If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway  (Read 14684 times)

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
Re: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Boston Buffalo, Penn Yan Express, Howards Express, Red Star, Boss Linco, St. Johnsbury and then there were a lot of companies like Price Chopper, P&C Markets, Wegmans, and Acme Markets. I also remember Gypsum Express. UPS ran both highway and pups. I only remember CF running pups. Roadway and RPS ran pups.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

hwyhaulier

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »
Douglass-2011 - Lodge Members -

TKS for your commentary. Your writer joined CFWY at Buffalo in 1964. At date, it very active with operation of
"Thruway Doubles" (pairs of 40' semi trailers). By the time, there a separate class of Freightliner COE types,
numbered as '36-xxxx' assigned to service on Boston - Buffalo - Chicago route. Notable, the sets ran on nine
axles, which allowed maximum loadings.

Into 1965, your writer moved to Chicago, and later to California. CFWY very much into an objective of using
and operating 'Western Pups' in its system throughout the US. Evidently, it signaled end of use of "Thruway
Doubles" combinations. Game Re-Cap? Your own recollections from a very few later years. Seems to me and
IIRC, NY TWY Authority still does not permit use of triple 'Western Pups', tho that seemingly an obvious use?

..................................Vern..............................

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
IIRC, NY TWY Authority still does not permit use of triple 'Western Pups', tho that seemingly an obvious use?

Vern

Only info I could find re NY Thruway triples was that on March 26 1971 after a 3 1/2 year test triple tandem trailer tests were discontinued because the involved companies could find no economic benefit to using them. I'm not sure if this related to 3 48 footers or 3 28 foot pups though. ??? :-\  I've seen other info re NYT triple pups but couldn't find it just now. Seems early to rule out triple pups since IIRC doubles were only allowed in NJ in the early '80s.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Charlie - Lodge Members -

Time flies! You noted doubles ("Western Pup") config in NJ in the 1980s. In the era, recall there had been changes
in Federal Regulations, which permitted much wider use of the combinations throughout US...

Doubtless, there may have been 1970s tests of "Triple Pups" (i.e., 28' trailers) over routes in the NY TWY System.
It would have been useful for some LTL Carriers, UPS, and a few others which would be helped by the "cube" limits,
rather than full by weights. But, NY TWY only a smaller part of Boston - Chicago routes. As it turned out, "Triple Pups"
began to be authorized in several selected Western States. IMHO, a "tough sell" for Eastern area lines?

SIGH! All so long ago now...

................................Vern..........................

Rick Sousa

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 04:02:25 AM »
Never seen a triple back East but out West they were common. The company that I remember seeing most was Viking on the I-5 corridor and do remember the term wiggle wagon having it's  true meaning applied. They were all over the lane of travel. The last set up that I have seen in the triple form was dump trucks out in Nevada and that was a dump truck pulling  two pup type dump boxes.

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »

Vern

Only info I could find re NY Thruway triples was that on March 26 1971 after a 3 1/2 year test triple tandem trailer tests were discontinued because the involved companies could find no economic benefit to using them. I'm not sure if this related to 3 48 footers or 3 28 foot pups though. ??? :-\  I've seen other info re NYT triple pups but couldn't find it just now. Seems early to rule out triple pups since IIRC doubles were only allowed in NJ in the early '80s.
Triple pups. I remember seeing photos and an article of Red Star Express trying them on the Thruway.

Updated 8/10/2018

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
Credit goes to Dave Faust who has a picture on HTP of a Red Star Express Ford with triple pups from a magazine cover in the '70s. Red Star tested these for the NYTA back then.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
Penn Yan Express ran double bottoms for years on the NY Thruway then became heavily involved in the triples testing while it lasted. Penn Yan experimented with different combinations when the NYTA wasn't looking........the optimum set for safety and handling being 1 45' lead trailer and 2 26' pups. In the spring of 1971 AAA launched a massive ad campaign via newspapers, TV and radio against the triple pups citing many reasons...........Penn Yan saw its hard earned reputation being tarnished and bowed out of the triple pups testing program (economics was another reason). It went back to double bottoms solely on the Thruway.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:34:49 AM by charlie »

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
LCV triples and long doubles were debated over here in PA not too long ago as well. Many lobbied against it due to the belief that most of the roads were not structured for such long vehicles as well as many bridges and other parts of the roadway would have had a hard time holding the weight.

Updated 8/10/2018

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »
Did Stott-Davis ever run doubles or did they just run the dog and pup set ups? ( straight job and pup )

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 01:30:50 PM »
Did Stott-Davis ever run doubles or did they just run the dog and pup set ups? ( straight job and pup )
Doug Grieve photo showing a Stott-Davis piker.

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
How many of those old companies are still running under their original names on the TWAY?

Brockway

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
Let's not forget "BIG 'O" On The Go......Oneida

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Maislin Bros?
Did they run Pikers between Albany (where ever I87 hooked into the Thruway) on their Montreal - NYC lane or out of Buffalo?
Boss-Linco was another BUF carrier - did they run any?

hwyhaulier

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »
Rob - Lodge Members -

Your writer absent the Photos to document, but... Buffalo based BOSS-LINCO surely a 'slam dunk' on the point?
MAISLIN? Who knows? No recollections. Yes, it plausible it ran the sets between Albany and Exit 1. On runs, BUF -
North Jersey? The better route with the 'old road' via Scranton (ala' RODGERS MOTOR, Scranton based)...

ONEIDA? Indeed, they were out there playing on NY TWY with 'Big Doubles'. Random thought? Whatever NAVAJO.
They may have had big sets between Akron and Chicago. Whether on NY TWY? Don't recall...

...............................Vern.............................

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »