If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Canadian Built Trucks (Pictures)  (Read 15777 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Canadian Built Trucks (Pictures)
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
I was VERY happy to see some Hayes and Pacific trucks on this trip to Canada. I even saw a few Canadian Kenworths and one Scot (first Scot I've ever seen)... would've been nice to see a Sicard or two also, but that's not the case. :roll:
Pacific P10 for sale in Port Alberni.

Pacific dump truck at an equipment sales building somewhere near Courtenay.

Hayes dump truck that I think is for sale somewhere along 19A.

Hayes in Port Alberni rusting away.

A terrible picture of a Scot dump truck somewhere in British Columbia.

What I think is a Canadian Kenworth (at least a Kenworth) that's sitting in pieces in Port Alberni.

I think this is a Canadian Kenworth too, but the emblem made me wonder if it was a Pacific.

A VERY impressive Canadian Kenworth off-road dump truck for sale in Port Alberni.

Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

Canadian Built Trucks (Pictures)
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »

rayman852002

Re: Canadian Built Trucks (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »
Those are some Excellent looking Pics PBT  :-D :-D :-D I like that old yellow Hayes Dump truck, I seen one of those at an Auction a few years back in Virginia and let me say they are some nice looking trucks  :-o :-o :-o

braziliantrucks

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:42 AM »
Nice trucks!

Pete B.

• From - Lomira, Wi.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:52 AM »
Cool pics! More I added to my collection of pics :-D
I'd Rather Be Driving A

Jake T.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:46:39 AM »
i wish that p10 were in better shape nice pictures :-D

wig wag

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:02 AM »
Nice pics. The third pic, showing the drivers side of the engine reveals some interesting features of things long gone.
The steel rod that is attached to the front top of the engine leading back to the fire wall is part of the compression
release mechanism.
This device when pulled from inside the cab would rotate a shaft that ran along the inside of the block
through the length of the push tube wells. The shaft had notches that when rotated against the exhaust valve push tubes
that were fitted with a collar, would lift the exhaust valves slightly off thier valve seat. This would prevent the cylinder from
building compression and allow the engine to "spin" over easily when you turned the key/push button.
This device was used in conjunction with the glow plug that is located in the intake manifold.(the wire with blue crimp
connector) Where the glow plug screws into the manifold there is a hex plug where an orfus plug with a fuel line (not shown)
would attach.
Inside the cab there would be a small hand pump that when manipulated would spay atomized fuel onto the glow plug and
fill the intake manifold with this combustible mixture. By pulling the compression release lever momenterily with the decompressed engine spinning fast, then let go, AND! at the same time pumping the hand pump like a mad fiend, and simultaneously counting
your rosary beads. the engine might start on a cold and frosty morning.
This engine looks like a Cummins NT-335. It has no after cooler. It must be a very old block. Newer engines such as NTC-350's
NTC-290's (FFC-full flow cooling) blocks where not cast to accomodate a compression release shaft.
The NH- 250 was the same block as the NT-335, but was not drilled for piston cooling
Cummins also had a "Super 250" inthe early 70's but that was a totaly different animal altogether. 

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:01:14 AM »
Wow, thanks for the information... I'm always interested in learning things like that.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:34 AM »
Pacific in Gold River.

Pacific in Tahsis.

wig wag

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »
Peterbiltrucker. You have got some very interesting pictures here. On closer examination of this groupe you
have a picture of the Western Forest Products truck. this truck has a Cummins NHRS engine. They had chain coupled driven
Superchargers and predated turbo's. 
These where not very common in trucks, as most highway trucks of the day could not accomodate an engine with that thing mounted on the side. These engines produced about 320 horsepower. That was about all you could get out of that engine
because of the small oil coolers and no piston cooling nozzles.
The unpainted bowl devise is an old style water filter. they where common on all engines
before spin on filters where invented. they had a removable top and contained a replacable chemically treated bag and
sacrificial zinc plates that would corrode and desolve instead of the inside components of the engine.
The oil pan on this engine also contained the lube oil filter. The filter was made from a long cotton sock that looked like
a leg that was cut off a pair of jeans, and rollod up with a wire mesh screen. This was inserted into the side of the oil pan.
 Yea! I'm not kidding!
Thanks for the memories. ---- Now, I feel old. Ha Ha!

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
Well, thanks for more information... I REALLY enjoyed seeing those older Canadian trucks.

D50

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:07 PM »
Nice catch on that Kenworth 849! I never really liked the looks of the Canadian KW fenders, but they are tough looking trucks.

Hanky

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 02:51:48 PM »
Great pictures.  Now I will not be able to sleep tonight. :-D   Pacific and Hayes dreams are comeing. :-o :-o

Hanky

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »
Nice catch on that Kenworth 849! I never really liked the looks of the Canadian KW fenders, but they are tough looking trucks.

Is the 849 the dump truck? Not familiar with very many Canadian models... I feel smart to be able to get the make. :-P

D50

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:59:01 PM »
Is the 849 the dump truck? Not familiar with very many Canadian models... I feel smart to be able to get the make. :-P
Yeah, the dump truck.  :-)  I didn't realize the picture above it was a Kenworth also, or I forgot when I typed up my post.  :| The logger has those funny looking Canadian fenders also. It could also be a 849 or maybe model LW-848... I don't know too much about Canadian models either.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:04:20 PM by D50 »

Hanky

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:57:28 AM »
The green highway logger is a 924 i think.  The 848, 849 and 850 are the off highway trucks.

Hanky

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:57:28 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs