If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway  (Read 11440 times)

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
Re: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
Does anyone remember ever seeing Anchor Motor Freight run a set of highway doubles on the Tway? I think I only saw two in all the time I ran up and down the pike. I ran doubles foe the Wheels, Paper Cutters divisions of Fays Drugs Company out of Syracuse, N.Y.
I wish I could find someone that had pictures of our trucks. I lost most of mine when I moved to Az.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
I've seen a photo..........probably someones collection on Hanks main site. Give me a day or so & i'll see if I can dig it up.......just walked in the door an hour ago from Florida & trying to get the car emptied.  ;D

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
Looking in the book AMERICAN CAR HAULERS by Richard Copello I found on page 100 a picture of a Turnpike Double operated Commercial Carriers with twosingle axle trailers each holding 5 1961 Chrylser automobiles pulled by a single axle Dodge tractor with a car on it's head rack.

Page 107 has a picture of 1963 Ramblers being hauled on a turnpike double set by a company called ARCO.
The tractor is a small Diamond T.

IIRC there were some early tests of LCV's being run on Highway 401 by a Canadian car carrier company but I don't recall which one.

Does anyone remember ever seeing Anchor Motor Freight run a set of highway doubles on the Tway? I think I only saw two in all the time I ran up and down the pike. I ran doubles foe the Wheels, Paper Cutters divisions of Fays Drugs Company out of Syracuse, N.Y.
I wish I could find someone that had pictures of our trucks. I lost most of mine when I moved to Az.

Chris_E

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
CF and Roadway did pull thruway doubles. I believe Charlie Hackett said he pulled them. The power were Mack CH613s. Never have seen a photo. APA also pulled them. Roadway was pulling them fairly recently right before the merger as they still had the authority from a previous acquisition (Western-Gillette?).
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
I think Anchor Motor Freight failed because they were grossly under powered with their GMC`s. I only recall seeing them a few times on the TWAY.

dockmen027

• "Base to 101"
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
Gary asked me to post this photo that I believe he took out in the Rochester area.......

John K                      260 Brockway

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
Hey, I think the kite on that set might still be a city trailer somewhere. ;D

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs