If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: So,...You want to drive a conventional, eh ?...  (Read 3004 times)

I.B.2strokin

So,...You want to drive a conventional, eh ?...
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
After the Bumble Bee went on to that big truck stop in the sky my boss had to find another truck for me to drive. For the first couple of weeks, until he could buy a replacement, he rented a truck off of a friend of his. The truck was an '87 Freightliner FLC 120 with a set back axle. This truck was one mean looking s.o.b. of a truck. All business and no b.s. in its appearance. The only things on it that were chromed were the mirrors, horns, and the single stack. The cab, hood, and 42' box sleeper were painted red while everything else, including the wheels, fuel tanks, air cleaners, grill, and bumper was black. Adding to its tough look were the single round headlights, as opposed to the standard quad rectangular ones. The engine was a 350 Cat. Although an improvement over the 300 Cummins that I was used to, it was geared low and had a top speed of only about 61 mph. But it was a pullin' horse! The truck was newer and in much better shape than the one I'd been in. On top of that it was kept very neat and clean inside and out. I couldn't wait to drive it!!!

At the time, it seemed to me that conventionals were usually reserved for more experianced drivers and here I was with only a couple of months on the road and I was already behind the wheel of this long-hooded beauty. Every time I would pass one of those big company drivers in their cabovers, who probably had at least a year or two under their belts, I would sit back tall and proud in my seat and give 'em a wave with a big smile on my face!

That was...until the the first night when I pulled into the truck stop to find a place to park. You see, all of the trucks I had driven up to this point were short wheel-based cabovers. I quickly found that backing a long-hood conventional into a parking spot in a jam-packed Flying-J at 11:30 pm was a whole different ball game! To make matters worse, we had only started using 53 foot trailers a week or so before and so I was used to cabovers and '48's and now I was trying to back a 260" conventional and 53 footer! The CB was a-buzz with drivers laughing and cursing about this rookie driver who was tying up the parking lot for a half an hour trying to get backed into a space. All of the pride that was in me earlier that day had vanished. I was humiliated! I finally had to accept help from a couple of drivers to get backed in. Even though my stomach was grumbling I immediately retreated into yhe sleeper with my tail between my legs and closed the curtain and went to sleep.

The next day was not much better when I got to my delivery point. In fact, it was a pretty lousy week. By weeks end when I finally made it home I was begging my boss to get me another cabover!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:22:02 PM by I.B.2strokin »

Hank's Truck Forum

So,...You want to drive a conventional, eh ?...
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs