If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: European trucks: Better or worse........  (Read 37089 times)

Jan Rosecky

Re: European trucks: Better or worse........
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »
European trucks, better or worse? I'd just say: different!

I come from europe but I have some friends and have talked to many guys driving US trucks here. We have Freightliner FLBs, various kinds of large Volvo VNs, some conventional Freightliners and Kenworths..

I have personally driven a '95 Freightliner FLB sith DD series 60 365 HP engine and eaton fuller 8 speed box... and also some euro trucks like 2003 Scania Topline 470 HP, Iveco Stralis, Skoda Xena...etc. etc.

You cant compare something that should not be compared... You can have ugly plastc Scania but also some superb Scania full of stainless steel and leather... You can have something similar with any US truck... Someone prefers old classics, someone likes the new (ugly) volvo... its up on anybodys taste but what should be said is the fact that all the trucks are designed for work thats completely different here in europe... and many many things are caused by law... thats why we have short trucks.."small" cabs...etc. etc. Of course...US trucks are working here as well as the Euro trucks could work in the US...BUT... as the W900 Kenny with large sleeper is too big for some operations here...some fine Scania would be to small to be used as a long distance tractor in the US..

I tend to say: do not compare that... its a different world and every has its own + and - ....

Keep trucking

Jan

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »

Daniel

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
WELL PUT Jan  :-)    here in Aussie we have the best of both, as there are just as much Euro trucks as there are U.S branded trucks.  Personaly i like the U.S branded but Aussie made Kenworths, and the Freightliner Argosys too,  then there are the Euro styled Mack Magnums, and Iveco 4700's which i also like too.  8-)  Although i have never seen a Skoda or a KAMAZ or anything like that here in Aussie  :|   :-)

Jan Rosecky

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2006, 07:32:42 AM »
WELL PUT Jan  :-)    here in Aussie we have the best of both, as there are just as much Euro trucks as there are U.S branded trucks.  Personaly i like the U.S branded but Aussie made Kenworths, and the Freightliner Argosys too,  then there are the Euro styled Mack Magnums, and Iveco 4700's which i also like too.  8-)  Although i have never seen a Skoda or a KAMAZ or anything like that here in Aussie  :|   :-)

BUT!! Daniel...I think that some Tatra trucks are now exported in Australia...in some...crazy five axle configurations for a big drills or something...have you heard about them? I think they even have some website...!

Yep...thats what I envy you... you have mixture of almost all trucks produced...US, euro, japaneeese...and all of them are loaded with aluminium and pinstriping... which is...uuumm...delicious  :wink:

Maurizio

• Jesus is the way and the truth and the life.John14
    • http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m10/maurice273/AndersonWebb.jpg
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »
I think American trucks are great for America. but European trucks are more harder for other countrys like in South America. I seen whit my own eyes liveing in Bolivia. the hard work a Volvo has to go true. and that's all they have there. and no America truck could put up whit that. the American trucks are made just for America Good Roads. Nothing like I seen in Bolivia you have to make your own Roads. and whit a big load more then 80,000 like in the USA. I like the American made trucks it looks great and comfort,
MS

ThaddeusW

• Regular Membership
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 03:28:49 AM »
I think American trucks are great for America. but European trucks are more harder for other countrys like in South America. I seen whit my own eyes liveing in Bolivia. the hard work a Volvo has to go true. and that's all they have there. and no America truck could put up whit that. the American trucks are made just for America Good Roads. Nothing like I seen in Bolivia you have to make your own Roads. and whit a big load more then 80,000 like in the USA. I like the American made trucks it looks great and comfort,
MS

Meh... put a Mack down there. Show them trucks a trick or two  :wink:  :-D  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 03:30:35 AM by ThaddeusW »
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
|==ASCII Trucking =====|'|""";,____,
|__,,,_,,,__________====_____|....,]
***(@)'(@)*******#|(@)(@)*****(@)

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2006, 08:32:25 AM »
Meh... put a Mack down there. Show them trucks a trick or two :wink: :-D :lol:

Macks are quite popular in Chile, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Alan Drake

• Regular Membership
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2006, 08:40:01 AM »
Meh... put a Mack down there. Show them trucks a trick or two :wink: :-D :lol:

They might be up to it when VOLVO finishes improving them

israelitruckfan

• Ahhh, the power of Marmon...
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »
mostly euro trucks but theres the odd mack cuz they used to make them in ashdod or a  kenny ive even see a KENNY from nor way that musta drove to greece, hopped on the ferry to eygpt and driven in. id love ta talk to him
You should maybe find a hobby or a sport, spend sometime outside perhaps.
REDSOX!
Oh well, 18-1....

Santeri

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 10:26:06 AM »
Hier is too european trucks in action www.lkw-infos.eu

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
MS
Antonio's got it right, and what Volvo's got that makes it preform where there are no roads, as well as in the Andes where 6-10% grades go on forever, is a great hub reduction axle. It's up to 70,000 as a tandem (220,000 GCW), has planetary wheel ends, but has ratios as low as 3.6 to provide highway speeds. Hub reductions give 3:1 at the wheel ends which reduces torque in the axle shaft to a third and also increases traction a whole lot due to no wind-up in the axle shaft. It also comes with T-Ride suspension which lives when others dont, especially in the Middle east and S Africa where gross overloading is common.

The only U.S. axle in use that come close is the planetary Spicer (was Eaton) which is very popular in Colombia.  Mack's got a double reduction axle (not planetary) that begins to get strong with ratios over 5.73 but like the Spicer, all the reduction is in the middle so the axle shafts are subject to high torque.

The single reduction axles that go down to the Andes don't last very long.

CarpeViam

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2007, 02:56:58 PM »
MS

After seeing the testing som NA truck manufacturers require of their components,  I would hate to imagine how over built the European trucks that are "stronger" than the NA trucks.  I would agree that some NA trucks are built for On Highway use only, but there are a number that are built for more severe conditions (Oshkosh specializes in off road trucks).  Also, why add a lot of weight to a truck when you don't need it?  The lighter a truck is, the more payload it can carry.  If what is being hauled is limited by overall size and not weight (potato chips come to mind), a lighter truck equates to better fuel economy (assuming the engine and drive line has been speced correctly and similar aerodynamics).

European trucks and NA trucks are similar in as many ways as they are different.  Both are designed to meet the government regulations (and space confinements) for their area.  Thus, I would say the European trucks are better in europe and the NA trucks are better in NA. 

JPWest

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 06:14:44 AM »
Hai everyone.

Interesting topic.
I was thinking, maybe a short description/sketch of my personal situation will provide some extra insight for non-Europeans in the industry over here.

I'm a O/O  from Amsterdam the Netherlands and I drive a 2007 Volvo FH 440 hp 4x2 tractor with the large Globetrotter XL cab combined with a 3 axle semi curtain sider from Schmitz (German make, largest semitrailer producer of Europe). This configuration can be considered the standard in Europe, like the 6x4 + 2 axle semi-trailer in NA.
I Usually haul packing materials, paper, wood and canned foodstuff throughout the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. My trips typically take me one or two night from home, meaning I spend at least one night a week in my bed in my house. My workweek is five days, from monday to friday,  and I cover about 2800 to 3200 km per week. I get paid by the trip, not per km/mile.
Further more the truck is fitted with all the extra comfort and goodies: microwave,  fridge, extra storage room, automated gearbox, xenon lights, two bunks, climate control, electric seats, mobile Internet, etc,etc. (NO extra beams, I hate that)
The tractor costs about 85000 euro, the semi-trailer 26000. (ex VAT)

European legislation limits the overall length of the truck to 16,5 meters, the semi is 13,6 meters. Own weight is approx. 15 tons (with full tanks, 1100 liter) and the GVW is 46,5 tons (8 tons front axl + 11,5 tons drive axle +  27 tons trailer axles (3x9)). Mind you, this is theoretically. In everyday practice I usually load 25 to 28 tons depending to where my trip is taking me. For example: if I stay within the Netherlands I can load as much as 30 tons without breaking any laws. However, when going to Germany or France, where overall weights are limited to 40 tons - I can 'only' take in 25 tons.
These limitations are taken into account by dispatchers and customers when planning/ordering a load. In Germany and Belgium the customer is by law together with the carrier responsible for overloading. The fines for overloading are very high, especially in Germany!  Although I must admit that I have never experienced any problems in this area I have never been forced to load to much. (Will not accept it either)

Okay, the cab.
In comparison with the NA sleepers they're...uhh..quite small. It's already been said, this is mostly due to legislation. But I never experienced my cab to be that small. European truck manufacturers do wonders considering the available space. (Cab lengths are about 225cm)
The main bunk in my truck is 70 cm wide and I experience it as quite comfortable. If you're a really big (= overweight) man/woman than it might become a problem, but otherwise it's comfortable enough for my taste.
And if one is somewhat 'larger' than DAF or MAN provide trucks with wider bunks and more spacious cabs. Cause let it be said: Volvo isn't the most spacious truck in the marketplace.

A couple of years ago Scania introduced as a experiment the Longline. As far as I know it is still in production, however you have to specially order one.
. http://lkw-infos.net/images/lkw-hst/scania/longline/Scania-164-L-580-Longline-Graf-Uhlig-200405-01.jpg
http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11717272jx.jpg
(more pictures of  Scania's on www.v8power.nl)
Now that is a fine example on how a truck ought to be. I'm convinced that it would do just fine in the sometimes narrow European circumstances. However, the COE construction should have no problems taking care of that.

Hopefully this provides some extra insight on how life in the trucking industry is over here.

For tons of extra info check out this link: http://insider.trucknetuk.com/viewforum.php?f=5
It's written by a native English speaker, named Neil Hobbs. He is an o/o from the UK and has written a book about it. He also has some video's published on youtube.com.

Greetings,

JP

HC

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
Interesting post. How's O/O''s holding up in mid-Europe? I live in Finland and I hear all the time about low pays and increased expenses, espeacially on semi's.
Post a picture of your truck, I'd like to see that.

JPWest

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
@ HC, I don't have a picture of my truck at the moment. I will post one as soon as I have one.

Prices nowadays are rising, but we did have had a bad period behind us, especially due to the competition from cheap carriers from Eastern Europe. But that's more or less behind us.
Overall it's slowly getting better. The increasing shortage of drivers helps that. Hopefully it will keep getting better, price wise I mean.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs