Author Topic: Cars, Brakes, and Ditches  (Read 3650 times)

Nate

• Global Moderator
  • Just a boy living the dream
Cars, Brakes, and Ditches
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:12:09 PM »
Well this actually happened this morning, July 6.

I had a set of doubles coming southbound on I-5, just left Portland yard and I was in Woodburn, just north of Salem. I was crusing along in the middle lane, its a 6 lane freeway in that section, 3 on both sides, following a Chevy Malibu, a newer one. We were doing about 64 mph and all of a sudden a black Mercedes comes onto the freeway doing atleast 80 cuts in front of the Chevy and the Chevy slames on the brakes, I have no choice but to put it in the other lane because there were cars in the hammer lane, so I jerk the wheel over praying to god the whole time and end up sliding the trailer into the ditch and bringing it to a stop. The Chevy pulls over a few hundered feet in front of me and backs up to me. The young girl gets out and comes back and says I want to thank you for saving my life. I said what, and she said if you had not have done what you did my 3 younger siblings who were sleeping in the back seat and I would have probably been killed, and she shook my hand and asked me if I needed her to call anyone to get me out of the ditch and I said no because I thought I could pull it out, and she said thank you so much to me again and she got in her car and left.

Now I had a stuck rear trailer in a ditch, what was I going to do, it was only the right hand tire of the trailer, so I got in the truck and slowly pulled forward and looked to see if there was any traffic, no traffic, so I pulled the steering wheel very sharply to the left and gave it a little more fuel and it slowly popped up out of the ditch, I started grabbing gears and I was gone.

At the time I jerked the steering wheel towards the ditch I didn't know there were kids in the back seat of the car, and if I had reacted a split second later I could have clipped the bumper of the car and taken it with me. This was all avoidable had the black Mercedes propperly merged. Whoever it was could have killed 5 people this morning. Makes a guy wonder about people sometimes.
Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to change.- G.S.

Greg_E

• It's all about attitude!
    • Greg Elgart Collection
Re: Cars, Brakes, and Ditches
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
You're a hero Nate. :-)  It's quick thinking like that that makes you a good driver.  Glad nobody was hurt and that was really nice of that young lady to come back and thank you and offer some assistance.  Most people would probably just have kept going figuring you could handle it yourself.  I've never seen that much consideration in people out here, but I've seen Benz and Cadillacs doing 80 or 90 off ramps and it makes me sick :x  Thanks for posting that though.

Leonard

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »
GOOD JOB! hope it was an overnite!!
we had somthin similar happen when a drunk tried to move over! but thats another PM!
its a binder thing you just wouldnt get it...

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks Greg, I dont think myself as a hero, just was on my toes and paying attention at the time. But thanks again.

Leonard it was a new Great Dane UPS Freight trailer, tore up the rim kind of, nothing that the big O shop wont fix though. :wink:

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
Wow... I'm impressed by what you did, but I'm also impressed at that young lady for coming back. Not just for being kind and asking if you needed help, but the fact that she realized what you did for her and what the consequence might've been had you not done it.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

CACHman

• Rob Archer for Prime Minister of Canada!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:01:46 PM »
That's truly a great act that you performed Nate.  That's great what you did, but also that she noticed how skilled you are at your profession. 

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
Ditto CACHman's comment. Very impressive indeed, Nate. Not that impressed by the driving of that idiot in the Mercedes, though...  :x

Jan.
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." -Mark Twain

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:10 AM »
Thanks guys, means a lot. I remember the first time I got pulled over CACH reminded me of what the cop said, your a professional, so do a professional job at it. Thanks for reminding me. :-D

CACHman

• Rob Archer for Prime Minister of Canada!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
I'll never forget that Nate.  I was kinda thinking, if you weren't getting married, and this girl was single, and she was pretty fine looking (because we know that Nate has those high standards  :lol:), since she gave you her number, maybe you would have you know, dialed it, maybe gone out, and a few months later get married?  Then you guys could be featured in a UPS Freight article, saying how you guys met, and your a safe driver, and you are a dedicated employee. 

The Joe

• Regular Membership
  • Global non-Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »
Thanks Greg, I dont think myself as a hero, just was on my toes and paying attention at the time. But thanks again.

Nate, says so right here...

Nate
Global Moderator

The story doesn't suprise me, my biggest gripe was always merging vehicles coming on the freeway... However most were going too slow, impedding traffic, and since we can't own the hammer lane (legally) in California always seemed to cause bottlenecks... They just need to learn to get on the freeway, and do roughly 60 - 65 (within their ability and reason) by the time they were on the actual freeway... oh well...

As for the evasive manuevers, I know what it's like out there and I'll give you kudos for keeping it upright and for knowing your abilites. That does not mean it was the correct course of action for every driver, expecially w/ a set... I don't doubt for a second you were driving by your instinct and letting the truck tell you what it could do as your were reacting, it's the symbiotic relationship you have with the truck. It unfortionatly is one of those things it's best not to advertise to the company - if you know what I mean? Corporate companies have a real problem dishing out the "Even though you did the right thing, you did the wrong thing..." lip service... Glad your safe Nate, and ya are a Hero Member, but it's not by luck, it's by your attentivness and skill... Kudos...

nullarbor kid

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:21:58 AM »
Well it seems I arrived back on a high note  great work mate nothing takes the place of  concentration while on the job
and experience helps too. regards Ray

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 11:51:20 AM »
Nate, says so right here...

Nate
Global Moderator

The story doesn't suprise me, my biggest gripe was always merging vehicles coming on the freeway... However most were going too slow, impedding traffic, and since we can't own the hammer lane (legally) in California always seemed to cause bottlenecks... They just need to learn to get on the freeway, and do roughly 60 - 65 (within their ability and reason) by the time they were on the actual freeway... oh well...

As for the evasive manuevers, I know what it's like out there and I'll give you kudos for keeping it upright and for knowing your abilites. That does not mean it was the correct course of action for every driver, expecially w/ a set... I don't doubt for a second you were driving by your instinct and letting the truck tell you what it could do as your were reacting, it's the symbiotic relationship you have with the truck. It unfortionatly is one of those things it's best not to advertise to the company - if you know what I mean? Corporate companies have a real problem dishing out the "Even though you did the right thing, you did the wrong thing..." lip service... Glad your safe Nate, and ya are a Hero Member, but it's not by luck, it's by your attentivness and skill... Kudos...

Thanks Joe, it probably wasn't the coperate thing to do, but I am what the guys at work call old school ltl, they say you dont find it much anymore, and it comes with common sense and experience, I knew exactly what you were saying as well. Now if it had been triples I probably would have had it upside down, but I'd rather total a truck and put a mark against me than kill a car load of kids.

Thanks again, it sure wasn't my finest seconds, but it felt rewarding afterwards.

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
Well it seems I arrived back on a high note  great work mate nothing takes the place of  concentration while on the job
and experience helps too. regards Ray

Thanks Ray, im glad I was paying attention, I dont know if you can called me experienced, only put 25 years in, when I reach 40 you can take my rookie driver label off. :-D

Axel

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 04:57:58 AM »
You're a hero Nate. :-) 
Oh come on Nate be a sport,and yes you are a hero if u had been digging thew ur bag looking for....say mountain dew  :wink: you could have finnished your and there lifes, good job driver

Nate

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 05:22:11 AM »
I dont know, if I was going through my bag that would be not doing my job, then it would have been my fault, so I say I was just doing my job.
But thanks for that Axel.