If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Blue Seventy-Two  (Read 3000 times)

I.B.2strokin

Blue Seventy-Two
« on: May 12, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
I loved her from the first time I laid eyes on her.
I loved her as ever a man could love a machine.
There was never another truck like Blue Seventy-Two!!!

I was driving the '92 White-GMC WCA that I had been driving for the past few months when I got a call from the boss. " I've got something for you when you get back to the yard. I think you're going to like it." That was all he said and would'nt say any more. I didn't know what to make of it but I tried to forget about it and went about my work.

This particular truck I had been driving was a non-descript white colored White-GMC (no matter how much I washed it it always seemed to look dirty) with a non-descript 370 hp Detroit Ser. 60 engine and a non-descript 9 speed transmission. This truck along with the five identical units that our fearless leader had bought at auction (to replace our mostly cabover fleet) with the assurance that they were top-notch fleet maintained vehicles were nothing but lemons plagued with constant problems from day 1.

Well, when I pulled into the yard on that Saturday in the late spring of 1996 I had forgotten all about the boss' promise of a surprise earlier in the week. I dropped my trailer, parked my tractor, and got my laundry, etc out of the truck and was walking over to my car when something unusual caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. There she was, sitting over in the open doorway of the shop...Blue Seventy-Two!!!

I immediately dropped my bags and ran over. Could this be what he was talking about?!??!!! Here in front of me was a pristine example of a 1972 International Transtar Cabover. It was painted in three-tone metallic blue with silver accents. Inside the garage were other unfamiliar trucks of various makes but they were all conventionals. I was the only driver in the fleet who had been very vocal about the merrits of cabovers. Could this possibly be my new truck???

Hank's Truck Forum

Blue Seventy-Two
« on: May 12, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »

Chris_E

Re: Blue Seventy-Two
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
You have a real knack for writing!  I wish I had stories like you to tell.  Sadly, I don't have any trucking related stories.  But you leave me in suspense!   :-o
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Hank's Truck Forum

Re: Blue Seventy-Two
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs