If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: European trucks: Better or worse........  (Read 37034 times)

Alan Drake

• Regular Membership
European trucks: Better or worse........
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:57:01 AM »
Sadly Scania are ceasing production of the T cab model and I dont think Volvo has ever or had any intention of supplying its bonnetted cab in the UK. I think Magman can give the full details

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:57:01 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

MAGMAN

• Regular Membership
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 11:48:31 AM »
Bonjour M. Laplante de la belle province de Quebec. Yes, conventional Scania and Volvo units were, until recently available throughout most of Europe although as Alan says, the NH Volvo was never available in Britain. However some British operators imported them via Europe. There was some loop hole in the law that allowed them to be registered and homologated in Britain if they had first been registered in Europe. Crazy, but that's the way it worked. Anyway Volvo decided to stop importing and selling their NH and shortly afterwards Scania decided to stop production of their T-Line conventional.  So I guess it's over to KW, Mack and Peterbilt nowif you want a conventional in Europe!

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
Scania T Cab
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 08:00:15 PM »
Well it is sad that Scania cease production of the T cab. I have been reading european truck magazine for over 20 years, and I have always seen some kind of bonneted  model from Scania.  It was a low volume model but it was kind of unique , exclusive truck that  had an aura of prestige.

I am an outsider of the world of trucking. As an observer, I may be wrong, but I wonder if there is still a truck in North America  who stand out from the crowd . For a time  I was thinking that the Pete 379 was one of them but now, at least here in Quebec, there is so many of them that they are becoming a common truck.  What choice you have if you want an unique, exclusive truck ? A Mack Vision ? A F-Liner Argosy ?

953S

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
That's pretty interesting that a European manufacturer would produce a conventional. How did they compare to the COEs? (edit - Dumb question, already answered!)

I have not seen too many Visions or Argosy's here in WA state (I'm not on the freeway too often though, which could explain that). I imagine you'd see more Argosy's in Australia. Someone told me that trucks are somewhat regional; you'll see a good amount of KWs over here and over on the eastern US, you'll see Macks. It seems like it took over a year before I saw a Granite over here, and I have yet to see a VHD. It's probably only with vocational trucks since OTR trucks travel all over. I don't seem to see too many new Western Star trucks over here, but those are pretty low volume, aren't they?

Guido Wolfs

• Regular Membership
    • http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/guido_wolfs.htm
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 02:06:46 PM »
Hi folks,

First, I apologize that I haven't reply to this all. I guess some of you might know, but I'm a truckdriver, and I was "on tour", so I wasn't able to reply daily.

I'm quite surprised about all those replies! Good to see. Magman answered some of the questions already. Thank you for that, Magman!

Honestly I must say that Magman is right about comparing NA and Euro trucks with eachother. Lots of things are different between those continents. Regulations, distances, weathercircumstances, landscape, and more. But I'm very curious about it, because I know what most people say in Europe about NA trucks. That made me wonder how the North-American people think about the trucks here in Europe.
Maybe I made the questioning in a wrong way......A typical "not in English language thinking" error of a Dutch person........Can you all forgive me??????

DD. In the Netherlands we have 2 hauliers who transportate goods to Alma Ata, Mongolia, and China. The trucks with a Chinese destination are not allowed to pass the Chinese border, so they change their containerboxes with a Chinese haulier. Then they come back to the Netherlands.
In 1995 I spoke a British driver on a German truckstop who told me their company transportate goods from the UK to Hongkong. Hongkong was in those days part of the UK.

953S. When you take a look at my "www", you wil see some North-American trucks in Europe in my European truckpictures collection. Actually there quite some Pete's, Kenny's, and Freightliners movin around here. Most of them are in use as a showtruck, but more and more you can see them on the road in operational use, mostly by owner/operators. And Kenworth is selling tractors in Europe. As far as I now only one type, but I don't know the specification. But you can see that type on page 2 of my European truckpictures ( first red Kenworth ). Last week I drove into the port of Antwerp, and I saw at one of the containerterminals about 20 brand new Freightliner Century Class parked up near the fence.

Scania will stop with the production of the T series in September because they could not sell enough of these tractors.
Volvo stopped the European production of the NH Volvo because of the new frontbumper safetyregulations in Europe. Volvo needed to change so much on that bumper, that it wasn't worth to do that!

V8's are very popular, especially the Scania V8.....I guess you can't believe that some hauliers/ owner-operators buy them because of the sound these engines made.........And not because of the power..........

Before my vacation in Florida in September 1998 I was hardly interested in North-American trucks. After arriving on a Saturday-evening, I remember  seeing my first truck overthere in Miami-Beach. A classic Freightliner movin up to the I-95 on a Sunday-afternoon. My wife and I had a eight-day tour by car through the southern part of Florida, started that Monday and I was really impressed by these rigs on the highways and Interstates of Florida. After the eight-day tour, we had an eight-day vacation in Miami-Beach. I had the intention to use one day to pay a visit to some truckstops around Miami, but unfortunally hurricane Georges passed by and forced us to stay in Miami-Beach for two days.
However, during the tour we visited 2 truckstops in Venice and St-Lucie. We also visited a truckstop in Miami, but I had some trouble with my camera due to the high humidity overthere, so I couldn't make any pictures.

In the winter of 1999-2000 I found Hank's website. Since then I visite the website almost daily to enjoy the beautifull pictures of Hank and all his contributors.

Kind regards,

Guido.

Steve_WI

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
Alright I got some questions:

Why is it that alot of the European trucks I see, have numerous big spot lights on the cab above the windshield?  Than theres some like the truck in the picture that not only have these, but also have some between the headlights.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/guido_wolfs/2005/jun11/569bp-zn-40-1.jpg

I'm sorry to say it but I'd hate to be the oncoming motorist when I come upon one of those :shock:  Granted Im sure there only used in bad weather, but still thats alot of bright lights.

And finally in NA, we have refective tape on our trucks and trailers.  Just curious why Europe has not gone this route as well? :?
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

MAGMAN

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 11:22:37 PM »
Steve. The best answer to your question, Why all the lights? is ego. It's a bit like chicken lights in N/A, the more you have, the better you look. Actually there is very little opportunity to use them in most of Europe. Traffic density is so heavy there is not even much chance to use your main beam! But there are some areas where they come in handy, namely Sweden, Finland and Norway. There the roads are invariably narrow and hemmed in on both sides by tall trees. In winter at night, it's VERY dark and there is little traffic but LOTS of moose! So truckers use these 10-zillion candle power roof-mounted lights to light up the road a mile or two ahead. When you meet one coming towards you, you can be certain he will switch them off immediately otherwise you would be snow blind for a week afterwards!

Guido Wolfs

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 11:46:34 PM »
Hi Steve,

It is just for fun. The beamlights you see on most European trucks are allowed in most European countries. I believe only in France it is not allowed to use them. You can, and may only use them in combination with the standard beamlights, wich says in the law that you may only use them if you are not blinding other traffic on the road!

Seemes like, especially in the Netherlands, that truckers want more and more  beamlights on their trucks. The Scania you linked to is having for example 16 brightlights, 2 beamlights, and 4 foglights.

Scania is the only truckmark who's having standard 2 extra beamlights above the windshield. Driving a Scania by my own, these lights producing already a lot of extra light on the road, so I guess when that Scania in your link is turning on the main beamlights, the night is turning into a day.

Guido.

cliffjona

• Regular Membership
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 02:11:00 AM »
Steve-WI, I think alot of companies here do use reflective tape, mainly the larger ones, which brings me on to something else. Although i've never travelled on the roads of the US, i have driven up and down the 401 in Canada, (my wifes from London, Ontario) I think the standard of lighting on Canadian trucks is poor compared to European trucks, any comments on this gentlemen?
Dieseldog 101

Steve_WI

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 07:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Another set of questions.

In your opinion, whats the most desired truck in Europe?  And whats the least desirable?   Whats the O/O truck of choice and what is the fleet truck of choice?  Who's the biggest seller?  

And this isent a question about trucks themselves and probably should be put into a new topic all together, but how are drivers paid?  Per mile, hourly, salary, percentage?
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
See Guido's story on The Webite
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »
Quote from: Steve_WI

And this isent a question about trucks themselves and probably should be put into a new topic all together, but how are drivers paid?  Per mile, hourly, salary, percentage?

Guido wrote about the Hours of service and the tachograph.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/guido_wolfs_tachograph_hos.htm

From my reading at the Trucknet UK site; pay by the mile is rare in Europe. The hours and speed limits are tightly enforced.

Guido Wolfs

• Regular Membership
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 02:11:53 PM »
Hi Steve,

In the Netherlands Scania, Volvo, and DAF are the best selling marks right now. The most drivers are prefering Scania, because they believe this is the best mark in Europe. And it was for a long time. Personally I believe right now there's no good are bad mark anymore because all the manufacturors producing good trucks. Still, with a Scania you have the "best ego in town". Iveco will close the lines, because for a long time their trucks were horrible. But by introducing the new Stralis that's ok too I think.
In other European countries you will see that the German marks are doing well in the German-spoken countries, and Renault is the bestseller in France. In Scandinavia you see a lot of Scania's and Volvo's. And in Italy a lot of Iveco's.

Owner-operators in the Netherlands mostly prefering the large cabs like Scania Topline, DAF SuperSpaceCab, Volvo Globetrotter XL, Mercedes Megaspace, MAN TGA XXL or Renault Magnum. To bad for Iveco because they are selling only one standard cab, not popular by o/o's. A few o/o's are prefering American tractors, because of the look, and the bigger sleepercab. As long as they stay within the maximum length, that's ok.

The company I work for, Reijnders Transport, is having mostly Scania's, because Reijnders himself was a mechanic in a Scaniagarage for a long time. But he's owning 2 DAF's too right now. But he believe's that Scania is the best mark in Europe.

Comparing the living-standard in North-America and the Netherlands, the salary of the Dutch truckers is almost the same as in N/A. But we are paid per hour. A full day in my case means I drive about 500-600 kms per day, so if you put that in miles, I believe we earn more. But like I said, in N/A the lifestandard is cheaper than in the Netherlands so that's why it is about the same.

Guido.

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
European trucks
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 07:48:12 PM »
Want to see some european trucks in action

http://www.cadzowhh.co.uk/gallery.html

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 05:25:31 AM »
Quote from: Guido Wolfs
Hi Steve,

Comparing the living-standard in North-America and the Netherlands, the salary of the Dutch truckers is almost the same as in N/A. But we are paid per hour. A full day in my case means I drive about 500-600 kms per day, so if you put that in miles, I believe we earn more. But like I said, in N/A the lifestandard is cheaper than in the Netherlands so that's why it is about the same.

Guido.

A small mectric conversion table for Steve and others

100 KM = 62.5 miles
so 500-600 km per day is 320 to 375 miles per day.

I was reading a truckers journal at TRUCKNET.UK and see that there are many weekend driving restrictions. There are overtaking bans ( I think that means no passing) as well. There isn't the same  GET 'ER DONE attitude in Europe that there is here.
It would take much much longer to get across North America; stopping every 4.5 hours and rarely exceeding 80KPH (50 MPH). The conditions are different.

Guido Wolfs

• Regular Membership
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 01:29:34 PM »
Hi folks,

For overtaking bans , see page 7 at my European truckpictures collection.

At least I know for sure there are weekendrestrictions in Germany, France, Luxemburg. Even on bankholidays. This means that is is forbidden for trucks on all roads from 0:00 hrs till 22:00 hrs on Sunday in these countries!  Only reefertransport and hauliers with an ( expensive ) authorisation are allowed to drive that day!
In Germany it is even worse. During the summerholidayperiod ( July-August ) all trucks are not allowed on most German highways on Saturday. That means you can take the "touristic" route with your rig, and the holidaytourist may use the highway. Looks like the German goverment cares more about the tourist than the truckers................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I should drive from coast to coast in the US with my rig, according to the European HOS, I guess it takes at least 6 days to get there. Altough the speedlimit in most European countries is 80 kmh, the speedlimiter is limited at 89 kmh.

What do you mean with "get er done attitude" Rob??

Guido.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 01:29:34 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs