If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: What is your favorite truck?  (Read 59992 times)

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
Re: What is your favorite truck?
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
Either cab is fine with me but I am strickly a one stick man. I had enough of that two stick BS when I was learning to drive back in 68. ONE STICK thank you ;D

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Oh no! Learning to drive period doesn't count. When I started very early 60's, out here in flatland rolly-hill Nebraska, everything was single axle 5 & 2-speed, maybe a R-96 roadranger on rare occasions.

All I knew about "sticks" was horror stories from self-ordained experts. Had me so scared I even spec'd out a new KW once, insisting on the Roadstranger (got lucky. Never followed thru doing that). The major drawback in the learning curve was, those who could do that, couldn't tell anybody else how they did that, no matter how bad they wanted to teach that.

They'd just sit there & watch me struggle & suffer, rake & grind, totally agast & lament, "I don't know what you're doing wrong". (what I was doing wrong was NOT taking my jack-shaft back down in revs with the main box, before coming back up to pick up the brownie)

And, you learn that one by feel & by ear. The tach is no help whatsoever in those fractions of a second, since it lags in showing the revs the motor's already at.

I finally sat down one evening with the old KW PR brochures, that showed all the tranny models, with their gear ratios. After about 2 hours, I saw the math that was going on, & that entire picture cleared up instantly. Driving was a pure pleasure ever since (except when I didn't have "sticks").

Sure, you soon learn side-issues to fine-tune technique, like NOT letting the jack-shaft go free while the trannys are still cold, getting the feel about when starting down a roller-coaster hill, as to whether "skip-shift" a brownie-split or just "straight-stick" up a gear on the main box only as the truck picks up speed all by itself.

"Sticks" do for trucking what in fighting, karate does to boxing.

It was like learning how to ride a bicycle without trainng wheels. How many so-called teachers on the subject are ever smart enough to tell their student, "Just turn the way you start to fall". That info along speeds up the learning-curve several painful hours. Same thing with "sticks".
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
It was like learning how to ride a bicycle without trainng wheels. How many so-called teachers on the subject are ever smart enough to tell their student, "Just turn the way you start to fall". That info along speeds up the learning-curve several painful hours. Same thing with "sticks".

:) ;)  Reminds me of my Father in Law, He drove a Tandem Gravel Truck all his life up through Algonquin Park ( Bancroft,On ) on some pretty steep " Oh Sh&% " hills..Two Stick Transmission..He'd shift like spreading soft butter on bread......
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
I learned on the little b-61`s w/the duplex hauling groceries around N.Y. state including swinging beef ( yuck ). I had a guy teaching me , his hands were so big he could shift the two sticks between his fingers. One by his pinky and one by his thumb. Damedest thing you ever saw. You should see him throw a side of beef. Don`t get him made ::)

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Does anyone here remember the infamous Mack unishift LoHiLoHiLoHiLoHi coupled with the Maxidyne that UPS was so famous for in their F model Macks? ;D

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »
Never drove the Mack stuff yet, but what little I rode along in, could tell it's an entire different timing event than Spicer's. The stick movement is far less, & the plunger-body Macks usually lose revs much faster than a Cummilong, which speeds things up a whole lot (used to set with a lot of run-off for hanging on revs for shifting).

I've even got an old 50 LJ straight truck, fire engine gas motor (no model # anyplace), twin plugs & distributors, with a Duplex & a 4-way  brownie. Lots of gears, most of which will be duplicated, but 3 sticks. Got a nice set of steer tires to put on this summer to at least run down the section road & back (no title so licensing's a chore in Nebraska). Might even be legal if I tie my farm-tractor mower on behind.

When I was a kid before getting married, whenever I couldn't get a load, I'd just park & 2-man with one of my pals. One older friend (God rest his soul) was the smoothest guy I ever saw with a pair of Spicers. It was hard to sleep behind him, since you wanted to just lay there & hear that 590 sing as he worked the power in & out, the revs up & down.

One afternoon we were on old 30 going west, east of Kemmerer, & he got up, sat in the buddy-seat, lit one up (what's why he left us much too soon). Running in 4th under, we about half way up a pull, started losing revs & looking ahead you knew it was time to go lower. Kicked both sticks out & as I waited for the jack-shaft to spool-down, I slowly built the revs up to where we wanted to be for 3rd direct, allowing for a slight loss of speed while that all happened. One of those few times ever (because he was watching), reaching thru the spokes, stick in each hand, & both sticks slipped right in, waited another fraction of a second as the gear train gathered itself up into the revs I was holding, & slowly walked in the power again, smooth as glass (got very lucky).

He took a puff, silently nodded in mock approval (he always shifted with one hand only, one stick at a time, dead-on smooth), & then said, "I've heard that's the way the big straps drive. I've heard that! I guess that's okay, too. As for me, I think it looks like a monkey that doesn't know which hand to j--- o-- with!"

I had the world's greatest teachers. Slightly crude, but extremely funny, & I miss them all.

fordl8000

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
My favorites are these

1:  Ford L8000 (pretty much all the L series Fords before the Aeromax's came into play)
2:  Kenworth K100
3:  GMC Brigadier
4:  Mack R600
5:  Autocar
6:  Peterbilt 379

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2013, 05:56:13 AM »
My favorites are, in order of preference:

1955 KW (last year for the hood with the panel between the hinges, which was 8" longer than the single-hinge 56)
1954 KW
1953 KW
1952 KW
1951 KW
1950 KW

As everybody can see, I like the newer stuff better.

1985kenworth

• Regular Membership
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
my all-time favorite is the kenworth w900a model then next to that would be the w900b model followed by the cabover k-100 aerodyne..can you tell i am a kw man... ;D
Owner...Operator....Got To Operate To Own!

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
You know I would love to have that Mack at the factory with the Bulldog paintjob on it .That is sooooo friggin cool :P :P :P :P :P :P

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs