If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway  (Read 14020 times)

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
Re: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
Does anyone remember ever seeing Anchor Motor Freight run a set of highway doubles on the Tway? I think I only saw two in all the time I ran up and down the pike. I ran doubles foe the Wheels, Paper Cutters divisions of Fays Drugs Company out of Syracuse, N.Y.
I wish I could find someone that had pictures of our trucks. I lost most of mine when I moved to Az.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
I've seen a photo..........probably someones collection on Hanks main site. Give me a day or so & i'll see if I can dig it up.......just walked in the door an hour ago from Florida & trying to get the car emptied.  ;D

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
Looking in the book AMERICAN CAR HAULERS by Richard Copello I found on page 100 a picture of a Turnpike Double operated Commercial Carriers with twosingle axle trailers each holding 5 1961 Chrylser automobiles pulled by a single axle Dodge tractor with a car on it's head rack.

Page 107 has a picture of 1963 Ramblers being hauled on a turnpike double set by a company called ARCO.
The tractor is a small Diamond T.

IIRC there were some early tests of LCV's being run on Highway 401 by a Canadian car carrier company but I don't recall which one.

Does anyone remember ever seeing Anchor Motor Freight run a set of highway doubles on the Tway? I think I only saw two in all the time I ran up and down the pike. I ran doubles foe the Wheels, Paper Cutters divisions of Fays Drugs Company out of Syracuse, N.Y.
I wish I could find someone that had pictures of our trucks. I lost most of mine when I moved to Az.

Chris_E

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
CF and Roadway did pull thruway doubles. I believe Charlie Hackett said he pulled them. The power were Mack CH613s. Never have seen a photo. APA also pulled them. Roadway was pulling them fairly recently right before the merger as they still had the authority from a previous acquisition (Western-Gillette?).
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
I think Anchor Motor Freight failed because they were grossly under powered with their GMC`s. I only recall seeing them a few times on the TWAY.

dockmen027

• "Base to 101"
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
Gary asked me to post this photo that I believe he took out in the Rochester area.......

John K                      260 Brockway

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
Hey, I think the kite on that set might still be a city trailer somewhere. ;D

Updated 8/10/2018

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
Bringing back an old thread based on observations today on the NY Thruway (I-90). Noticed only one LTL outfit pulling pikers & that was UPS but there were at least 5-6 others I saw that were pulling 28' pups. Question is as this seems to be a pretty heavy traffic lane for LTL why aren't other outfits such as Estes, ODFL, YRC & others pulling pikers?

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 04:07:09 AM »
Most of the other LTL'ers use 28 foot doubles across their systems. I don't believe that the NYS Thruway allows triples.
Are the new long trailers that some are ordering set up for LCV operation?

Bringing back an old thread based on observations today on the NY Thruway (I-90). Noticed only one LTL outfit pulling pikers & that was UPS but there were at least 5-6 others I saw that were pulling 28' pups. Question is as this seems to be a pretty heavy traffic lane for LTL why aren't other outfits such as Estes, ODFL, YRC & others pulling pikers?

Chris_E

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »
I think it just has to do with the specialized equipment involved. Carriers want versatile equipment that can be loaded anywhere. If they were to pull Thruway sets, there better be consistent dedicated freight to warrant it. I know NEMF, Pyle, and R+L pull some sets up that way, but that might be the Mass. Pike.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »