from looking at your myspace, you've only been driving maybe 3 years?

yea you do go into alot of tight places driving a truck. and you are also in alot of places that arent, its all in what you do and where you go

of course schneider isnt going to buy classics or 379's, most of their drivers cant even handle a century :roll:

ive seen alot of dudes in freightliners and valvos take 30 minutes to back into a wide open parking spot at a truck stop...its not the truck, its the driver. if you dont know what your doing, your going to look like a jack ass no matter what kind of truck your driving. look at dwayne, running nyc and all kinds of odd ball mom and pop places with a 379 and he doesnt have a problem. a 250-260 wheelbase is not that bad. it might take you a few extra minutes at the most to get in a tight spot but to me its WELL worth it not to be in a freightliner. if you have ever driven a pete, you would know how much better of a truck it is than a shaker. freightliners arent nothing but cheap plastic. mechanics at ozark have told us the only reason they buy them is becuase there cheap and dont cost much to fix. if your going to buy a good truck, that was built right and is going to last, pete and kw are the only 2. freightliners are nothing but cheap fleet trucks plain and simple

and 379s and w900s are not the only trucks they build either. you can get a t600 with a 230 wheelbase, same thing as a freightliner. i never specified what kind of pete or kw, all i said was a brand. and if ur really gun ho about fuel mileage and tight backing, get a 379 with 48' sleeper and a 240 something wheelbase.

peterbilt and kenworth make a better trucks hands down.

Mike C

« Reply #490 on: November 29, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
Chase. I said that becuse this is the LTL board for one, and also most people under 21 that havent driven OTR yet always think that Petes and KW are the way to no matter what the application is Local or OTR.   I did not know your history as you are new here so Im not trying bash you.  As for the half SNI drivers not beeing able to handle there Centurys, thats a sad fact and can be said for just about every company out there these days.  Yes I have driven a Pete, They are great trucks and ride very nice.  Freightliners ,Volvos, and Internationals are cheap fleet trucks that cost alot less than the Paccar lineup.

"well in every columbia ive been in, they've only had the dash switch"
Did it have any of the contols(Radio volume, Temperature control, reading lamp) In the bunk??  Thats pretty dumb to not have a switch in the bunk for dome light.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:34:54 PM by Avsfan118 »

Chase

« Reply #491 on: November 29, 2008, 06:03:14 PM »
it has all those switches and a switch for the dome light over the top bunk but nothing for the one in the center of the truck other than the dash...i really wonder what freightliner was thinking...lol

i apologize if i came off as being a cracker head. i wasnt trying to bash you or your opinions

you are right this is the ltl board so day cabs should have been what was talked about lol, but i figured it was just trucks over all

and you are right about people that are under 21 or never driven a truck assume that a 379 or w9 or whatever with a 350' wheelbase are the only trucks to drive.

i take that back, its not just sni, your right, its every fleet on the road that most guys cant even handle a century and thats just sad.

Mike C

« Reply #492 on: November 29, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »
it has all those switches and a switch for the dome light over the top bunk but nothing for the one in the center of the truck other than the dash...i really wonder what freightliner was thinking...lol

i apologize if i came off as being a cracker head. i wasnt trying to bash you or your opinions

you are right this is the ltl board so day cabs should have been what was talked about lol, but i figured it was just trucks over all

and you are right about people that are under 21 or never driven a truck assume that a 379 or w9 or whatever with a 350' wheelbase are the only trucks to drive.

i take that back, its not just sni, your right, its every fleet on the road that most guys cant even handle a century and thats just sad.

Its all good man, I think were ont eh same page now. lol.  When i ran a Century condo Sleeper the bottom bunk had a switch for both the top bunk dome light and the main domelight.   

Chase

« Reply #493 on: November 29, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
hmmmm....i wonder why every one ive seen is different...

must have been another option they didnt wanna buy :lol:

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
« Reply #494 on: November 30, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
This is LTL New Equipment Sightings, not Pete VS. Freightliner, however, I must stir the pot.

I have owned a Pete, great truck, did everything I wanted it too do, short wheel based tractor, I pulled flats, chip vans, and Trains with it, it was a 359, and I enjoyed the truck, solid truck, at the time we did not have a Pete dealer within 110 miles of where I lived, and the only guy that worked on them was charging around 70 bucks an hour, this was the late 80's mind you.

I sold the truck and went back to company work before having a short stent with a KW A model, the motor in that was a gutless wonder, should have guessed it, Cat motor. :roll: So I went to a Freightliner, it was the early model FL, 1989, with a Detroit.

All these trucks were great trucks, but after the environmental groups all but shut down logging in the PNW, the wood industry was no longer for me, so I sold out, and relocated to the city to work LTL. I started driving 9100 IH's, and for a fleet tractor, it was one of the best trucks I had driven, 470 hp Detroit was unheard of in LTL, with power like that, you could walk triples right up and over the mountains on I-5.

Until 2004 I was with everyone else, I hated those damn Volvo's, I had never driven one, and I NEVER wanted to drive one, but one night, my tractor went in for regular service, and the only tractor on the lot, was a brand spankin new Volvo, i snatched the keys, and moved my stuff, not very happily mind you.

Fired it up, noticed right off the bat that is was quieter than my 2003 Dodge Cummins pickup, then got adjusted in the seat, hmm, comfy, the second I started thinking that I hit myself in the face and said NO, its a Volvo. Got down the road a ways, and hit 45, normally between 45-65 is the loudest part of a 9100, but the Volvo seemed to get quieter yet, sounded just as quiet as my pickup running down the freeway.

My destination was Herminston, Mike and Dave know that sections of 84 are sometimes not too pleasant, and windy. Tonight I had triples grossing just under 100k. My IH had the awkward deflector, but the Volvo just cut through the wind like a bullet, it was a head wind, so I figured fuel mileage will be zilch after this, but when the trip was said and done, I managed to get just over 7.2 mpg, which is remarkable really for any tractor pulling 100k. My IH would have gotten under 5 with a stiff headwind.

After that trip, I was a changed person, I was the typical Pete loving truck driver, turned into a Volvo lover, I couldn't believe the words coming out of my thinker. Willy would shoot me right now if he knew I was saying this stuff.

A few years later, end of 07 to be exact, I was driving happily in a 1997 9670 daycab IH COE, she had a turned up motor purring at 465 hp, and nobody in the yard liked to drive COE's, so I didn't have to slipseat with anyone. 08 Tractors were brought into the yard, and unfortunately, my tractor and the sleeper COE were set for auction, and replaced by two VNL's. We were up for rebids anyways, so I had enough seniority to have any of 8 tractors, I happily took a Volvo, and even though the company didn't purchase Jakes, it is by far the best tractor I have ever driven. I have a bad back, and I have always hurt when I get out of a 14 hour day, but the Volvo makes me feel comfortable from hour one to hour 14.

I'm not trying to change anyone opinion on Volvo's, but as a company driver, it is the only truck, if optioned correctly, that I would want to drive.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #494 on: November 30, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs