If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Three types of favorites  (Read 8028 times)

brbertram

Three types of favorites
« on: June 02, 2003, 05:57:56 PM »
(First off, thanks Hank for starting this as its own forum. I pretty much had screwed it up.)  :D

Favorite truck I ever drove: 1977 Freightliner with 1674 270 Cat and 13 speed Roadranger. The Cat was smooth as silk and pulled almost as well as the much heftier 1693 series (which could rip up mountains, but required finesse to keep from doing same to drivetrain).

Favorite historical truck: IHC's DCO "Emeryville," made from late 50s to 1965. More comfortable than one would think and just about the most distinctive COE ever made.

Favorite truck interior: 1966 KW COE. Massive metal dash, good visbility, perfect wheel and transmission layout, roomy cab, and just solid as could be. The later fiberglass KW COEs maintained the ergonomics, but lacked the solid feel.

Hank's Truck Forum

Three types of favorites
« on: June 02, 2003, 05:57:56 PM »

Road Boss

• Regular Membership
Three types of favorites
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 08:04:31 PM »
I really like the old COE trucks.  Too bad that you really don't see them anymore. :cry:

I really liked the International Transtar 2 4070 and the 9670.  I just love the look of the truck.

Petebilt (359/379)to me is the most American vehicle that you can ever get.  I love seeing them with longwheel base, lowered with shiny chrome.  I wish some day that I can have one.

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
Three types of favorites
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 10:53:12 PM »
Quote from: Road Boss
I really like the old COE trucks.  Too bad that you really don't see them anymore. :cry:

I really liked the International Transtar 2 4070 and the 9670.  I just love the look of the truck.

Petebilt (359/379)to me is the most American vehicle that you can ever get.  I love seeing them with longwheel base, lowered with shiny chrome.  I wish some day that I can have one.

I myself loved the older international Cabovers - I am would in on a international transter 2 model right now.  I also loved the old ford w9000 Cabovers
See you on down the road jack!!

Road Boss

• Regular Membership
Three types of favorites
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 12:57:45 AM »
Yeah, International made some good cab overs.  I like the DCOF 405 too!  They look good with a good makeover!

Steve_WI

Three types of favorites
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 08:21:50 AM »
I'd say, my all time favorite truck has got to be a Kenworth T800.  I pratically grew up watching these trucks.  The local company in town has them.  I like the look of them and in my opinion nothin says hard work and power than this truck.  A true workhorse in other words.  I really like them when they have a Aerocab flattop.  

My next favorite is a Kenworth W900L.  I love the looks of these trucks.  Also the sleepers and cab are more roomy.  Theres quite a few W900 here.  When it comes to sleepers, I really like the Aerocab Aerodyne or the Studio Aerocab.  

If I ever became a trucker, I would definatly want to drive a KW T800.  If I had the money, I'd buy one, or better yet buy a whole bunch of them and start my own little fleet.

As you can see, I like Kenworths.  I like all the Kenworth models, more than others, but as a whole I like them.

Steve
Dec. 23, 2008 The end of an era at GM Janesville.

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
Three types of favorites
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »
Quote from: Road Boss
Yeah, International made some good cab overs.  I like the DCOF 405 too!  They look good with a good makeover!

Doe forget the little tile cabovers they made - I want to say the cargo star but I could be wrong.  I may have to check my history on this one.  I just remember the number 1850 on the side next to the logo :?:
See you on down the road jack!!

Road Boss

• Regular Membership
Three types of favorites
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 12:36:49 PM »
I know what you are talking about.  Around where I grew up they mainly ran as garbage trucks.  You see a lot of them pulling tankers on the TV show "chips."

roadracer

Three types of favorites
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 05:49:04 AM »
Hallo to Everybody,
I'm an american truck enthusiast, and I found this site very interesting to make my knowledge of this field wider.....
I'm going to buy an old (COE or conventional) US truck to pull a motorcycle roadracing trailer across Italy (hope Europe) and I'm interested in truck like K100, Peterbilt COE, FLD or similar. I'm looking for a S/A tractor with sleeper and around 300hp engine, please could someone tell me what characteristics has this trucks (fuel economy, performance, durability..confort..) and how they runs after 20 years on the road?
I'll not drive it every day, but I'd like to have something that back me home without big trouble on the sunday evening.. :D  :D  :D  
It is possible find something good for less than 10k US$?

Thanks in advance for Your answer
P.S. but really US volvo are so bad? The european models aren't......

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
Three types of favorites
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 11:01:36 PM »
Road Boss wrote:

"Doe forget the little tile cabovers they made - I want to say the cargo star but I could be wrong. I may have to check my history on this one. I just remember the number 1850 on the side next to the logo "

They were called the Cargostar.  There were a few in these parts as trash trucks, and CF had them as P&D tractors and St. Johnsbury had them as straight trucks, but the vast majority of them around here were used carried van bodies and were used by private carriers.

There was also a larger and very rare version of the Cargostar, the COF5370, which was not sold under the Cargostar name, but used a Cargostar cab which had been widened in order to allow for a full doghouse in order to accomodate big-bore engines, usually Cummins N's.  They were designed primarily as a refuse chassis, but there was one locally set up as a heating oil truck, and Lentz Milling out of Reading, PA had a few with van bodies for delivering flour.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
Three Types of Favourites.
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 06:12:30 AM »
Gary, the International with the widened Cargostar cab was considered as part of the Paystar Series of trucks.

Canada's armed forces used many as aircraft refuellers - in fact, not just the military but many of the oil companies here have used them.
Right-wing Old School.

Hank's Truck Forum

Three Types of Favourites.
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 06:12:30 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs