If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway  (Read 11471 times)

jimh721

• Regular Membership
Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »
Maybe some of our brothers from the north have some answers.
The New York State Thruway along with The Mass Pike and The
Ohio Pike had 40 foot doubles during the 50's,60's & 70's.
Do any of you old guys, even older than me, 63, know who
the origional one's were.
There were a lot of LTL carriers back than but not to much now.

Thanks

JimH

Hank's Truck Forum

« on: January 05, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Re: Double Bottoms on The NYS Thruway
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 04:59:59 AM »
Quote from: jimh721
Maybe some of our brothers from the north have some answers.
The New York State Thruway along with The Mass Pike and The
Ohio Pike had 40 foot doubles during the 50's,60's & 70's.
Do any of you old guys, even older than me, 63, know who
the origional one's were.
There were a lot of LTL carriers back than but not to much now.

Thanks

JimH

Well Jim; I can't claim to be an "old guy" (yet); I'm only 52!  :roll:
I remember going to the 1964 New York Worlds Fair and seeing Thruway doubles. UPS drop frames stick in my memory. Later I remember seeing LYONS Transportation, Red Star Express and Boss Linco in the 70's.
Red Star had a large operation up here in Toronto and most of the Red Star trailers I saw had the pintle hooks and plumbing for doubles.
Have you looked at the David Faust Collection on the website?
Also; the Fred Gruin Collection.

Rob

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 11:11:39 AM »
There was a good article done in Popular Science in 1960 on turnpike doubles run by Western Express along the N.Y Thruway.  They rode with the truck from Ma. to Ripley N.Y. @ the Pa. line.

OL'TC

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 02:46:01 PM »
I ran the NY Thruway back in the late 60's and 70's. If fact the company I work'd for in 1975 applied for permits to run doubles .They put in for 6 of the brokers and most got rejected ,some had traffic violations, only 2 of us had the proper equipment. You had to file a letter from the builder of the tractor that it could meet all these requirements. The 2 of us that got Ok figured we should get double the rate for pulling two traillers but the company only wanted give us another 10 %. So with all the agravation trying to deliver one laod into NYC let alone two. That ended before it started. At that time all the Marshelling yards at NJ  was full so would have to drop over in Whie Plains. Sorry to get rambling on. But I'll set down and see just how many I can remember and how the hell to spell them *laugh*

CAN MAN

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
Picture on HAMMERTIMES picture site on HANKS picture page of a ZAVITZ BROS Freightliner pulling doubles

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »
Did Melburn haul containers in a Thruway Train setup? I saw 40 frames with the rear pintle hooks.
Doug Grieve has a a picture of a Tallman rig hauling doubles of steel.

Hammer Time

• Global Moderator
  • Technical Advisor
    • Owner Operators Connect
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
Not exactly on topic.... A Tallman 352 Pete followed me down Highway 20 through Fonthill this morning. They certainly still have a unique fleet of Company/Owner Operator trucks.? :-D?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 09:18:46 PM by Hammer Time »

rattlesnake

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:08:25 AM »
I ran the NY Thruway back in the late 60's and 70's. If fact the company I work'd for in 1975 applied for permits to run doubles .They put in for 6 of the brokers and most got rejected ,some had traffic violations, only 2 of us had the proper equipment. You had to file a letter from the builder of the tractor that it could meet all these requirements. The 2 of us that got Ok figured we should get double the rate for pulling two traillers but the company only wanted give us another 10 %. So with all the agravation trying to deliver one laod into NYC let alone two. That ended before it started. At that time all the Marshelling yards at NJ  was full so would have to drop over in Whie Plains. Sorry to get rambling on. But I'll set down and see just how many I can remember and how the hell to spell them *laugh*

There was an outfit hauling doubles on the Thruway called Specter or Spectre; they had cabover Petes with big cats and passed everything (especially my 318 detroit!!)

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »

Boll Weevil

• Regular Membership
  • "Ford W9000's rule!"-Boll Weevil, age 11
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »
I'm not sure who may have done it first, but 2 others I remember seeing alot are Maislin and Penn Yan Express.
Jim

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 07:33:40 PM »
Last year at Macungie, one of the vendors had a large framed photograph of a set of Maislin turnpike doubles, pulled by a 63" BBC K100.  Maislin was pretty big down here after they bought their way to Baltimore in '75 (Highway Express out of Philly), but I don't ever remember seeing a Maislin trailer with a pintle hook.

I have also seen pictures of Mushroom turnpikes, but again, don't ever remember seeing any of their trailers with pintles.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

jake

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
Did Melburn haul containers in a Thruway Train setup? I saw 40 frames with the rear pintle hooks.

OH YES, MELBURN HAULED DOUBLES ALRIGHT, I GOT THEM STARTED ON THAT, THE SAME AS AT ZAVITZ.  IN THE CASE OF MELBURN, OLE LARSEN DID MOST OF THE DOUBLE TROUBLE PULLING.  NEXT TIME I SEE OLE I'M GOING TO ASK IF HE HAS ANY PHOTOS OF HIS FORMER TRUCKS.
JAKE
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:08:46 PM by Rob Archer »
YOU GOT IT DIDN'T YOU??

WELL, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT!!

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
Only 9 years since the last post but what the heck. ;D According to this 2010 article Red Star Express and Denver - Chicago were 2 of the early entries.

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2010/10/Thruway-Doubles/3690831.html

Rick Sousa

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:21 AM »
Better late than never.  I ran the NY Thruway and Mass Pike quite a bit in the 70's and many fallen flags did the turnpike doubles. On my recent trip on both roads  I saw one or two sets of turnpike doubles even the compounds at the exits had  just a few dropped trailers. I believe it goes to show just how much manufacturing has been lost in the Northeast corridor of the US.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:06:23 AM »
Charlie - Lodge Members -

Not to forget the "Route Of The Corn Flakes" (Home Office, Portland, OR). The Hemmings Photo (seen in link just above) shows
what a suspiciously possible CFWY combination. The WHITE COE shown looks like a series of similar units which CFWY brought
over from its buy of LIBERTY MOTOR (Buffalo) and MOTOR CARGO (Akron). Many of the WHITE units had the CFWY standard
green and red applied along the way. It was rather a downright "nutty" era when CFWY put together its East Of Chicago
system...

BTW. Seem to recall photos of St. Johnsbury running similar sets...

.................................Vern.........................

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:06:23 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs